"Red Tide": Lucas Agitator Pro 10 Restoration

The place to go when it doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Re: "Red Tide": Lucas Agitator Pro 10 Restoration

Post by Coelacanth »

Some progress pics...chassis before & after strip-down; chassis plate had CA glue on it that didn't look too nice, so I put some acetone in a small margarine container and put everything inside a sealed plastic bag. I'll leave it there for 24 hours at least.

The reddish color on the Kydex bumper cleaned up perfectly with a cloth and a dab of acetone.
Chassis_BeforeStripdown.JPG
Chassis_StrippedDown.JPG
ChassisPlate_AcetoneFumes.JPG
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Deanodizing LiteSink, Duratrax shocks

Post by Coelacanth »

You can definitely tell the difference in quality of anodizing between good & bad. The LiteSink needed a good 10 minutes' soak with Easy-Off oven cleaner spray and a vigorous scrubbing with a toothbrush before all the dark blue ano was removed. I'll definitely need to polish up this bad boy.
LiteSink_Deanodized.JPG
The Duratrax shocks anodizing, on the other hand...man, I've never seen ano come off so fast! I think their anodizing is barely better than paint. Just spraying on the Easy-Off, the black was smearing off. :?
DuratraxShocks_Before1.JPG
How they looked after spraying and in the time it took to turn on my camera and take a pic:
DuratraxShocks_Before2.JPG
After barely a few minutes and a brushing off with a toothbrush, they looked like this...this is without even any polishing. :shock: They don't even need much preparation before I ship them off to be reanodized, which is a bonus. 8)
DuratraxShocks_Deanodized.JPG
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Kyoshojoe
Approved Member

Post by Kyoshojoe »

check mccallister racing for a body, I used a camaro body on my slingshot build and it fit rather nice.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Time to prep the aluminum-nums

Post by Coelacanth »

With my builds, I feel that every great car starts out with a great set of wheels...something distinctive and different, if possible. I acquired 2 full sets of Sees wheels for this car; 4 rears and a pair of fronts that were NIP and 2 gently used fronts. I know most vintage purists would cry "Sacrilege!" at the very thought of deanodizing the gold off of these wheels, but even as decent as they look, brand-new, right out of the bags, they just don't "pop". I don't like the time and elbow grease needed to polish aluminum bits, but you can't beat the look; it's classy without having that cheap chrome "bling". So I rolled up my sleeves--right up to the elbows. I chose the lightly-used fronts for the deanodize/polish job, they had a few very small, barely visible rim scuffs. I left the NIP fronts with the gold anodize alone.

Original NIP Sees wheels, just as a memento in case disaster struck...
Sees_Originals.JPG

After my usual deanodizing method, a light spray & soak in Easy Off HD Oven Cleaner, then brushing off with a toothbrush.
Sees_Deanodized.JPG

And voilà, after a good 3 hours or so of light wet-sanding with 1000-grit followed by polishing compound, and after I felt everything was quite consistent, a final work-over with a soft polishing wheel drill-bit and Nu-Finish Scratch & Swirl Remover. I'll be honest - the fronts were a pain in the ass, trying to figure out ways to polish the 5 divots representing the lug nuts, and even worse--the little recesses they were in. At first, I wasn't planning to do that, but it just looked like a half-assed lazy job with part of the wheel inners not shiny like the faces & rims. But if you're gonna spend hours doing something, might as well do it right.

With original NIP front wheels for a comparison of the end results:
Sees_PolishedFronts1.JPG
Sees_PolishedFronts2.JPG

Now, work begins on the rears, but their faces are flat, no recesses, so it should be a breeze compared to the fronts.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Sees wheels deanodized & polished

Post by Coelacanth »

Finished the work on the wheels tonight. Next up are the rest of the aluminum bits.
Sees_PolishedDone2.JPG
Sees_PolishedDone1.JPG

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

I love long-forgotten projects :) Nice to see this one come back to life!
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

I didn't have the budget for anodizing a handful of the parts, so I put this on the back shelf...but I figured it was time to kick my own ass in gear and work on this build, because it's going to be a beauty. Over the past months, I acquired some essential parts and an upgrade fiberglass T-bar...caught them cheap on eBay. I just need to finish some polishing and get the anodizing done, then the build should come along pretty quickly. :)

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Did you ever find the small t-bar pivots that you were missing? I spotted this Tech Racing "Perfect Center" kit on eBay, that's for Tamiya F1 cars, and the pivots look very similar to the small pivots that the Agitator used. Could be worth a try if you're still looking for some.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182383275273?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Phin wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:42 am Did you ever find the small t-bar pivots that you were missing? I spotted this Tech Racing "Perfect Center" kit on eBay, that's for Tamiya F1 cars, and the pivots look very similar to the small pivots that the Agitator used. Could be worth a try if you're still looking for some.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182383275273?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
No I didn't, but I found something that will hopefully work. That item you linked looks like it would work, but that seller is notorious for his ridiculous prices. No way in hell I'm paying over $21 after exchange for 3 of those and a few O-rings. :lol:

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Aluminum-nums polished

Post by Coelacanth »

I finished polishing the rest of the aluminum parts, these are going to the anodizer. 8)
Aluminum-nums_Polished.jpg

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Front End Completed

Post by Coelacanth »

I finally got the front end built. It took a lot of measuring, cutting, filing, and re-measuring to within two or three hundredths of a millimeter. I actually messed up one of the spanner tubes, filing it too short...so I had to correct the mistake by re-filing all the tubes to ~8.15 mm and add a 1 mm washer, to match the original aluminum tubes' length of 9.15 mm. The length has to be pretty exact because the top and bottom of the kingpins are captured by plastic cups, with grooves in the ends for rubber O-rings. The O-ring grooves must line up exactly with the top & bottom of the horizontal plates; if the spanner tubes are even a half-millimeter too long or short, the grooves won't line up for the O-rings. There's no room for error. :?

I'm glad I'm past this part of the build! :x

FrontEnd2.jpg
FrontEnd1.jpg

Lonestar
Approved Member

Re: Front End Completed

Post by Lonestar »

Coelacanth wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:19 pm I finally got the front end built. It took a lot of measuring, cutting, filing, and re-measuring to within two or three hundredths of a millimeter. I actually messed up one of the spanner tubes, filing it too short...so I had to correct the mistake by re-filing all the tubes to ~8.15 mm and add a 1 mm washer, to match the original aluminum tubes' length of 9.15 mm. The length has to be pretty exact because the top and bottom of the kingpins are captured by plastic cups, with grooves in the ends for rubber O-rings. The O-ring grooves must line up exactly with the top & bottom of the horizontal plates; if the spanner tubes are even a half-millimeter too long or short, the grooves won't line up for the O-rings. There's no room for error. :?

I'm glad I'm past this part of the build! :x

FrontEnd2.jpg

FrontEnd1.jpg
Looking good indeed :)
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

My work got sidelined for 2 weeks because I couldn't find the tiny little 2-56 screws to mount the pivots...nobody had them! I couldn't re-use the old ones because they were all badly scratched and rounded-out, I actually had to cut two off just to free up the T-bar. :x So, I had to special-order a pack of 2-56 screws just to proceed, and they finally arrived today. So the resto can continue! :D

I had to substitute 4-40 blind nuts because I couldn't find the original cone nuts anywhere, either...but they should work fine. I just broke off the bent-up little triangular teeth and filed them smooth before threadlocking them on. The original T-bar was the only part on the underside of the chassis that was scuffed up, but I acquired a couple new fiberglass T-bars and swapped one in.

The chassis upper surface looks worn because it had the battery slots originally filed and coated with CA cement to make the slots non-conductive. I previously removed the CA residue to clean up the chassis plate.

T-Bar.jpg

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Made a little progress tonight...got the radio plate mounted to the chassis with 8mm aluminum standoffs and installed a cheap aluminum servo mount. The standoffs are just inexpensive anodized 6mm O.D. spacers with 3mm threads. I bored out the threads with a rat-tail file so the 4-40 screws would slip through easily. It's such a cheap parts swap but changes the look so much. Of course I kept all the original parts should I ever want to go "meh" and revert back to a bone-stock resto...but going that route just doesn't intrigue me.

I hit a bit of a roadblock because I can't for the life of me find red aluminum 5-40 nylon locknuts! I may have to use black instead...

ChassisProgress1.jpg
ChassisProgress2.jpg

Coelacanth
Approved Member

More front end work done

Post by Coelacanth »

A few months ago, I picked up a cheap red short-length aluminum servo horn & saver, some red 4-40 Calandra ball studs (had to pay too much for them but red 4-40 ball studs are practically unobtainium) and a pair of cheap 3 x 60mm turnbuckles to suit this build's color scheme, but because of 1:1 car projects (replaced fuel pump in the Charger; hotwire kit and fuel pump upgrade in the GN, and currently wiring in fuel pressure and boost gauges for the GN), I haven't had time to even look at RC car stuff. I got the 3mm turnbuckles installed with AE 4-40 ball-cups. Fortunately the fit wasn't too tight and the cups didn't crack or split. Mounted the polished Sees wheels with flanged bearings so I could adjust toe-in.

FrontEnd3.JPG
FrontEnd4.JPG

Now I'm pretty much at a halt in progress until I can get my other polished parts anodized red.