Please help support RC10Talk.com!
Donate towards my web hosting bill!
Any contribution helps!!

Project Tomy Intruder Vintage Racer

The place to go when it doesn't fit anywhere else..

Moderator: shodog

tamiyadan
Approved
What was your first real rc car?: Big bear

Re: Project Tomy Intruder Vintage Racer

Post by tamiyadan » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:37 am

Fiber-lyte will actually make any chassis in their catalog into a tub, its a side service they have had the intruder and EX patterns since the 1990s.
they will also cut out saddle pack holes for extra cost if you want to lower the CG of the car more.

the member here on rc10talk is I think Welshy40 i worked with him before to make some stuff also tiger1 and a couple other guys.

tiger1
Approved
What was your first real rc car?: Rough Rider

Post by tiger1 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:51 am

I had gotten fibrelyte items second hand but never got any from fibrelyte directly...

Their quality is usually good. :)

tamiyadan
Approved

Post by tamiyadan » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:25 pm

tiger1 i thought it was Fiber-lyte back in 2011 that made the tomy chassis for us., but i was going through the PMs and it was me that mentioned Fiber-lyte because i asked them for the CAD designs then you had somebody you know punch out the chassis, upperdeck, steering arm, and front and rear towers. we went back and forth on the benefits of playing around with the saddle pack placement or just going original style cutouts.
apologies.

tiger1
Approved
What was your first real rc car?: Rough Rider

Post by tiger1 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:35 pm

Yes, I do have a set of custom made EX chassis and parts :)

Peakey
Approved
What was your first real rc car?: Tamiya Bigfoot

Post by Peakey » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:17 am

tamiyadan wrote:Fiber-lyte will actually make any chassis in their catalog into a tub, its a side service they have had the intruder and EX patterns since the 1990s.
Unfortunately they won't make tubs out of any chassis in there catalog trust me I have tried. They will on the other hand make a tub chassis if they still have the mold for it ie the cat 2000 which they still have so will produce one if you ask for it, there not cheap as there very labour intensive as Stephen told me.
The old tubs that they found recently are great I'm working on a RC10 and a Schumacher Cougar one ATM but as they were never finished there taking some time and effort to get right

JamieB
What was your first real rc car?: Schumacher Cougar

Post by JamieB » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:51 pm

Been having a little mess around with the bling build. I noticed two things..

First the front bumper was bugging me. It just didn't seem right. So I checked it out, removed it and believe it to be an EX front bumper.

Needs a lot more work but here are the latest updates

Yes I need to sort out the alignment of the wheels front and back.

I went to fit the wing mount and hit a problem I had not noticed before.

Spot it?

I will give you a clue

The shock mount has not been trimmed as per the original. I will contact the guy I purchased this from to discuss further.

The rear drive shafts are very close to coming out of the diff drive parts. Hopefully this will be fixed when I adjust the settings of the turnbuckles.

Just as a recap, this project car is the bling build, I am building it from a set of bling part I received a few months back. Most of which I didn't even know existed. So it is kinda like a tribute build to all the bling bits you could have purchased back in the day.

My project racer is coming along at a snails pace. I am buying up knew parts as funds allow, just told the model shop to send me what they have as I gave up waiting on the other bits on order for over six weeks. Most of the screws etc are going to be new. If I can get the carbon shock mounts correctly made I will order another set. I'm also thinking about a carbon chassis but not sure. May just go with one of the spare original used ones I have.

I have some other Tomy things in the pipe line as well. Announcements sooner or later.

JamieB

Post by JamieB » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:56 pm

One other thing, or several, Schumacher shocks or Kyosho Gold? The car wont be raced. Also I am having trouble getting the bits that mount the shocks away from the carbon mounts.

tamiyadan
Approved

Post by tamiyadan » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:45 pm

yeah the EX bumper is different from the intruder bumper they are not interchange.

I need one want to sell it :-)?

the shock spacers?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Spacers ... GL5newhXcA

wydraz
Approved
What was your first real rc car?: Kyosho Optima Mid

Post by wydraz » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:10 pm

The Fibrelyte Intruder rear tower is not cut correctly Jamie - you need to dremel it down to fit the wing mount.

I did the same.

Yep that is an EX bumper :)

Dan

JamieB

Post by JamieB » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:07 pm

So they always come out wrong? :roll: I don't have a dremel so will have to fit a different style wing.

tamiyadan
Approved

Post by tamiyadan » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:35 pm

now you have an excuse to buy a dremel,, you will need one anyway :).

easy job also..
take the original shock tower, and bolt it to the new one at the bulk head using some 3mm screws and nuts, that will line everything up, then just cut down the shape of the larger to fit the smaller and you will have a perfect job.. finish up with some sanding sticks or files and nobody will tell the difference.

also don't forget when dealing with carbon or fiberglass you have to seal the edges to keep them from delaminating.

use CA glue on all the edges to lock everything together.

wydraz
Approved
What was your first real rc car?: Kyosho Optima Mid

Post by wydraz » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:03 pm

tamiyadan wrote:now you have an excuse to buy a dremel,, you will need one anyway :).

easy job also..
take the original shock tower, and bolt it to the new one at the bulk head using some 3mm screws and nuts, that will line everything up, then just cut down the shape of the larger to fit the smaller and you will have a perfect job.. finish up with some sanding sticks or files and nobody will tell the difference.

also don't forget when dealing with carbon or fiberglass you have to seal the edges to keep them from delaminating.

use CA glue on all the edges to lock everything together.
Good advice, this is what I did although I removed the original tower to do the profiling.

I would strongly recommend a Dremel Jamie.

Coelacanth
What was your first real rc car?: Tamiya Frog

Post by Coelacanth » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:19 pm

Optional: Color the edges with black Sharpie marker before adding the CA glue, it gives them a nice glossy black look. I do it exactly the way tamiyadan described; bolting the 2 parts together to align them is an important step.

With an inside rectangle cut like what you'll need to do, I would drill two 3mm guide holes at the intended new corners of the shock tower interior section, making sure the guide hole edges are inside the area intended to be removed...it's better to leave a bit extra to be filed down than to remove a bit too much. Then I would hacksaw down to the guide hole on each vertical, then Dremel the middle horizontal...and file everything nice & smooth after.
Completed projects: CYANide | Zebra Optima | Barney | OptiMutt
Current projects: 'Red Tide' Lucas Agitator

tamiyadan
Approved

Post by tamiyadan » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:12 pm

if you really want to get fancy,,, glue up the carbon edges, then mask the chassis and either spray the edges or brush the edges in the color to match the anodized parts or body color.
I've done that a couple of times, it is work but shows very professional.

JamieB

Post by JamieB » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:42 pm

Thanks guys, funny thing I need a dremel to decoke my XR650l head for my engine rebuild. Guess it would come in super handy.

I keep looking at this car, didn't like it for a while as it was too bling, I love it now though, think it was the pics on the white that did it. I have a good idea for the shell for this one as well.

Return to “Other Makes/Models”