Tenth Technology and Team Xtreme

The place to go when it doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

LurkingCAT
Approved Member

Tenth Technology and Team Xtreme

Post by LurkingCAT »

This spring/summer (2013) has been dedicated to my X11! Until this year my runners have all been vintage (well at some stage, over twenty years ago now, I actually drove modern cars). Although I have driven a few of the later rides I never had one myself. The change came this year getting a Predator X11 to use as my "modern" runner in 4 wd despite the B44.2, K1 and XB4 +++...

You may very well think the X11 is outdated. The car is very similar to the original Tenth Technology Predator and I have the feeling the Predator X11 already is history and the last version of this platform. One could say this is more of a what-is-new-is-actually-very-old kind of car. So far it’s still available at £430 :shock: I'm an idiot? Maybe, but despite the price, weaknesses, expensive parts etc, I just love this uk jewel. The basic platform has been around since -93, so going for a "new" X11 I'm sort of having my feet both in the modern and vintage world. The first versions had hand made carbon fibre tubs, with unique serial numbers! Today it's a molded graphite tub. The Predator has been made and sold by Tenth Technology, the later X11 by Team Xtreme – now famous for the Vega kits.

And yes I’m satisfied with the performance – if the jumps are not too high that is… I suppose this is not the place for a detailed set up, so along some course lines it goes like this:

Electrics:
TX: Spektrum DX3R, RX: Spektrum SR3100, Servo: Savox SC-1257TG, ESC: HW V3.1, Motor: Novak 8.5 or Vampire 6.5.

Chassis:
X-5 wing (X Factory)
Optional one way prop shaft.
Custom steering layout.

I have both the saddle pack chassis and the lipo. Currently the saddle pack chassis with LiPo stick pack. The car has a custom carbon strap with the logo engraved, for holding the battery in place. The install of the electrics was is a bit tight and the preference for the HW V3.1 is actually due to space and wire configurations. Next season I’m aiming for a shorty along with the esc on the same side.
Attachments
X11 Out 1.JPG
X11 Out 2.JPG
X11 Out 3.JPG
X11 front.jpg
X11 top less.jpg
X11 on grand piano, electrics.jpg
X11 Two bodies.JPG

Lonestar
Approved Member

Re: Team Xtreme Predator X11

Post by Lonestar »

The Pred is the coolest looking 4WD ever... proof that you could have something thought completely out of the box and working on the track...

.... kind of....

.... and after ca. 20 yrs of development....

:mrgreen:

But frankly, rarely has an RC car gotten so much cult following. And a deserved one, that is :)

Nice X11!

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Groomi
Approved Member

Post by Groomi »

I stopped racing BITD shortly after the TT predator was launched. It was out of this world at the time - and still is really... :)
Using my son as an excuse to relieve my youth. :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/MuzzoomModels

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

I've never seen body off pics. :shock: :shock: it looks incredible. Even if it doesn't drive well at least it's unique and looks extremely cool.

hawgfanman
Approved Member

Post by hawgfanman »

I've never even heard of those before. It looks awesome! Very cool ride! 8)

LurkingCAT
Approved Member

Post by LurkingCAT »

Nice to get comments from you people knowing about this car - and not! It's really been a joyful ride this summer and interesting to test some different configurations, electrics, fiddling with wheel geometry, shock and spring set up and so on. I will use this thread to provide some more general info and chime in on some updates. If I manage to find the time I maybe also post my 1. gen Tenth Technology Predator for comparisons. Thanks!

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

Please pot pics of the gen 1 predator. The one you posted is really cool. I'd love too see where it started.

LurkingCAT
Approved Member

Post by LurkingCAT »

It's getting to be old News but I have to say the closing up of Team Xtreme is very sad. There is no longer a possibility of ordering from Team Xtreme - their paypal being closed. As mentioned earlier in this thread it was expected, but now I'm really fed up not stocking up more spares :cry: Have a few spares but now in desperate need of drive shafts... Wish Team Xtreme could sell out what ever spares they've got but, of course it's a matter of cost of running the shop. All my condolences to the guys running the amazing Vegas and to the now sad owners of the mighty Predator... I've seen a very Limited amount of spares in a couple of European hobby shops, and thats it. Any hints of alternative paths to get spares would be 8)

EDIT: Now it seems like the Team Xtreme website is gone as well, and with the site loads of info and pictures. So as a contribution to some reference material on these cars I thought it's time to work a bit more on this thread.

LurkingCAT
Approved Member

Tenth Technology Predator

Post by LurkingCAT »

For first gen pred

LurkingCAT
Approved Member

Team Xtreme Predator

Post by LurkingCAT »

Team Xtreme Predator X11 - reference pics
Attachments
x11 spec.jpg
gallery_x11_frontquarter.jpg
gallery_x11_08_steering.jpg
gallery_x11_susmount.jpg
gallery_x11_08_rearshocks.jpg
gallery_x11_underside.jpg
gallery_x11_08_angle1.jpg
gallery_x11_08_angle2.jpg
gallery_x11_08_noshell1.jpg

LurkingCAT
Approved Member

Team Xtreme X11

Post by LurkingCAT »

For Predator

LurkingCAT
Approved Member

Team Xtreme Vega Elite

Post by LurkingCAT »

Team Xtremes “Vega Elite” 2WD race conversions were made for several of the top-end race buggies (AE B4.1, Kyosho RB5/6, Tamiya TRF201, TLR 22). Featuring a CNC machined 7075 alloy tub chassis & gearbox, motor plate heat sink, rear shock tower, bodyshell and more. Team Xtreme claimed better cornering, increased in-air control, more level jumping, quicker landings and “a new more positive feel to the car, allowing for a more aggressive driving style”.

GEN 1, introduced Jan/Feb 2011, standard wheelbase. (RB5, B4.1, TRF201)

GEN 1 Body
GEN 1 Bodyshell.jpg
GEN 1 AE B4.1
VegaEliteB4.1_GEN1-1.jpg
GEN 1 Kit (This one for the RB5)
VegaElite GEN1-3-400x296.jpg
VegaElite GEN1-3-400x296.jpg (23.15 KiB) Viewed 4804 times
VegaElite GEN1-3-400x296.jpg
VegaElite GEN1-3-400x296.jpg (23.15 KiB) Viewed 4804 times
GEN 2, introduced August 2012, got a longer wheelbase, raised gearbox (2mm) and multi cell layout. (RB5, B4.1, TRF201)

GEN 2 Body
GEN 2 Bodyshell.jpg
GEN 2 AE B4.1
Vega b4.1 GEN 2.jpg
ExtremeVegaB4-1Gen2-1.jpg
GEN 3, introduced June 2013, gear diff compatible gear box, side flex tub with weight slots for the optional brass weight kit (RB6, B4.1, TRF201, DEX210, TLR22)

GEN 3 Body
GEN 3 Bodyshell.jpg
GEN 3 Optional weight kit (This one for the TRF201)
TRF 201 Weight kit.jpg
For more details on the GEN 3 see next post on my conversion for the TLR 22.

LurkingCAT
Approved Member

Team Xtreme

Post by LurkingCAT »

My Vega Elite GEN 3 for TLR 22.

Initially I started out using this as my modern 2WD runner. As things are with Team Xtreme nowadays (no parts available) I've rebuilt it to freeze it as a document of this platform.
I really love this car, the finish and design of these parts are very good! Everything bolts in perfectly - if you've tried out a Vega Elite kit you'll know what I mean.

The start - Vega GEN 3 chassis
Vega_Chassis.jpg
Chassis with optional weight kit. This I think is a piece of art :-)
Vega weight kit.jpg
Hot Racing alu servo Mounts
HR servo mounts.jpg
Team Losi Racing 25° front brass pivot (50g)
Brass pivot.jpg
Exotek steering VER.2
Exotek steering .jpg
Rear end. For this mid motor conversion you need to use the plastic insert from the rear motor layout to bolt the front hanger and anti squat shim to the chassis, as the block is not sandwiched between the gearbox and chassis plate as usual on the standard mid motor 22
Rear end.jpg

When driving this car I used gear diffs, both AE and the losi one, not being happy with any of them. For the shelf now rebuilt with ball diff - at least I know it's in there...;-). Gear box built to standard specs with HDS slipper clutch and grooved slipper plates
Rebuliding gear box.jpg
Vega Elite machined gear box. As you can see the motor to axle position is tighter than standard so that the diff sits far back in the wishbone.
Vega Elite machined gear box.jpg
To get the motor back and maintain a sensible amount of driveshaft sweep the rear wishbones need to be flipped (left to right/right to left) to make room for the motor further back. Both the washers/spacers are put at the front of the wishbone so they are spaced back as far as posssible. The ball stud on the hub should be placed in rear row to achive a straight line. Also fitted with 4⁰ low roll center toe plate, Hot Racing aluminum rear hub carrier and aluminum wheel hex +0.75
Rear arms.jpg
Front end with Hot Racing aluminum front bulkhead and camber block. Exotek 5mm carbon front tower. Trail = 4mm offset, Caster angle = 5⁰, Kick angle 25⁰
Front end.jpg

Chewbacca
Approved Member

Re: Tenth Technology and Team Xtreme

Post by Chewbacca »

There's one on eBay USA right now , but for 560 bucks!!!

Not mine btw
*** POWDER - KING ***

LurkingCAT
Approved Member

Re: Tenth Technology and Team Xtreme

Post by LurkingCAT »

My Vega Elite GEN 3 for Losi 22 continued...

Got FIBRE-LYTE to make some battery spacers for different configurations with saddle and Shorty.
20160906_195429.jpg
Finished car without electronics - ready for shelf life (a bit sad, but I really want to keep this one as is)
20160906_182949.jpg
20160906_183010.jpg
20160906_182709.jpg
20160906_182459.jpg
20160906_182306.jpg