ta02t

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

rfoxloon20

ta02t

Post by rfoxloon20 »

Hi,
just finished building a ta02t f 150 baja, mostly stock with the following hop ups: full bearings, aluminum prop shaft and couplers, turnbuckle steering and front upper arms, stock rear ball diff and ta03 front ball diff, sport tuned motor running 4000 mah 2s 35c lipo, tble02s esc, stock pinion. This truck is quite snappy with the sport tuned and lipo, so I am having trouble driving it under full acceleration. It just wants to spin out, or if it finds traction it rolls. I have a trf 201 with a 8.5t brushless and its almost as easy to drive as this truck. I dont know if it is the kit included tires ar the 27 degree faranheit temps making the tires very hard thus reducing grip. Im finding I can only drive it slowly without just doing donuts, which may well be the case until I get used to the way it drives, my daughter lunchbox is easier to drive than this, lol. I honestly read that the touring ta02 is a stable driving chassis. Any suggestions are very welcome,
thank you for reading.
also, are there any necessary hop ups needed out of the box I dont already have? Im assuming softer tires would be a start.

kaiser
Approved Member

Re: ta02t

Post by kaiser »

rear diff too tight?
or you have zero rear traction.

thats all i can think of unless the camber is really out of whack.

orangemazda
Approved Member

Post by orangemazda »

Any pics? I'm restoring a ta02t Hummer and I'm having trouble finding the proper aluminum prop shaft. Which one did you use?

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

dldiaz
Approved Member

Post by dldiaz »

I would guess the hard, original tires are the answer to your handling problem?

Although, I run a few of these chassis with Sport Tuned motors and they handle fairly well with stock tires.
(granted, I am not trying to set low lap times with these models) :lol:

I would certainly check the rear diff setting.
It is not a very good diff to begin with, but it works fine for a 4wd with Sport Tuned power.

Also, check for the inside front wheel/axle to bind at full turning lock, this can cause a quick spin-out.

Necessary hop-up:
Replace the stock plastic motor mount, it will warp over time (especially with a hot motor) and allow the pinion gear to slip and strip the spur gear - you will hear this gear grinding noise upon hard acceleration...
Replace with an aluminum piece, which also doubles as a heat-sink for the motor.
I use the Pargu motor mounts on several TA-01 / TA-02 chassis:
http://www.pargustore.com/alloy-parts/tamiya/ta01-ta02.html

Cheers!
-dldiaz

rfoxloon20

Post by rfoxloon20 »

I have pics, just cant upload as they are apparently to big. The aluminum propshaft is a gpm unit from asiatees.com. the diffs are quite tight, I dont know much about setting them, just cranked em up so there was no slop, guessing I should back them down a bit, eh? What is the proper procedure for tightening them?

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

rfoxloon20 wrote:The diffs are quite tight, I dont know much about setting them, just cranked em up so there was no slop, guessing I should back them down a bit, eh? What is the proper procedure for tightening them?
Unfortunately, the TA02T manual just says "Tighten up fully".... so the assumption is that if you've got everything in the correct direction, with the proper lubrication in place (type and amount), and there's no manufacturing tolerance issues, then the diff will be as good as you can get. Great in theory.......

Ball diff building is one of the black arts in rc.... I'd rather paint bodies than build ball diffs, which is why I have so many projects left unfinished!

Interestingly, I just purchased one of these vehicles an hour ago (TA02T F150)... so will see what it's like first-hand when it arrives in a few days....

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

rfoxloon20

Post by rfoxloon20 »

I ended up swapping the front gear diff back in it and will put the ball diff in the m05 im piecing together via amazon. I might put the silver can back in it and shove the sport tuned into the tt01 that I bought it for until I can control the f 150 better. I really think it is the tires. When I get a chance and it gets above 32 degrees I will swap my sons neo scorcher tires with it and give it a scoot, he wont mind. Let me know how you like the f 150 and if you find it a handfull as well.

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

FWIW i don't think the diff will fit an m05.

rfoxloon20

Post by rfoxloon20 »

kaiser wrote:FWIW i don't think the diff will fit an m05.
I know, I ordered a m03 diff and it showed up in ta03 packaging from tamiya, I cross examined the m03/m05 ball diffs and they are the same according to parts exploded diagram. I then looked over the m03 and m05 manual and they have the same gears, so then I triple checked and it appears that it might. If not I can whip up the gear diff f4om parts, thank you for the heads up though. I go into every build with skeptacism and lots of hope.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

rfoxloon20 wrote:
I know, I ordered a m03 diff and it showed up in ta03 packaging from tamiya, I cross examined the m03/m05 ball diffs and they are the same according to parts exploded diagram. I then looked over the m03 and m05 manual and they have the same gears, so then I triple checked and it appears that it might. If not I can whip up the gear diff f4om parts, thank you for the heads up though. I go into every build with skeptacism and lots of hope.
The 53267 TA03 Ball Differential is a valid option for the M05 - it's listed as such in the original M05 manual. However, by the time you get to the M05Ra manual, they specify the 54194 M05 Ball Diff Set. Interestingly, the M05 Pro has neither listed as an upgrade... strange days indeed!

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

Incredible_Serious wrote:
rfoxloon20 wrote:
The 53267 TA03 Ball Differential is a valid option for the M05 - it's listed as such in the original M05 manual. However, by the time you get to the M05Ra manual, they specify the 54194 M05 Ball Diff Set. Interestingly, the M05 Pro has neither listed as an upgrade... strange days indeed!

Alex
So of course the real interesting question is whether the 54194 ball diff has the same physical dimensions as the 53267 ball diff. Because although the TA03 ball diff is an improvement over the TA01/02 ball diff, it still has its issues...so a better option would be interesting.