Bolink Invader Oval

The place for all things BoLink.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GoMachV
Approved Member

Re: Bolink Invader "off road" Dirt Tracker II chassis

Post by GoMachV »

There is no doubt this design was not state of the art or hi tech, but it's a simple pan car style axle comparing to a custom works car is difficult. While there are direct drive cw cars, this thing is super light and super simple, yet the handling of a cw car would be better as well. I guess what I'm saying is- it should have some benefits (oh, and price too!) but it wouldn't be a car id put against a cw of the same era (first gen)

Lone star, if you are familiar with the simple pan car axle, all they have done is cut it in half so it pivots. The spring was the early coupler, later going to a dogbone. I can hold the spur and wheel in one hand, and clock the left wheel a half turn, release, and watch it bounce back and forth on that spring :roll: it's a ridiculous setup but makes it interesting!
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Hey, at least they put a bit of spring in its step :lol:

Wonder if it would wind up and sling shot you down the straight, good marketing ploy untill you found out it probably didn't work.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

My biggest peeve with the design is that the motor plate is attached to the a-arm and it adds a lot of unsprung weight to only that one wheel. That can't be good for handling. :?

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

But it is the wheel that's "diggin" hahaha

I agree tho
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

I like your earlier system better myself. Just wish we knew what shocks it was set up for
Factory Works website

xanadu
Approved Member

Post by xanadu »

You cant really compare these to the Custom Works cars. They came out years before them and when I bought one from Tower Hobbies, It was just over $100. Compared to the C.W. cars selling at that time for over $400 for 2wd. (to a 15 year old kid that mowed 2 lawns a week for $15, that was a bunch)
They ran very well on smooth ovals and the C.W. cars were not any faster. The only problems that I ever had with the Bolinks were that they were really fragile when raced against heavier cars like rc10's. The weakest point was the front kingpin. I broke several. Basically on a smooth dirt oval you could run an cheap on-road car and win.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I finally got the correct body to replace the Andys Corvette body, the original is still uncut in the box. Comparing the new body to the original one you couldn't tell a difference. This car could use new hardware and a light polish, not sure yet if I should or not. The car is in original un-run condition but is slightly tarnished due to age, I have the box with all paperwork and even the empty bags from the kit.
Attachments
2014-05-29 11.27.10-1.jpg
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

xanadu
Approved Member

Post by xanadu »

Is the box the one with this car on it? I used to have the box and stared at this car forever. I never thought I would own the car in the picture. Funny.
Attachments
KGrHqJHJCE9SlMoRBPQVWw3g60_12.JPG
KGrHqJHJCE9SlMoRBPQVWw3g60_12.JPG (32.85 KiB) Viewed 2637 times
KGrHqJHJCE9SlMoRBPQVWw3g60_12.JPG
KGrHqJHJCE9SlMoRBPQVWw3g60_12.JPG (32.85 KiB) Viewed 2637 times
DSCF0057 - Copy 5.jpg

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Wow! Very nice!
Factory Works website

hugger19
Approved Member

Post by hugger19 »

so thats the same car thats on the box??? or is it made to look that way?

hugger19
Approved Member

Post by hugger19 »

here is mine. i used the rc10 reissue rear tires on the orginal rims. i have a body for it but waiting on frt wheels/tires and body mounts.
DSCN4325.jpg
DSCN4326.jpg
DSCN4327.jpg
DSCN4328.jpg
DSCN4329.jpg

xanadu
Approved Member

Post by xanadu »

so thats the same car thats on the box??? or is it made to look that way?
It's the one. I bought from bolink after they went out. They used it at trade shows and stuff. Different driver figure and it sits on a "prototype" nitro powered invader that they built. It is in really good condition for how old it is.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

You can't say "prototype" and "nitro powered invader" without posting pics!
Factory Works website

fredswain
Approved Member

Re: Bolink Invader Oval

Post by fredswain »

I'm bringing this thread back. Thanks for posting these. I've seen the rear end of this car before but I never knew what it was. Barry Raborn had a dirt oval car that he built to skirt the no solid rear axle rule at a Roar nationals event. That had the Custom Works guys completely livid. It was a custom chassis that used saddle packs and an RC10 front end with the 30° nose kick but the rear end was this setup. He said the thing was fast as hell. It did get around the rules but Custom Works cried hard enough to get it banned even though he was the only non Custom Works car running in their heat. It's partially disassembled but still around. I'll try to take some pictures next time I see it.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: Bolink Invader Oval

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

fredswain wrote:I've seen the rear end of this car before
I had the exact same feeling in a dance bar in 1996. I had seen that rear end before, but couldn't quite place my finger in it... I mean on it. Was it The Fugees that were clouding my mind or my pelvis leading me across the dance floor like a divining rod across the desert... I paused for a moment to catch my breath and lost it in the murk of the crowd. Was it a dream or the craptastic chassis of a Bolink?? The faint memory and wonder of the moment will haunt my psyche for as long as I walk this earth.

I actually really dig these cars and in this particular instance use the term "craptastic" as my highest 80's R/C compliment. 8)
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken