TA-02T Ford Ranger

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

rfoxloon20

Re: TA-02T Ford Ranger

Post by rfoxloon20 »

That does look good, I removed some chassis material from the battdry area and can fit a hardcase lipo in it without weakening the structure, it rips. I just got a set of j concepts 2.2 rulux wheels for the 1/16 e revo, they have about 1/2 inch offset widening the track almost an inch or more and the tire selection now is endless, the stock bf goodrich tires were like hard plastic.

Ke30mandy

Post by Ke30mandy »

I just put one of these kits together. All I added was bearings, photon 2 motor. During Assy, I laughed at the tires. They are almost plastic like. After test drive, I decided I will not be doing a box art paint job on this. Definetely needs softer tires. On full throttle starts on pavement, it goes sideways and into tight donuts. You can't avoid it. Counter steering does nothing. I tipped truck over a half dozen times. Which for me is rare. I am just glad I only used regular diff grease in the front. Normally I would have loaded the front diff with extra heavy diff grease. The rear ball diff seems fine to me. Moves freely with no binding. Not too loose not too tight. Once warmer weather hits, I am going to experiment with tires and rims first. Then I am going to look at widening the very narrow track.

rfoxloon20

Post by rfoxloon20 »

Ke30mandy wrote:I just put one of these kits together. All I added was bearings, photon 2 motor. During Assy, I laughed at the tires. They are almost plastic like. After test drive, I decided I will not be doing a box art paint job on this. Definetely needs softer tires. On full throttle starts on pavement, it goes sideways and into tight donuts. You can't avoid it. Counter steering does nothing. I tipped truck over a half dozen times. Which for me is rare. I am just glad I only used regular diff grease in the front. Normally I would have loaded the front diff with extra heavy diff grease. The rear ball diff seems fine to me. Moves freely with no binding. Not too loose not too tight. Once warmer weather hits, I am going to experiment with tires and rims first. Then I am going to look at widening the very narrow track.
You can use mini e revo jconcepts rulux wheels that have an offset along with some traxxas 12mm wheel hexes that are almost twice as wide as the stock ones. I used both to widen my track about 1/2 inch on each side, I also used 3 hole shock pistons with lighter oil now I cant get it ti traction roll. The great thing about the jconcepts wheels are that they are 2.2 which opens a wide choice of buggy/truck tires.

Ke30mandy

Post by Ke30mandy »

I picked up some dirt hogs on mini e revo wheels today on the cheap. The track with Tires and wheels make it 8-5/16". With the traxxas hexes off my rustler vxl, it jumps to 8-5/8". I tested it without the hexes and it is 100% better. I also switched the Pistons in the front to single hole and added a fat collar to both. A big jump from the 6-7/8" with stock wheels and tires. Full throttle acceleration is straight line with no spinning out. Much much better.

rfoxloon20

Post by rfoxloon20 »

Ke30mandy wrote:I picked up some dirt hogs on mini e revo wheels today on the cheap. The track with Tires and wheels make it 8-5/16". With the traxxas hexes off my rustler vxl, it jumps to 8-5/8". I tested it without the hexes and it is 100% better. I also switched the Pistons in the front to single hole and added a fat collar to both. A big jump from the 6-7/8" with stock wheels and tires. Full throttle acceleration is straight line with no spinning out. Much much better.
So are you saying it is better without the gray traxxas hexes or that you tested it without the hexes and it is better with them?
I ran the dirt hawgs a couple times and it rubbed the wheel arches alot, so I gave them to my boy for his neo scorcher and I switched to jconcepts buggy tires.
what are you running for shock oil wieght?

Ke30mandy

Post by Ke30mandy »

rfoxloon20 wrote:
Ke30mandy wrote:I picked up some dirt hogs on mini e revo wheels today on the cheap. The track with Tires and wheels make it 8-5/16". With the traxxas hexes off my rustler vxl, it jumps to 8-5/8". I tested it without the hexes and it is 100% better. I also switched the Pistons in the front to single hole and added a fat collar to both. A big jump from the 6-7/8" with stock wheels and tires. Full throttle acceleration is straight line with no spinning out. Much much better.
So are you saying it is better without the gray traxxas hexes or that you tested it without the hexes and it is better with them?
I ran the dirt hawgs a couple times and it rubbed the wheel arches alot, so I gave them to my boy for his neo scorcher and I switched to jconcepts buggy tires.
what are you running for shock oil wieght?
I only tried it without the traxxas hexes. I am using AE 40 wt oil. One fat and one medium collars on both front shocks, one fat on each rear. I also removed the little limiter on all four shocks for more travel. I trimmed the body more to clear the tires. I might try the traxxas hexes, but for now i am satisfied with the very predictable handling. I really lucked out on these tires and wheels. My local hobby shop had them in a clearance bin for 10.00 a pair.

Ke30mandy

Post by Ke30mandy »

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

Ke30mandy wrote:I just put one of these kits together. All I added was bearings, photon 2 motor. During Assy, I laughed at the tires. They are almost plastic like. After test drive, I decided I will not be doing a box art paint job on this. Definetely needs softer tires. On full throttle starts on pavement, it goes sideways and into tight donuts. You can't avoid it.
Weird. Tamiya must have changed the compound used for the tires, then. My Blazing Star (TA01 Manta Ray-based) uses the same tires and it doesn't do that (the wide track might help tho). Or are you using a powerful brushless system? Note that that might kill the transmission in the rear gear box pretty quickly because the gear box cover tends to lift under high power unless you reinforce certain parts (there's a tutorial somewhere on Tamiyaclub explaining how to do that).

Ke30mandy

Post by Ke30mandy »

No. I am just using a 20t duratrax photon 2. The tires are like almost hard plastic. Kind of like something on a toy. Kit is brand new. So I doubt it's due to old tires. So much better the way it is now.

rfoxloon20

Post by rfoxloon20 »

I also am running the photon 2, and my tires which I just bought the kit new in january, are also like hard plastic. I swapped em out for jconcepts hybrids, 20 times better. Even my old thundershot doesnt like those tires.

Ke30mandy

Post by Ke30mandy »

I really like those photon motors. I think they suit the tamiya cars well. I have one in 15 kits I own. The only one that I wasn't crazy about was when I put one in my re-re bruiser. Hasn't shifted into 4wd right ever since. That's a different post though.

crazy nick
Approved Member

Post by crazy nick »

Just bought this ta02t chevy s10. Looks to be mint, also comes with a spare parts near complete roller.

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

That looks pretty sweet! Nice find!
Jeff

crazy nick
Approved Member

Post by crazy nick »

Thanks SFC K, can't wait till it gets here. Here is a body off shot from the seller. Image

rfoxloon20

Post by rfoxloon20 »

crazy nick wrote:Thanks SFC K, can't wait till it gets here. Here is a body off shot from the seller. Image
thats a clean score, it would be great if the msc got replaced with a hobbywing ezrun 1060esc or similar, prop shaft got upgraded with a gpm alloy shaft with alloy drive cups and if you could widen the track a bit as they are a little tippy.
looks like the tires and rims are nicely upgraded.
I know mods cost money and for me every hop up hurts the wallet, im sure its a very nice runner as it is. Are you going to run it or shelf it?
enjoy! Looks awesome!