Cantilever shock geometry on my Superchamp SRB mod

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

toybaron
Approved Member

Cantilever shock geometry on my Superchamp SRB mod

Post by toybaron »

Hi ...I'm seeking some help on the geometry of this shock set up. Doing a test fit, I have nice spring and compression in the shock itself, but the way I have it, the set up basically pivots left side to right side, that is, it doesnt lift the chassis to provide suspension.

I dont have the instructions for this set up, so I dont know if I have it installed correctly, or which points on the brackets that connect to the rear arms are meant to rotate freely and which if any are meant to be fixed.

Also, any vintage shock recco's for what I could replace the superchamp shock with? The SC shock is nice and interesting with the reservoir bottle and all, though I wanted to add something more unique yet period correct.
IMG_1678.JPG
IMG_1679.JPG
IMG_1680.JPG

jwscab

Re: Cantilever shock geometry on my Superchamp SRB mod

Post by jwscab »

yeah, i'm pretty sure that is how they work. You need another spring/stabilizer type sway bar to reduce the roll.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

when you press the chassis down does the shock compress ? if not then its possible that the piston shaft is binding , i had this happen on an old vintage yokomo dogfighter with cantilever rear mono shock system , you would need a new shock to cure it or new O ring seals maybe . Its a kind of odd geometry and any wear in the shock can cause binding but would still allow the see-saw action to happen.Looking at the picture the shaft does seem to go into the shock on an angle rather than straight in .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

you most definitely need to run a sway bar set up when using this rear suspension.

toybaron
Approved Member

Post by toybaron »

Thank you for the comments and direction. The shapeways build definitely provided inspiration. The shock itself as mounted is working fine.

I'll incorporate a sway bar and report back.

I appreciate this community.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

toybaron
Approved Member

Post by toybaron »

Thank You! I appreciate the pics and your time. Honestly this is really just a "cool parts" shelf build, but for runners I do agree to build to win...or at least for function.

I have a couple roll bar ideas, I am going start w/a test fit of an RC10 parma version, then back track into something more period correct whenever it appears on ebay etc

this set up seems to have has alot of flexibility in height adjustment and position. The issue for the moment is how to secure the bar onto the roll cage without causing irreversible damage. The sway set up itself is very flexible and I can attach at the rear arm mount points quite easily...

I also have the rc channel set up, nice kit for sure, I suppose I'll get to that next year at my rate anyway

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

TheSpeedway
Approved Member

Post by TheSpeedway »

We ran this back in the day. RCH nylon arms, Kyosho Shock with RCH coil kit, RCH swaybar, steel Tamiya u-joints. Raced on carpet and dirt. When I bought my MIP rear end and ARS cage this all became obsolete. I wish I still had all of those old parts. Try to explain to someone wanting to purchase a new Rough Rider that you were going to discard most of the car to go racing and purchase or make the remainder... tough sell.

Mark

toybaron
Approved Member

Post by toybaron »

adding those parts to my "look out for these parts" list!

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

toybaron
Approved Member

Post by toybaron »

great post

RCHJR

Post by RCHJR »

toybaron wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:20 am Hi ...I'm seeking some help on the geometry of this shock set up. Doing a test fit, I have nice spring and compression in the shock itself, but the way I have it, the set up basically pivots left side to right side, that is, it doesnt lift the chassis to provide suspension.

I dont have the instructions for this set up, so I dont know if I have it installed correctly, or which points on the brackets that connect to the rear arms are meant to rotate freely and which if any are meant to be fixed.

Also, any vintage shock recco's for what I could replace the superchamp shock with? The SC shock is nice and interesting with the reservoir bottle and all, though I wanted to add something more unique yet period correct.
That is the RCH Mono Shcok system. Was designed originally by team driver Jeff Cruzen and Big Dennis. My dad also made them in nylon in latter years. It was designed for a Kyosho Shock with coil over and a sway bar set up. Typically you would set it up to have a bit of a sag in the rear and adjust from there. We also had the nylon piston kits for the shocks. Hope this helps.
JR Van Osten
RCH