Hi Cap shock prices

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JamieB
Approved Member

Hi Cap shock prices

Post by JamieB »

Hi Guys,

I need some advice/thoughts. I need to get a set of Tamiya Hi Cap shocks. I really don’t have any spare funds at the moment but have started to look around at the prices these go for. The ones I want are currently on ebay for over $275 plus $35 postage. I’m intending to run the car so the dampers I eventually buy don’t have to be perfect but don’t want them bashed up wrecked before I start.

Is this price the average these things go for? A set or really good Kyosho Gold shocks just sold for £51 plus postage. Condition wise these were slightly worse condition, OK maybe a fair bit worse than perfect but were very very good in my view.

Is Tamiya stuff generally a lot more money? Would I be better off waiting until a complete car comes up for sale with the relevant dampers and buying the whole thing? I could probably then sell of other parts. Problem is I don’t want to end up buying another car and falling in love with it and keeping it.

The car in question is a Tamiya Astute, seems most of the modified/mod builds are using Hi Cap dampers.

Before I get flamed, I appreciate things cost what someone is willing to pay. Trust me I have just spent a small fortune on a couple of cars myself which will never realize the same value even if I sold them in 20 years time. I am prepared to pay top £$£$ for something if needs be. Just trying to find out if Tamiya shocks of this type are really this costly?

I will try and get some pics of the Astute up at the weekend when the other half is not looking..

jwscab

Re: Hi Cap shock prices

Post by jwscab »

honestly, they are scale rc models, so if you are a super collector and need the nth detail to be perfect, you would go out and spend that money on the rare parts, and polish and dust them and store in a case.

if you are interested in running the car and have no personal attachment as a collector, use something that cost less that will hurt less if they get damaged or worn. golds I think are a good choice, but need to do the homework to figure out what sizes you need.

BTW, yes, Tamiya stuff is generally collectable, and parts are scarce. So the asking price will always be high with these types of cars. The lower models tend to be cheaper/easier to find because many more were/are sold.

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

Problem is I always want the expensive stuff. No matter what I like I always like the expensive option. I think in the long run I will end up getting a set of these but wait for a cheaper used set to appear. I do also need a set of golds for another build. I have a set on an old Lazer so can test them out for size.

snowfox
Approved Member

Post by snowfox »

I thought Hi-Caps were super rare at first, I set my sights on them for a while and managed to pick up lots of sets (4) for around £30-£40, they are out there. I would pay £50 for mint set IF I really needed them.
Give it Gas!

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

Certainly not going to pay over the odds for premium quality. I will wait around for the right priced option to come along certainly not in a rush to build this one.

I'm not a purist as such, I'm happy to stick some re re shocks on but they have to be Tamiya, I cant stick Kyosho shocks on this one as that wouldn't feel right for the build I have in mind. However will be sticking gold's on another in progress build..

I don't suppose any one knows if these would fit an Astute? :oops: Cant get link function to work sorry..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252317661395?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

crusaderlyf
Approved Member

Post by crusaderlyf »

Oh, that price crazy. if you want to get one set in nice condition, will half price than the original nib set

snowfox
Approved Member

Post by snowfox »

JamieB wrote:Certainly not going to pay over the odds for premium quality. I will wait around for the right priced option to come along certainly not in a rush to build this one.

I'm not a purist as such, I'm happy to stick some re re shocks on but they have to be Tamiya, I cant stick Kyosho shocks on this one as that wouldn't feel right for the build I have in mind. However will be sticking gold's on another in progress build..

I don't suppose any one knows if these would fit an Astute? :oops: Cant get link function to work sorry..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252317661395?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Yes they will, these should be a direct fit. When these came out they were a limited part number and they are hard to find now. I bought them when they were first released, think I paid around £40 for the set shipped.

£65 is expensive but I havnt seen them cheaper for a while - -let me know if you can get them cheaper crusaderlyf?
Give it Gas!

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

Thanks guys for the tips and confirmation. Here is a pic or two.

Both sides broken like this

bit of an interesting mod here. Original tower does not appear to be broken.

both rear wheels are very lose, almost like the car has four wheel steering.

crusaderlyf
Approved Member

Post by crusaderlyf »

tamiya using mini at front & short at rear for 2wd like astute. using both short at 4wd like top force.
shocks.JPG
I have the 2wd can fit on astute. with hardware set and option square sping set. in very nice condition
tamiya hi-cap shock set hup-up springs nice condition #4 01.JPG
tamiya hi-cap shock set hup-up springs nice condition #4 02.JPG

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

Thanks Dan. Yes first thing I noticed when I opened the box was how heavy the car is. I thought the guy I bought it from had sent me a few bricks!

I wouldn't mind building a lose Jamie Booth Works replica so the Madcap parts are on my list of bits to look out for. I'm not really into building replicas, however the Madcap was my first RC car. I went down the Cougar route but did purchase an Astute Chassis back in the day with the intention of building one. That's my excuse for going this route on this occasion.

As you have mentioned in a previous post on this site in those days there was no internet so instead of spending a lot of time trial fitting parts etc I just stuck with the Cougar, eventually Cougar 2 Works until I gave the whole lot up and either sold bits or just left them in a garage when I moved.

I like the look of the Jamie Booth Works car, big white wheels at the front with the black ones at the back. I have checked the Madcap availability and spares options and should be able to pick bits and pieces up every now and then as funds allow. When I start the build I will set up another thread.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

JamieB wrote:both rear wheels are very lose, almost like the car has four wheel steering.
That will be because it does. The rear toe links are designed to allow the rear wheels to steer as the suspension extends and compresses. It also means there are lots of extra moving parts which all add up to extra play, and why the team drivers switched to madcap parts. http://www.tamiyaclub.com/article.asp?id=94

If you want Hi-caps, and new ones in particular, they aren't cheap. The going rate is around £50 a pair for new ones, and unless Tamiya do another limited production run like they did as option parts for the Avante in 2011 then they aren't going to get cheaper.

For the rear uprights, the readily available Blitzer Beetle C parts do the job fine. Part number is 0005431 for the standard parts (you need two sets), or part number 0004067 for the fibre reinforced ones from the Tr15T.