3mm ready rod?

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

orangemazda
Approved Member

3mm ready rod?

Post by orangemazda »

Does anyone know where to find some 3mm ready rod to make some custom length turnbuckles for a Tamiya project I'm working on?

I've got some 4-40 ready rod, but the ball joints and ends in the kit accept 3mm turnbuckles.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: 3mm ready rod?

Post by Coelacanth »

I did the same thing you're planning to do to beef up the steering linkage on the Marui Galaxy I restored for my brother. It was definitely a step up from the dinky little 1.5mm rods that come in the kit, which bent very easily. However, I would suggest you simply find 3mm-threaded turnbuckles in the length you need because they'll be stronger and you can adjust them without popping off the ball-ends, because each end has opposing threads. Also, turnbuckles will be stronger than 3mm ready rod. You can bend a 3mm ready rod with not much effort.

Almost all my builds are resto-modded and use turnbuckles instead of the original bent wires, for camber links, tie-rods, stabilizer links, you name it.

3mm-threaded turnbuckles are all over eBay; colored aluminum, steel, titanium...what length are you looking for?
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

jwscab

Re: 3mm ready rod?

Post by jwscab »

should be able to find 3mm threaded rod at mcmaster-carr or other industrial type places.