such a long time ago....

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

dsmith
Approved Member

Re: such a long time ago....

Post by dsmith »

nice cars dan!....well I did get a NIB SS BITD...I had to trade in my brat to get it...and it took me a minute but I found the original receipt...haha

broodenburg
Approved Member

Post by broodenburg »

Dan: every time you post pictures of your collection I'm stunned. Nice story by the way!
you could say you pretty much have half of my childhood on display.... :shock:

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

:shock: I sometimes wish I lived closer to New York, USA, so that I may witness your collection and hear more stories, Dan. I've been trying so hard to pick up where I left off with RC in the early 90s, and there is just so much that I missed out on! That is probably what I miss the most about RC. I miss the period of time that I missed!
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

broodenburg
Approved Member

Post by broodenburg »

ha ha You live the dream Dan, you live the dream.

I quit the hobby at the end op the 80' and went to study. I picked it up a few years ago. I still have my old Big Wig but sold my fox and rough rider :cry:

Back in the day there were these Tamiya catalogues. I remember me staring for hours at the Sandscorcher/Rough Rider/Hornet/Frog/959 etc. Do these catalogues still exist? Probably not ...

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

I miss the days where you could buy a transmitter from one manufacturer and a receiver from another, and they'd work together with as little as a crystal swap. :cry:
Instead of the current nonsense with all manufacturers having their own specific 2.4GHz specification, that doesn't play nice with receivers from other manufacturers and where the average receiver is freaking expensive. :evil:

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

hibernaculum
Approved Member

Post by hibernaculum »

tamiyadan wrote:it came down to the new stuff not having an interest i no longer connected to it, and i don't connect to the re-release stuff either. if i'm going to honor a car it might as well be the original and not a re-release.
Thanks for sharing all those photos Dan, it was great seeing those cabinets. I think we have a lot in common in terms of what we collect too. I'm not interested in (almost) a single R/C item or car released post-1995. No interest in reissues either (did have a few at first, but offloaded them long ago when I realized they did nothing for me)
kaiser wrote:i was out of rc for 17 years, i was pleasently suprised when i returned:
no more nicads (i completley missed the nmih era), no more brushes, no more xtals...
Clearly in a minority here, but... every single car I own is vintage, and if I run anything I run with NiCd batts (I have plenty of NIB Tamiya 7.2 batteries from pre-1995), original motors, MSCs, AM radios with crystals, on-board 4xAA cells (if that was standard in the original) and even plastic bearings.
EvolutionRevolution wrote:I miss the days where you could buy a transmitter from one manufacturer and a receiver from another, and they'd work together with as little as a crystal swap. :cry:
Instead of the current nonsense with all manufacturers having their own specific 2.4GHz specification, that doesn't play nice with receivers from other manufacturers and where the average receiver is freaking expensive. :evil:
Those days still exist. AM radios can still be bought. Just need to live in the past like some do I guess :wink:

H.

dsmith
Approved Member

Post by dsmith »

most of us on here went thru a great time period...heres an example: i was racing a sand scorcher...then word of a rc10...the difference in the transition in racing those two were a very drastic difference....

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »