Mugen Manx

The place to go when it doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderator: shodog

tamiyadan
Approved
What was your first real rc car?: Big bear

Re: Mugen Manx

Post by tamiyadan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:46 pm

"The Radio Shack truck that you say is a "bruiser clone" had zero parts in common with the Bruiser.."

nope not the truck i'm talking about. Not everything is on a google search. tandy scrubbed that one fast back in the 1980s.
I have the a few parts from one somewhere. I never bought the truck i ordered a couple of parts from tandy since MRC was no help at all.
If i remember i have the one piece spur gear( the clone did not use the overload clutch) as a replacement for a blown clutch in one of mine.
a plastic front axle gear case. and a couple of sets of the fake 3 piece rims which were stronger then the tamiya but were painted silver not chromed.

GoMachV
What was your first real rc car?: hornet

Post by GoMachV » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:34 pm

As far as the Wave Hunter, I have a transmitter in a monogram bag that says Wave Hunter, I always thought it was a mystery boat radio but was this just what they called their radios then?
My Garage < RC Car Action scans, manuals, and other fun stuff
Direct link to manuals and documents
Factory Works website

hibernaculum
What was your first real rc car?: Tandy Jeep Renegade

Post by hibernaculum » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:24 pm

tamiyadan wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:46 pm
nope not the truck i'm talking about. Not everything is on a google search. tandy scrubbed that one fast back in the 1980s.
I have the a few parts from one somewhere.
Well I'd be interested to see it then. And as for '"not everything is on a google search" - my reply wasn't based on google searches. I have every Radio Shack catalogue between 1975 and 1995, as well as practically every off-road car they released in the 1980s, NIB. And I'm not familiar with the truck you're referring to. It's also possible that some Radio Shack franchisees stocked the occasional product that was limited to their stores only. I certainly saw this happen in Australia on occasion, in the 80s.

hibernaculum

Post by hibernaculum » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:33 pm

GoMachV wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:34 pm
As far as the Wave Hunter, I have a transmitter in a monogram bag that says Wave Hunter, I always thought it was a mystery boat radio but was this just what they called their radios then?
Yes, pretty much every R/C car made by Yonezawa had "Wave Hunter" on the transmitter - this was just a kind of sub-branding of their R/C cars, and it has led to some confusion (e.g. this Wikipedia article is false as far as the name goes, and a few other things - maybe I should try to edit it). Other brands also did similar things, e.g. the Japanese company Shinsei also used the wording "Radio Elecon" on their transmitters and boxes, but really the company name was Shinsei.

Yonezawa made quite a few R/C cars in the 1980s, but the Land Dash and Missiler (both released in 1984) were the two 540-motor powered models, that aimed for a slice of the Tamiya market by offering fast performance in an RTR package.

Original Yonezawa Land Dash (aka Monogram Lightning) as sold in the "home market"...

GoMachV
What was your first real rc car?: hornet

Post by GoMachV » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:40 pm

Very cool. I actually have one of the Monogram Thunder kits which you don't see come up too often
Attachments
IMG_9334.JPG
My Garage < RC Car Action scans, manuals, and other fun stuff
Direct link to manuals and documents
Factory Works website

hibernaculum

Post by hibernaculum » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:12 am

Very cool also - there are not many examples of the Monogram Thunder release still around, that are NIB.

Lonestar
What was your first real rc car?: MRC Bullit

Post by Lonestar » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:37 am

These were the days when RC was popular enough that everyone was jumping on the bandwagon...

long gone times :?
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.

Return to “Other Makes/Models”