Project Tomy Intruder Vintage Racer

The place to go when it doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JamieB
Approved Member

Re: Project Tomy Intruder Vintage Racer

Post by JamieB »

One other thing, or several, Schumacher shocks or Kyosho Gold? The car wont be raced. Also I am having trouble getting the bits that mount the shocks away from the carbon mounts.

wydraz
Approved Member

Post by wydraz »

The Fibrelyte Intruder rear tower is not cut correctly Jamie - you need to dremel it down to fit the wing mount.

I did the same.

Yep that is an EX bumper :)

Dan

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

So they always come out wrong? :roll: I don't have a dremel so will have to fit a different style wing.

wydraz
Approved Member

Post by wydraz »

tamiyadan wrote:now you have an excuse to buy a dremel,, you will need one anyway :).

easy job also..
take the original shock tower, and bolt it to the new one at the bulk head using some 3mm screws and nuts, that will line everything up, then just cut down the shape of the larger to fit the smaller and you will have a perfect job.. finish up with some sanding sticks or files and nobody will tell the difference.

also don't forget when dealing with carbon or fiberglass you have to seal the edges to keep them from delaminating.

use CA glue on all the edges to lock everything together.
Good advice, this is what I did although I removed the original tower to do the profiling.

I would strongly recommend a Dremel Jamie.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Optional: Color the edges with black Sharpie marker before adding the CA glue, it gives them a nice glossy black look. I do it exactly the way tamiyadan described; bolting the 2 parts together to align them is an important step.

With an inside rectangle cut like what you'll need to do, I would drill two 3mm guide holes at the intended new corners of the shock tower interior section, making sure the guide hole edges are inside the area intended to be removed...it's better to leave a bit extra to be filed down than to remove a bit too much. Then I would hacksaw down to the guide hole on each vertical, then Dremel the middle horizontal...and file everything nice & smooth after.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

Thanks guys, funny thing I need a dremel to decoke my XR650l head for my engine rebuild. Guess it would come in super handy.

I keep looking at this car, didn't like it for a while as it was too bling, I love it now though, think it was the pics on the white that did it. I have a good idea for the shell for this one as well.

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any specific information on what parts I could use that fit the Intruder?

I know I can use Yokomo hubs, wheels, be good to know what drive shafts fit for sure as well as c hubs (front) and also rear. Any alternative front knuckles fit?

I seem to have a few spares for these items but if I break any I am in the brown stuff so need alternatives. What were people swapping out back in the day?

One other thing, steering components, could I in theory swap in the bell cranks form an RC10 or is that a stupid idea?

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

I have a Kyosho Lazer, I'm going to test to see if any of those bits would work. Are the knuckles the same?

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

Dan, just getting around to responding, thanks for the tip. When the other half is out I will sneak my stash of cars out and see if I can get any bits to fit.

In the meantime I found by accident an old post on here regarding a tub Lazer build from way back. The thread inspired me to add some bits to my Tomy Tub chassis. This is just being built as a display car. Well one that will likely sit in the bottom of a wardrobe but will get to be enjoyed by me. I have enough parts to complete the build although some of the parts will be a bit worn/old/used and I will need to pick up an repro body and repro YZ10 wheels.

I know the shock mount is not standard, happy to fit it for now as this was fitted to one of the Intruder chassis I picked up about 3 years ago. Any idea what car it would have come from originally?

Oh and I will have to fit Kyosho gold shocks to this one. Seems Tomy shock and wheels are impossible to find. Still the Kyosho shocks were fitted to some of the cars back in the day so happy this was period acceptable.

I still need to start the build I will race at the revival 2017. Unable to make this years event as the date clashes with a charity bike ride I am doing. Seeing as I wont need the car until 2017 there is no rush to get it finished. I am still buying parts for it. The car will be a mix of original Tomy Intruder, period mods and modern parts.

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

So I worked out the carbon front shock is indeed a Tomy period shock based on the GPM ali ones.

ImageIMG_7133 by Jamie London Kent, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7135 by Jamie London Kent, on Flickr

Any one know who would of made these or was it a custom job?

After acquiring some more Tomy parts and some spare time I have added to the Tub build. I have some more bits to add and should be able to find some time in the next few weeks to finish this one off.

ImageIMG_7145 by Jamie London Kent, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7144 by Jamie London Kent, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7142 by Jamie London Kent, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7138 by Jamie London Kent, on Flickr

I have also added to the Bling build with yet more period bling items. Photos for that car will follow soon.

I'm looking for a Tomy GPM rear Ali shock mount. If you have one for sale please contact me. If you have one and can send me a photo plus a photocopy please contact me. Basically I am desperate to get one. Thanks.

I also have other cars in the pipeline as well as the one I want to build to race but due to time and funds that one is being pushed back all the time. Hope you enjoy these pics.

Jamie

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

Finally got this one to this stage and will be racing it at the Iconic Revival event at the end of July.

I will post up some thoughts post event and some pics of the car. Hopefully she holds together.

Delorean
Approved Member

Post by Delorean »

Nice one Jamie!

I'll be keen to hear how it goes, i've been reading through your thread, though not in super detail and i think theres a shelfer mixed in there too, can you put up a little run down of the specs of your buggy that you'll be racing, options used etc?

All the best with it!

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

Thanks.

I have a couple of Intruders in various stages of progress. With the lack of available parts and other commitments plus funds getting these built is taking a lot longer than I originally anticipated.

The one with the painted body is a standard Intruder. Currently with a Speedpassion 17.5t although I also have an untested 10.5t. ESC is an ebay 120A cheapo special. Lipo's are Orion saddles, steering is a Savox 1258 all controlled by a cheap Code transmitter.

I will eventually upgrade the equipment depending on how much I actually get out and race. Family commitments take priority so when I am allowed out to play and have a free date I am going to book any available vintage meets.

The tub Intruder is a shelfer and will never be used. Far too rare for that and now has a TCS fitted.

I also have the bling build which I am desperate for a GPM rear shock tower. I have three GPM front shock towers, a few arms and other odds and ends but the rear tower seems impossible to locate.

Hopefully I don't strip any belts as these are a nightmare to get. I someone who has a few of the rears but the main long one is hard to get.

I'm really sad, I keep looking at the car and smiling :D

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

PS-34 Bright Red - I would use this again as I think its a good enough match.
PS-14 Copper - I thought if I backed this it would come out darker. I do like the scheme but its not exact box art and would look to use a darker colour on the next one.
PS-12 Silver - I would use this again, I think its a good match to the box art version.
PS-5 Black - Guess black is black and I am happy with the match.

I was limited to rattle cans as I don't have an airbrush yet.

Have you seen the NIB Tomy build over on http://www.rcracer.co.nz/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=17826 ? Not sure if I am allowed to link to another forum. Admins, if not sorry and feel free to delete my post and I will post again without the link.

I understand Dennis used:

Red - Parma faskolor - fasred 60 ml bottle
Brown- tamiya- XF-10 flat brown 10 ml pot
Silver- tamiya- XF-16 flat aluminium 10 ml pot

I think the result is great. The box art cars darker area does seem to be some sort of metallic though? I have stared at it so much my other half thinks I have lost the plot.

I have been shot down for saying this before so stick with me. I love the box art scheme and the stickers, I think the car looks so much like a toy but clearly its not. You know people laughed when Tomy released this car and by the looks of it I'm sure many people thought they were justified in laughing. That is until the car raced around the track. OK to my knowledge the car never won any major titles but it came 2nd by one point in the RRC championship one year and I'm pretty sure second again another year but would need to check.

I have also heard but not been able to verify that a Tomy Intruder, set up as a touring car won a championship some years after Tomy pulled the plug! Would love to be able to verify this and until I do I wont make myself look silly by stating this as fact publically.

Hopefully no one bases the result of my car Sunday on the actual ability of the car. I have not raced for many years so to just complete the event with the car in one piece will be an achievement for me. I do have some spares but cant afford to break too much!

Be interesting to compile a list of Tomy events and final placed result.

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »