Avante 2011 setup

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

snowfox
Approved Member

Avante 2011 setup

Post by snowfox »

Hi, im setting up an Avante 2011 for the local track. Its an astro turf / concrete mix.

I have installed the egress re-release ball diffs and centre torque splitter with one way. Im currently working on instaling egress style front and rear arm set up.

Does anyone have a bit of basic setup advice for the Avante? Ive read on a few threads that the diff, splitter and one way makes a lot of difference to the cars handling and certain combos are not advised - if there is a good base setup id be really happy to hear it.

thanks for your help
fullsizeoutput_89e copy.jpg
Give it Gas!

stickboy007
Approved Member

Re: Avante 2011 setup

Post by stickboy007 »

I had an Avante 2011 runner a few years ago and tried to find a good setup for it, before I knew what I was doing. I've since sold it, though :(

If you're running on astro/concrete mix, then you're looking at a high grip surface. On 2.2" rims, the Avante will have too tall a ride height for that surface, since the car in its original form had smaller rims. Since the Avante does not have much or anything in the way of adjustable shock towers, the only way for you to really drop the ride height would be to put downtravel limiters in the shocks. Or, you can go back to the stock wheel size (Hotshot wheels and tires may suffice here, if you add foam inserts), or both. A typical ride height for a turf car is in the 16mm range for a 4wd buggy. If you find that you have to add so many downtravel limiters to the shocks to achieve that (with 2.2" rims), that you end up with little to no suspension travel, then you should either use the smaller rims or adjust your driving to be smoother so that the car doesn't roll as much.

On the outer front caster block, move the camber link from the lower hole to the upper hole. This will increase the front roll center and help to reduce chassis roll at the front. You may also want to remove that front tower and mount the front shocks directly on the gearbox, as it was done in the original Avante. This will make the shocks lay down more, which has three effects: 1.) reduced CG; 2.) a little bit of push on corner entry (less tendency to roll over on corner entry); 3.) more mid-corner steering (more chassis roll mid-corner).

At the rear, there's not a whole lot you can do, other than to mount the shocks on the inner hole on the tower. This will numb the rear a little bit during cornering, making it less twitchy and therefore less likely to flip over. There are games you can play with the rear arms, which allow you to adjust both the wheelbase and toe-in via the tie rods at the front and rear of the arm (the front arms also allow this). However, I would urge caution here. There's not as much adjustability as it looks like, without making the dogbones pop out, so I'd recommend not adjusting the arms.

I see that you have the Hi-Cap dampers. The suspension geometry on the Avante is a little weird, so I don't have a good suggestion for oil and pistons. You could start with 40wt front/rear oil and 2 hole front/rear pistons, and then take it from there. Chances are, the oil and piston adjustments on this car is where you'll spend most of your time, since the rest of the car doesn't offer much in the way of geometry adjustments.

snowfox
Approved Member

Post by snowfox »

Thanks for the info dude,

Would never have know about wheel sizes and ride heights. I will make the adjustments you suggested at the front. I'm not sure what to do about shocks, I may try and find some others.
Give it Gas!

snowfox
Approved Member

Post by snowfox »

I CVAd the Chassis edges as per manual, probably a tad heavy handed as the CVA clouded up loads overnight making the chassis look awful the next day. Hard to show in the pictures.

I cleaned them up with wet and dry. The end result is a very smooth sealed edge and a more matte finish:

I've managed to get the diff rebuilt and the front and rear gearboxes finished and bolted onto the lower deck

Give it Gas!

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

The CA vapor results in some residue on the carbon fiber parts. I've had that happen many times.

I'd recommend that you do yourself a favor and ditch that sensorless motor. Get a proper sensored motor for this car. Turnigy makes some great motors and speed controls that are very affordable. If you're running the center ball diff, I wouldn't run anything more powerful than a 13.5 or 10.5 motor in this. Otherwise, that center diff will slip too much, even if you set it tight.

snowfox
Approved Member

Post by snowfox »

stickboy007 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:45 am The CA vapor results in some residue on the carbon fiber parts. I've had that happen many times.

I'd recommend that you do yourself a favor and ditch that sensorless motor. Get a proper sensored motor for this car. Turnigy makes some great motors and speed controls that are very affordable. If you're running the center ball diff, I wouldn't run anything more powerful than a 13.5 or 10.5 motor in this. Otherwise, that center diff will slip too much, even if you set it tight.
Just purchased a Turnigy 17.5T sensored Brushless combo from ebay at a good price. Im not running a centre diff. I purchased the Avante 2011 torque splitter set, so im running the modern diffs and a standard centre gear without the one-way.

I also realised with the Egress rear arms will need the Egress rear hub carriers, so ordered the Yeah Racing alloy ones, along with new rear arms and a front gearbox. The front gearbox will hopefully sort out a gear binding issue - very hard to get a smooth drive train with this car!! I'm also using an egress rear shock tower and mount so I will need to experiment with the rear turnbuckles and mounting on the top deck.

Will wait for the parts to turn up before cary on with this build, will be at least 7 days as the are from HK. With the new parts I'm back to square one and will have to pretty much rebuild it!!

Not sure what to work on in the meantime, perhaps a Losi XX or XXT runner....mmmmmmmm
Give it Gas!