Monster Beetle

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Monster Beetle

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I was very pleasantly surprised to hear about the MB rerelease. Of all the Tamiya kits (besides a Juggernaut) this was the one I was hoping would get remade. I preordered one from Tower and it arrived today. Probably going to build it box art. I started tonight, it's a fun kit. My only complaint is that the body has all the holes for the Sand Scorcher and the Monster Beetle. I'm filling the roof and extra hood holes in.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

fakiee
Approved Member

Re: Monster Beetle

Post by fakiee »

Good to see you around again :)

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Thanks Fakiee! I've been busy being a dad and all that for a while. I just started messing with the r/c cars again in the past couple weeks.

Dan, yeah it kind of sucks. Also, it seems like the body has more flash than normal for a Tamiya. It definitely needs more attention than any other hard body I've had. Not sure why they left the SS holes there. I wonder if SS kits made from now on will also have the MB holes too?

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Cool, looking forward to watching the build. I don't think I ever had a Monster Beetle, but I did have a Frog. Same basic chassis, right?

I might have top pick one of these up in a couple years when my son's a little older, would be fun to build with him.

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

Nice! Please show us some build pictures along the way. :wink:
Jeff

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Dang Dan, way to get all Debbie Downer on my post. I'm very happy with this kit overall. I mean, for way under $200, I'm an 11 year old again. In my opinion, for the fun I'm getting out of this pile of plastic and metal, this is cheap entertainment. I gotta tell you, when I started cutting out the decals and putting them on the body, it was the most fun I've had with r/c in years. Yeah, just decals (and not even 100% old school correct) but those colors over that shell, it may sound silly, but it was just a wonderful feeling. I'm not building a historically accurate Tamiya shrine or museum. I bought the kit because I always wanted one as a kid. I plan to give this one a good thrashing in the backyard when it's ready, with no worries about breaking brittle old Tamiya plastic. A little work to fill in the extra holes in the body and if I cared, a sheet of lexan over the back window. But, I don't care about that. 8)

Anyway, sorry I didn't take any build pics guys. I got it about 90% done before I saw that request. I've got a few details to finish on the body, then I'll get some completed shots up. No regrets here, this kit is definitely worth the money, the lhs is selling them now for $160! Seriously, that seems like a bargain to me. It's 98% the MB of 20 years ago, there is nothing to be less than thrilled about.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Very cool, that's the best feeling ever.... To relive the childhood. Glad your having fun with it.

I assume it has the upgraded dogbones like the frog did, are you seeing much else changed?
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

MelvinsArmy wrote:Dang Dan, way to get all Debbie Downer on my post. I'm very happy with this kit overall. I mean, for way under $200, I'm an 11 year old again. In my opinion, for the fun I'm getting out of this pile of plastic and metal, this is cheap entertainment. I gotta tell you, when I started cutting out the decals and putting them on the body, it was the most fun I've had with r/c in years. Yeah, just decals (and not even 100% old school correct) but those colors over that shell, it may sound silly, but it was just a wonderful feeling. I'm not building a historically accurate Tamiya shrine or museum. I bought the kit because I always wanted one as a kid. I plan to give this one a good thrashing in the backyard when it's ready, with no worries about breaking brittle old Tamiya plastic. A little work to fill in the extra holes in the body and if I cared, a sheet of lexan over the back window. But, I don't care about that. 8)

Anyway, sorry I didn't take any build pics guys. I got it about 90% done before I saw that request. I've got a few details to finish on the body, then I'll get some completed shots up. No regrets here, this kit is definitely worth the money, the lhs is selling them now for $160! Seriously, that seems like a bargain to me. It's 98% the MB of 20 years ago, there is nothing to be less than thrilled about.
Loving this thinking......

:D

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

GoMachV wrote:Very cool, that's the best feeling ever.... To relive the childhood. Glad your having fun with it.

I assume it has the upgraded dogbones like the frog did, are you seeing much else changed?
I never built one back in the day, so I can't say for sure. As far as I know, it's got the upgraded dog bones, the decals obviously don't have the real sponsors any more, there are extra holes in the body and no rear window, and it comes with an ESC now. The ESC is brushless ready too, which is kind of nice. It comes setup for brushed though, the kit comes with a silver can 540.

The only modifications that I've made are to add full ball bearings and I put a vintage Parma heat sink that I got from scr8p on the motor. Oh, and I didn't finish the driver figure, instead I installed Bart Simpson at the controls. I've had him floating around for years, I think I've finally found a permanent ride for him.

This thing just makes me smile.
Attachments
-4.jpg
-3.jpg
-2.jpg
-1.jpg

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

Looks awesome!

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

That looks spectacular and love the look of Bart behind the wheel! 8)
Jeff

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

tamiyadan wrote:Besides the incorrect holes in the body tamiya also screwed up the glass for the body.
The original MB the glass wrapped around and covered the rear window,
on the Re-re they used the re-re sand scorcher glass which stops before the rear window.

every time tamiya re-releases something they make it worse then original, At least its saving my wallet.
How has Tamiya "screwed up"?

They have brought out a new Monster Beetle. So there are differences between the original and new versions, it means you can actually tell easily that an original is an original, and the re-release will have the faults corrected. It means those who aren't bothered about having a perfect original can get a re-release and have fun, while the correct bodies and parts are still worth chasing if you are restoring an original.

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

I think it looks great! Question - did you use a brush to paint around the windows? I found my hand just isn't steady enough to do it by hand - is there a trick to getting it done neatly?
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars