Buri Racer 1/8 scale 4WD electric pan car

The place to go when it doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

V12
Approved Member

Buri Racer 1/8 scale 4WD electric pan car

Post by V12 »

Starting a thread about an interesting project I found some weeks ago, the Buri Racer 1/8 scale.
It is not a vintage car but basically based on the design of early 1/8 scale 4WD onroad cars as the Kyosho Fantom 20IS 4WD and the SG VCS 4WD of the early 1980s. And using several parts from old Mantua and SG cars which are still available today. Indeed a SG VCS was used for the early prototype.

I heard about this project and did a search on the design, talking with Thomas the designer of this car and finally had the chance to try a prototype car at a large 1/8 scale nitro race last weekend. I´m really impressed with the car, how it works and the fun I had at that run. I think other guys might be interested in such car also, but you won´t find it at a shop for a reason. That´s why I want to share my knowledge and experience for this car.

Talking about the Buri Racer, actually it came to my mind through Facebook. I knew about the re-release of 2WD 1/8 scale pan cars in Italy and France since about two years but they share the same problem as Pro10 or other 2WD onroad cars. If traction is very low, there is no fun at all, that´s why I just collect them now. I always had the idea there should be a 4WD pan car but there was no these days, until the Buri Racer was born. If you like to fiddle with fast brushless cars, this might be something for you, as for me. I was not really sure before, if the Buri would be up to my expectations but now I can say yes it is. Handles great, acceleration is similar to a 1/8 nitro car with maximum speed somewhat slower but still really, really fast. Runtime with a 4S 4600mAh pack was around 7 minutes. Temperature for motor, battery and ESC were warm but OK, considering weather was extremly hot that day. It´s just important using some airflow to the motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBVal6dgaic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34oOSoAzAr4

First pictures showing a SG VCS 4WD, one of the roots of the Buri Racer.

Thomas, the designer of this car is into 1/8 scale onroad cars since more than 30 years and knows a lot of them. He is based in Austria/Europe, that´s one of the reasons why you maybe won´t find this car.
Thomas had the idea of making a 1/8 car what would be much cheaper and easier to setup than suspension cars. So perfectly for beginners of 1/8 scale and young guys who can´t afford a regular 1/8. Overall the car is built using just around sixty parts, is easy to maintain and you won´t be lost in tons of setup options as there are very little.
As you can see from pictures, the Buri uses graphite parts throughout. Machined aluminium motor mount, axle blocks will be aluminium again replacing the original plastic parts of a vintage Mantua car, used for the prototypes.
Drive system is a solid tubular rear axle and oneway system for the front, as the suspension cars. One belt connecting front and rear drive. Some sort of suspension is used through chassis flex and a rocker front end. Several top plates using different camber settings for the front end were tried, from what I learned a fixed 1° camber setting will be used for production, this seems affecting even tire wear. Castor could be adjusted using several fixed positions. Rocker plate could be adjusted also, that´s it. No shocks, no springs. A quick release system is used for front and rear so any current 1/8 wheels could be used.
Prototype cars had been built for nitro and electric motors, Thomas decided to release just the electric version for the moment.
The Buri project is not really commercial and won´t be sold through shops, otherwise the car would be much more expensive and can´t compete with suspension car kits. The kit will be available in about 4 weeks and I hope I will have one of the first kits. I know at least one other member here will have a Buri car too, so it will be interesting sharing personal experiences.
A website for the Buri Racer is in the works but you can contact Thomas and finde more informations also at Facebook currently. If there are any questions on the car, equipment etc. I try to help also. I had several prototype cars in hand at the last ENS race and had a real close look at them, also Thomas answered a lot of my questions there.

Speaking of electronics, the Buri is designed for a 4S brushless system, same as used for 1/8 offroad cars. Battery will be fixed by battery locator and velcro type as some sort of battery brace. ESC could be any 4S capable but they found Hobbywing being the best choice. Motors at the prototype cars were 4 pole sensorless motors with around 2300KV rating. Most of the prototype cars were using cheap Turnigy Trackstar which seem quite good and were very fast. 2500KV might be a rocket, I think I will be going with something like 2100KV and I know someone will be trying even lower rating but larger pinion. Servo could be used any standard or low profile servo but I think should use metal gears and should be digital 8 kg rating. Bodies could be any 1/8 gas car version as dimensions are same.

If someone wonder why I start this thread, I won´t earn any money. I just think this is a really interesting car, not sold through the industry. I really like the concept, also I think this is a car where I will have much more tracktime than spend on setting up or preparing. Some guys know I´m collecting also 1/8 cars but I don´t race them, for a reason. This time it´s the opposite. I used to race Pro10 cars but when you´re older and eyes are fading, a larger 1/8 car makes more sense too.
Attachments
SG VCS 4WD.jpg

V12
Approved Member

Re: Buri Racer 1/8 scale 4WD electric pan car

Post by V12 »

Pictures 1 - 4 showing Buri prototype. Picture 5 is pre-production build, similar to production car but missing aluminium axle blocks, ride height adjusters and adjustable belt tensioners what will come with final car. Turnigy Trackstar motor.
Attachments
Buri-1.jpg
Buri-2.jpg
Buri-3.jpg
Buri-4.jpg
Buri-5.jpg
Buri-exploded.jpg

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

graphite parts
Attachments
graphite parts-2.jpg
graphite parts.jpg

tiger1
Approved Member

Post by tiger1 »

beautiful product!!!!!

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Comparing with 1/8 suspension car what needs 6S brushless system for being fast, it is just 1/3 of overall cost, maybe even less. 6S system car will be even faster, but also faster than gas car and too difficult to drive for most guys.
4S system at suspension car is said running to hot and burning.
Buri Racer is around 1lb less weight and much less drag so runs much cooler and is faster with same 4S system.

At 1/8 electric race at Austrian track Buri Racers were just around 0.4s slower than Serpent suspension 6S car. Next race Buri beat the Serpent car.

Interesting experience at large ENS race with 170 gas drivers competing in 1/8 and 1/10 class. In the evening Thomas provided four Buri cars for demo runs for everyone to check out. In the beginning nobody wanted to test. Jilles Grosskamp was one of the very few drivers who tested. Next day evening Buri Racers were available again for checking out. This time you hardly could get one as those drivers who were testing, didn´t want to let go transmitter again. I also wanted to check the car but had to wait a long time, finally had a blast with this car. :mrgreen:

Running the Buri seems quite cheap, one of the local drivers who bought a Buri pre-production some weeks ago told me of no wear at the drive system after maybe 5 hours of use. Breaking just one plastic part after crash caused by driver error, this is replaced at production car by aluminium part.
Tires are cheap too, most guys who own one of the 20 prototype cars are using Sheperd Spec Tires, one set of 4 tires are just 18€. Much cheaper than Pro10 tires and more lifetime.

Niki
Approved Member

Post by Niki »

I had a plan to design and build 1/8 scale brushless old-school pan car for myself. Even purchased old RC250 for reference and parts.
After seeing all the pictures and videos about Buri-Racer, I knew I don't need to design anything. This is just what I wanted. Looks fantastic!
V12's test drive nailed everything and I placed my order in a couple of days ago :wink:

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Replying to a PM here as it might be interesting also for other guys.

I´m not 100% sure if price for the Buri Racer is fixed yet but I was told 350 Euros for the kit. Maybe Niki could confirm.
Kit will be for the roller without wheels, tires or body. You could use any wheels and body intended for current 1/8 gas cars as dimensions are same. There are lots of different wheels/tires out there so you could run whatever you like or maybe have.

Buri Racer actually is intended for those guys who are on a budget (but of course not limited to them :wink: ) so the Buri team runs handout or spec tires for ENS series usually. These are Sheperd Carbon wheels with front tires 32 shore and rear tires 35 shore.

Motors.
The Buri Racer is intended for use with 4S brushless buggy motors, these are around 42mm diameter can.
I´m pretty sure nobody did use a brushed motor so far, I personally think it doesn´t make sense.
You have to see the Buri car is quite low weight but still around 2200 grams, a suspension car would be around 500grams or 1 lb more. Drive train drag and inertia also is lower than suspension car but again much more than 1/10 cars because of size, I can´t think any usual 05 or 540 size brushed motor could handle this.
I know back in around 1980 Delta had a Super-J electric 1/8 car what was powered by a larger Astro motor and up to 12 cells. Maybe you could use a newer Astro Cobalt motor again with 3S or 4S lipo battery but I don´t think this makes any sense regarding costs.
Most of the Buri drivers used cheap Turnigy Trackstar 1/8 motors, some of them also the budget Hobbywing 4S 120A ESC. I´m not sure if a brushed system would be really cheaper, but for sure such system would be much slower and maybe would burn at some point as brushed motors have bad efficiency comparing with brushless systems.

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

More pictures of the Buri Racer. This is newest version, very close or same as final kit version.
Machined aluminium front and rear axle blocks, with ride height adjusters.
Rear axle was changed to 12mm (around 1/2") diameter. Tubular special steel.
Ball bearing servo saver and aluminium servo posts included with kit.
Attachments
Buri-6.jpg
Buri-7.jpg
Buri-8.jpg
Buri-9.jpg
Buri-10.jpg
Buri-11.jpg

Puffdogg
Approved Member

Post by Puffdogg »

Great car from what I've read. Will be getting mine soon.

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Good choice. I think you won´t be disappointed. Will you have a preproduction car or a production kit?
What will you use for motor and ESC?

I could have a pre also but decided to wait for the kit. Later this month.
Hope to meet Thomas from Buri Racers at the 1/8 scale European Championships in about two weeks if he can make it.
I have no motor, ESC or any other stuff needed for 1/8 so far. Seems there is large demand for the good stuff and I´m not going to buy just anything, just for making sure I will have everything here when the kit arrives. Preferring waiting for getting the stuff I´m really wanting.
Not really sure for the motor yet but I have decided for ESC and batteries. Also body and tires.

If someone have experience with motors for 1/8 scale buggies (which are the same needed for the Buri car) please post what you found. What works and what don´t work very well. So far I know just the Turnigy Trackstar 1/8 motors what work quite good.

romulus22
Approved Member

Post by romulus22 »

I would have no where to actually drive this car but I want it so bad.

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

If someone have one of the popular 1/8 electric offroad cars but also likes or want to try a road course cars, this is something what´s perfect for this task. You could use existing motors, ESC and 4S batteries. It´s just necessary to use the correct motor size what is around 42mm diameter and around 68-70mm length. Longer motors could fit also but have more torque usually what´s not necessary. Perfect KV rating would be around 1900 - 2300KV. 2300KV is super fast, we think even KV down to 1600 could be used but nobody have tried yet.

I was talking to Thomas (Buri) lately and he told me parts for the kit are arriving at them one by one, so kits will be completed quite soon. :D Can´t await getting mine.
They are working currently at the manual and a new logo for the Buri.
I think such car would be not really difficult to build but they decided to do real building instructions.

One note on spare parts. I personally think this is one of the sturdiest road course cars I ever have seen but if you ever break something there will be spares available of course. Beside machined and a few custom parts, this car also uses several Mantua/SG parts what could be purchased at Mantua online shop also. I heard there will be also a parts list with Mantua part # added.
I will be going with two certain spare parts from the beginning as these could wear later at some point also but I can´t think of breaking any other parts. I have seen lots of drivers testing four Buri cars at the last ENS race, with some crashes when drivers were overdoing it. Nothing broke from what I have seen so I´m confident I won´t need any spares actually. A spur gear could be damaged at any car if you catch up debris or motor comes loose, so this will be one of the spares I will order from the beginning.

If someone needs further informations you could contact Thomas through their website or Facebook. I´m not a member of the Buri team but feel free contacting me also through PM or Classic RC museum. For the next week I will be on vacation, after that visiting the 1/8 scale Nitro European Championships where I hope to meet Thomas. Maybe also receiving my kit if all parts are in.
If someone will be a driver, mechanic or visitor of the 1/8 Euros I would be happy to meet there.

V12
Approved Member

Post by V12 »

Seems kits for the Buri Racer are close to finalizing. Most parts are in, just found pictures for the moulded parts which are not Mantua but made specially for the Buri Racer. Pulleys and ride height adapters, see picture. I think look pretty good.
As the production car uses anodized aluminium parts I´m really curious to see which colour they go for. Thomas have not send me any info on this, it´s one of the last secrets before releasing the production car to the public.

I have seen at Facebook Buri team is up for the Mantua 1/8 Classic days in Italy this weekend, for introducing the new car.
Hope they will post some pictures.
Attachments
Buri moulded parts.jpg

Puffdogg
Approved Member

Post by Puffdogg »

Hi V12
I am going to get the production version. Not sure on which esc/motor combo yet. Can you perhaps recommend one? I am not a serious racer...just going to do some laps at the local track

Dirtdiver
Approved Member

Post by Dirtdiver »

It looks like a great car, unfortunately there aren't many 1/8th scale on-road tracks left in the US.