Egress front shock mounting

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Saito
Approved Member

Egress front shock mounting

Post by Saito »

Can anyone explain the impact of the rerelease Egress's lack of the lower BF8/9 lower shock mounts has on the newer version's handling vs the original? It seems to dramatically lower the front of the car as well as set the shock angle more like that if the Vanquish. It also almost allows the chassis to bottom out as opposed to letting the shocks bottom out. Did Tamiya only omit the brackets but keep the tower height the same? Thanks.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Re: Egress front shock mounting

Post by tamiyadan »

Saito
Approved Member

Post by Saito »

Thank you! Awesome reply. This is exactly the kind of info I was after. As far as I know, Tamiya kept the shock tower of the re-release tall, but also wider. Wow, so the ol' Bigwig was better to drive than the Egress? I could see it. Those first gen Tamiya 4WDs were plastic fantastic but pretty tough overall. Thanks again.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Saito
Approved Member

Post by Saito »

Great info. I always found my Super Shot to be pretty rugged but never got quite the same feel from my Vanquish back in the day. Out of curiousity, did the Thundershot series ever see track duty? They seem like a slightly more modern/streamlined version of the Hot Shot design but nobody ever speaks of them. My guess was that the Thundershot came out just before the Avante which then stole the spotlight. I do remember old MRC/Tamiya ads touting the Thundershot as capable against Optimas and Radiants.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Saito
Approved Member

Post by Saito »

So back in the mid 80's, were there Hot Shot series cars running around stock/ super stock classes? The magazines from that era (mostly RCCA) acted like is was all the Yokomo Dogfighter until the Optima showed up and revolutionized 4wd (and then the CAT and so on). Those early Yokes looked super crude to me compared to a Hot Shot-type car.

A TOMY intruder? Wow that was a rare bird. Sounds like that didn't go well. You raced some interesting hardware. I give you a lot of credit for not just driving an RC10 and Optima like everybody else seemed to. BTW, I totally agree, stadium trucks kinda lost their allure when they became over grown buggies. The King Cab was exciting to me, but the RC10T (although a great performer) just started veering too far away from what little realism was left at that point.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Saito
Approved Member

Post by Saito »

You're completely right. Being a mechanic and fascinated with design and function means I all to often overlook the human element. Practice makes perfect. A good driver can make a mediocre car seem great but a mediocre driver does not become a great driver simply behind the stick of a great car.

"15 trucks in a battle royal parts and debris flying, turn marshals jumping for cover as 80,000 rpm Screaming Astroflight motors pounded through turbo zeta speed controllers with 10 cells of juice for 4 minutes of pure insanity. the twisted carnage of Clodzillas and sassy chassis littering the battlefield when it was over."
That statement is pure poetry. I love it. Oh, how I wished I could have witnessed the mayhem! I never got to see something so cool. Someday I hope you write a memoir. Your first-hand, on the ground knowledge is gold compared to the glossed over slanted stuff I read in RCCA back then.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Saito
Approved Member

Post by Saito »

Lobos and nikko turbo panther nikko black fox, dictators, night stalkers...I remember seeing all those at Kay Bee toys back in the day. My first off roader was a Nikko Mosquito, precursor to the Lobo2. That's awesome that some of those toy grade cars saw track time. Beautiful Intruder and Brat BTW. I was quite the Nikko fanboy before my Tamiya obsession started.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

The Dictator was always a car that intrigued me as a kid, they were close to hobby grade but not quite there.

So here's mine :mrgreen:
Attachments
IMG_6039.JPG
IMG_6038.JPG
IMG_6037.JPG
IMG_6036.JPG
IMG_6035.JPG
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Saito
Approved Member

Post by Saito »

Holy mud! That was a Dictator at one time? :D

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Saito
Approved Member

Post by Saito »

I remember that short Hi Cap tower. I think it was for adapting Hi Caps to the Avante and Vanquish. Basically, I think I'm retracing your footsteps Dan. I'm trying to get the front end to bottom out before the shocks run out of travel to save the control arm mounts molded into the front gearboxes. I hate that design aspect and want to preserve those gearbox casings.

Parts support is something I'm curious about. Back in the 80's, it seemed like every hobby shop had at least 5-8 Tamiyas on the shelf and one RC10. Maybe a Kyosho or two if the place was RC friendly. I remember there was always spinner racks filled with those yellow and red MRC/Tamiya spare parts. I never had a problem with Tamiya spares however all my early stuff was high volume mainstream Tamiya. I imagine if I needed a part for my Vanquish, it would have been a different story. On the other hand, if you had a Royal, Nichimo, Mugen, Aristocraft, etc, good luck getting parts. Today finding Tamiya spares is like trying to fly without wings. Hobby shops only speak Traxxas. Tower and Tamiya USA is hit or miss (all too often, out of stock). Maybe I'm looking through rose colored glasses at the past though.

That 3-D printed stuff is so wild. Almost unbelievable but the future is here. I wish I had the time and inclination to learn it but I'm not the best with computers.