Project Tomy Intruder Vintage Racer

The place to go when it doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

wydraz
Approved Member

Re: Project Tomy Intruder Vintage Racer

Post by wydraz »

Jamie, that gold shock tower you've fitted to the rear is actually a front tower mounted upside-down.

I have some alloy bits I don't want/need including arms and towers - drop me an email [email protected]

Dan R

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

:oops: I told you guys I just don't have a dam clue what I'm doing. I tried to rebuild my mountain bike once and put the brakes on the wrong way. Guy in the bike shop found it amusing.

I guess I could consul myself by saying at least I have a go and try..

Dan I will email you now. Thank you.

wydraz
Approved Member

Post by wydraz »

JamieB wrote::oops: I told you guys I just don't have a dam clue what I'm doing. I tried to rebuild my mountain bike once and put the brakes on the wrong way. Guy in the bike shop found it amusing.

I guess I could consul myself by saying at least I have a go and try..

Dan I will email you now. Thank you.
That's what we are all here for to help each other out, share knowledge and admire each others cars :) hope you didn't mind me mentioning the shock tower thing mate.

Cheers

naushad
Approved Member

Post by naushad »

You've got some great parts there - especially the alloy eccentrics. GPM I think made several hop ups for the intruder.

naushad
Approved Member

Post by naushad »

AR shocks are from Ansmann Racing.

naushad
Approved Member

Post by naushad »

The alloy red arms remind me of GPM yokomo 870C hop ups.

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

Dan honestly mention any aspects that I have done wrong or may need reworking. I should have really sat my built car next to this one an used that as a model to make sure I get things right. I'm here to learn so point out any mistakes, I'm bound to make more :lol:

Thanks for the heads up on the shocks. Not sure why they were fitted to this car, they are super stiff.

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

Sometimes in life things get a bit frustrating and a bit annoying. I have been feeling a little like that with this project. One of the reasons is a current total lack of knowledge about all the current bits that make these cars work. I knew getting back into the hobby, although in a limited means would be tough but thought things may have gone a bit smoother. Anyway that’s enough of the moaning (for now) here is what’s been happening.

Progress is slow but moving in the right direction. Some of what I have been doing maybe time wasting :roll:

One of the time wasting aspects is sorting the screws into matching types. I also started to sort the spares for the racer into order.

I visited the local model shop, weather was good, other half was busy so I took a drive down there with the hopes I would walk in with my old Tomy and at least pick up some matching paint to paint one of my repro shells. I should have known things were not going to be that easy. None of the Tamiya paints on the shelf matched, I was then advised many where out of stock due to the Christmas rush. I was further advised my shell has white backing which will have lightened any colour first applied.

I was also advised that the shell may have been painted in another companies paints who were popular back in the day but no longer exist.

I decided to buy some masking tapes and body shell scissors instead. I find spending money helps me until I get the bill!

The replica shell may have to be painted in slightly different shades to the original. I don’t think it’s worth me asking someone to mix up the colours and then spraying the shell for me. Especially after costing up all the other spares I am looking at. I will buy some Tamiya paints online which I think could be the correct ones and then practice on the under tray and see how they come out.

I asked in the shop about diff pulleys, I was hopeful the guy would give me a box to go through for me to check if anything matched. He basically told me to go look online. Problem with that is I can’t match up the pulleys side by side to see what is a close fit.

I asked about turnbuckles and got pretty much the same response.

I’m not joking, if the guy had been more helpful and spent more time with me I would have purchased a lot more, such as electronics etc. I have got a list of what I would like to get and checked out compatibility on another forum. I’m certain the shop I was in had the items or very similar. Their loss, I will just order on line even though I do prefer to help out local business.

I bought a set of shocks of ebay at the weekend, not going to say what ones, they weren’t cheap, I want to make sure the fit before I make myself look silly. In fact I want to test them on the vintage racer before I post the pics. Hopefully the vintage race meets are more about fun than having a pure vintage racer. The shocks are old but a lot newer then the Tomy era.

I ordered some drill bits, I want to drill out some of the old hubs that have seized screws. Not essential but I want these in the box of spares, I want to know what I can and can’t use.

I did manage to get some others freed and liberated the drive shafts. A few of the spare ones are slightly bent so it’s good to have more options here.

I moved the shock mount to the front of the car where it should be. :oops: I still think the car looks ugly, just need to get it finished up and get some wheels on it.

I was handed a package at work today from Canada, I knew immediately what it was. A few sets of reproduction decals for the intruder. Oh man, I really wanted the bold Tomy logo to be displayed. I know these cars got some stick because of the name when they first raced, they probably still do but I am proud to own one or two of these and can’t wait to show them off on the track.

I have an address I will be sending some belts to. Hopefully the place has something which will work out.

I watched an episode of Top Gear many years ago which featured the TVR Sagaris. The presenter was driving the car and mentioned there had been a European directive regarding safety aspects of cars. ABS, air bag requirements etc. The TVR had no such safety aspects, the presenter commented the owner of TVR had simply said “Don’t Crash”! I think I will have to adopt the same mentality..

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

Not much progress but some interesting news.

So at the weekend I had my long awaited trip to Wales to climb Snowdon. I decided the model shop Kits and Bits that built my car which is based in Coventry was basically on the way. I thought it would be interesting to pop in and say hi. Turned out to be a worthwhile visit.

I picked up some Tamiya paint which is actually for general plastic models. I was advised AGAINST using this on RC shells as it would crack and flake off. Well guess what, the shell I am trying to replicate has flaking paint. I think I have got the colour matched correct and will try to find some time over the next few days to spray an under tray to compare to the original shell colours. Am I crazy painting a shell in pain that wont last. You bet. People are always telling me I am crazy. :wink:

I have also spent a lot of time measuring and comparing parts. I'm like a do chasing my own tail, I'm not really getting anywhere fast but learning a lot about the car and the bits I have. I think I can build three rollers. Some of the spares I have are brand new so not sure I want to use these or just keep for keeps sake in cotton wool. Told you I was crazy.

:lol:

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

JamieB wrote:People are always telling me I am crazy.
You don't HAVE to be crazy, but it helps! :lol: Keep up the good work!
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

Guys I cant post in the trade section. Shame as I wanted to post an advert for a GPM rear suspension mount as I need one for my bling build. :wink:

By the way the painting testing didn't work out. I will post some close up pics of the shell with what I suspect the paint to be to see if you guys can ID the colour, if not will settle for close as can be. I need to practice my masking as well. At least I only messed up an under-tray, it wasn't an original one so not too bothered.

Be good if I could find a GPM rear wing..

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

Currently sat at home looking after my daughter who is unwell :( she will be OK in a couple of days and back at nursery, high temperature. She is just making me a picnic.

Right everyone, I just grabbed my camera and took these

Any ideas on the colours used?

Not tested this yet but think its too light
Tamiya PS-4 Blue Polycarbonate Spray

Tamiya PS-20 Flourescent Red Polycarbonate Spray
Tamiya PS-34 Bright Red Polycarbonate Spray
Tamiya PS-60 Bright Mica Red Polycarbonate Spray

Not sure I can afford to buy all these sprays but may do just to see which is the closest one.

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

Firstly, this body and the car this belongs to is going to stay boxed. The shell is pretty much bashed up and would be a shame to use. I'm trying to paint a repro shell that I have in the same colour scheme. Yes I am mad. :lol:

Good comment about the red and the blue being different types of paint. Recently a model shop suggested the paint could be the wrong type, I wrongly assumed both colours were wrong. Your comment about possibly just the blue being the wrong type give me other options. As does the idea this may not even be spray paint.

The blue looked a good match on the lid of the one I purchased, dam thing came out with a slight metallic tint which wasn't described on the tin. Not that I noticed any way.

I'm not going to spend too much time on this but would really like to get the same paint scheme. Also it helps me avoid having to think of another scheme to paint the car.

I'm taking my daughter to the local hobby craft store today to see what paint they have.

Unfortunately we are not allowed to own guns in the UK. Probably for the best...

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

The guy told me some interesting stories about the release of the kit in the UK and who he bought the kits from. He also mentioned he went to a toy fair and spoke direct with Tomy UK who had no idea what he was talking about. It seemed some guy in the UK bypassed Tomy UK and went direct to Tomy to import the kits himself and sold them to shops from a flat.

No idea how much if any of this is true. Was a dam interesting story though.

I still have the electrics pictured in that buggy. It seems he must have sold it to someone and that someone is who I purchased the car from. I got lucky as I missed out on an ebay auction, contacted the guy months later and he sold it to me at what he had paid for it. I think this must have been the back end of 2011. Annoyingly I have a different personal email address and ebay account since then so it’s difficult to track 100% the purchase. I remember the price boxed was £100. Must have been about right back then. Some may argue that’s all it’s worth now but I love it.

Now my memory is useless and sometimes I’m not sure if I create memories but I’m pretty sure I had a receipt in the box detailing the sale of the car and also the build. From Kits n Bits to the original owner. Problem is I can’t find the receipt any more so not sure if I just made the whole thing up. I have a couple of bits of paper work in the box which indicate the car was raced at a club in Coventry (UK) which makes sense with where the car was originally sold and built. Obviously it never raced in a world championships but it’s nice to know it was actually raced and abused. I have recently transported the electrics to my RC10T3. Lack of funds so have to rely on moving antique parts around.

I also have a 94 YZ10 which seems to have been raced at club level. When she is older my daughter can race me with my Intruder.

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

So last night I spent hours masking up my repro shell to then tear the masking out. How do I go about removing masking residue? Washing up liquid doesn't seem to be working on this stuff? I'm using Tamiya masking tape.

I decided to try to replicate the colour scheme as per the original shell I have as it looked to be simple. :oops: I will keep trying, gives me something to do and helps me to chill out and relax. Hopefully the end product will look good. I'm sure its probably me and not the shell.

I have also ordered some new bits and pieces to start the racer build. Just a shame I am missing one of the big vintage meets later this year. I'm sure I will get another opportunity.

So as funds and time allow progress is being made. I also have some other things in the pipe line as well..