Mugen Manx

The place for all things Mugen.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Lonestar
Approved Member

Re: Mugen Manx

Post by Lonestar »

Phin wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 9:28 am
Mr. ED wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 4:04 pm I'm not sure, but the Ishipla Monster might be another one in the list. Graupner Pinto for sure.
Nah, I wouldn't classify the Ishipla Monster as a clone. Ishipla borrowed elements from other cars but put them together to make their own unique design. Front arms from a Grasshopper mated to an Ayk Buffalo rear end with Scorpion shock towers. Also had some class threaded shocks and other aluminum bits instead of just the fantastic plastic. :wink:

Also the Pinto was Graupner doing European sales for Panda's other Grasshopper clone: "The Panda"...which got "improved" with a ball joint rear suspension. You could also get The Panda with a Monte Carlo body as the Stocker or a truck body as the Danny Thompson Stadium Racer.
From my recollection, the Panda danny stocker/stadium had proper 4-wheel independend suspension... and were IC with a pull-start.

Was it really related to the graupner pinto/stadium? (which does look like a GH clone indeed)

AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I see your point regarding the monster. I was just going by memory and it was vague ;)
The optima on the other hand, I don't feel like it was cloned so often.
Edit: I somehow missed the above post before posting my reply. Do you have some pictures or names?
Mrc (the french company) used very optima like suspemsion, but was no optima clone since the drivetrain seemed more shumacher cat inspired in construction.
Any other clones of the hornet grasshopper that come to mind? Maybe the traxxas cat or marui coors? ( I left those out originally as I'm even hazier on them)

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

In more recent times it was tamiya again which inspired lots of clones: I forgot the original name but now it's called the plasma edge.
And the baja king was a popular role model too.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Lonestar wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 9:49 am From my recollection, the Panda danny stocker/stadium had proper 4-wheel independend suspension... and were IC with a pull-start.

[img]

Was it really related to the graupner pinto/stadium? (which does look like a GH clone indeed)

[img]
There was both electric and gas versions of the Panda Stocker and Stadium Racer. The gas version being a Kyosho Rampage clone.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

The Nitro version is so goofy too. I have one. The rear gearbox is a modified front Hotshot gearbox. It's about 3 foot wide too. Looks crazy.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Mr. ED wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 1:57 pm Any other clones of the hornet grasshopper that come to mind? Maybe the traxxas cat or marui coors? ( I left those out originally as I'm even hazier on them)
Coors was the stock car version of Marui's Ninja so not a GH clone.

Traxxas Cat is close to a clone but had a Wild One trailing arm front suspension. Radio Shack Red/Golden Arrows would were like that too. Monogram Lightning/Thunder (Yonezawa Wave Hunter) were an even worse versions of that set-up.

Tyco Turbo Hopper would be another GH clone.

The Fox and Hot Shot also had some clones out there. Who can forget the Royal Ripper. Kyosho can't throw too many stones either since they made Shadow/Aerostreak.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Which came first: Kyosho icarus or tamiya falcon?

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Phin wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 3:41 pm
Mr. ED wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 1:57 pm Any other clones of the hornet grasshopper that come to mind? Maybe the traxxas cat or marui coors? ( I left those out originally as I'm even hazier on them)
Who can forget the Royal Ripper.
I'll never forget that one, that goes back to the days when I worked in a hobby store. We called it the "Royal Ripoff" as I'm sure many others did. :lol:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

Mr. ED wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 3:45 pm Which came first: Kyosho icarus or tamiya falcon?
I always thought it was the Falcon but according to RCScrapyard.net, and a couple of other sites, it was the Icarus that came first.

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Phin wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 3:23 pm There was both electric and gas versions of the Panda Stocker and Stadium Racer. The gas version being a Kyosho Rampage clone.
Didn't know that - the electric versions never made it to our shores :shock:

(probably better like that :mrgreen: )

Thanks!
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

trkneller
Approved Member

Post by trkneller »

Another Grasshopper clone was the World Engines Rockbuster. A friend had that one and I remember it being advertised in RCCA from Indy RC, or something, all the time.

hibernaculum
Approved Member

Post by hibernaculum »

Phin wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 3:41 pm Coors was the stock car version of Marui's Ninja so not a GH clone.
Traxxas Cat is close to a clone but had a Wild One trailing arm front suspension. Radio Shack Red/Golden Arrows would were like that too. Monogram Lightning/Thunder (Yonezawa Wave Hunter) were an even worse versions of that set-up.
Just a small correction. There is no such car as the "Yonezawa Wave Hunter".
What you are referring to is the Yonezawa Land Dash, or it's sister car, the Missiler.
Phin wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 3:41 pm Tyco Turbo Hopper would be another GH clone. The Fox and Hot Shot also had some clones out there. Who can forget the Royal Ripper. Kyosho can't throw too many stones either since they made Shadow/Aerostreak.
And I think the term "clone" is used too loosely here... A clone is more like a part-for-part reproduction of a car, by a different company.
The Tyco Turbo Hopper is not a "clone" of the Tamiya Grasshopper, but it was definitely inspired by the Grasshopper. Ditto many of the others mentioned - ideas were stolen, cars were released that mimicked other cars. The Royal Ripper is a good example of this.

But a "clone" is an actual reproduction. ie. When a sheep is cloned, it has the same DNA.

And when it comes to clones, there were actual Chinese clones of Tamiya kits like the Fox and the Supershot, in which basically every part was made to replicate the original, but by a different company. Entire kits were reverse-engineered, which is quite amazing. The Supershot clone even had the original Tamiya box art on the box, but no Tamiya logo. Inside, there was no Technipower motor. But all parts were an attempt to reproduce the original, with lesser materials.

hibernaculum
Approved Member

Post by hibernaculum »

tamiyadan wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 11:24 pm Icarus was first,, well it was part of a series:
Icarus, Pegasus, cosmo
which came over as the COX bandito
this was all in 1984
the falcon was out in 1986
Actually, the Icarus and Pegasus were 1985. The Cosmo I think was a year later, or so, as it does not even appear in the 1985 Kyosho catalogue.
tamiyadan wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 11:24 pm Tandy(radio shack) also sucked in a bunch of radio control cars that were either clones or rebrands. a notable was a short lived tamiya bruiser clone which was all plastic and not metal.... now back in 1986 it was a god sent for parts since tamiya enjoyed giving the customers the middle finger for parts support(they still do) MRC stopped that one ASAP,
Again, the term "clones" is being used somewhat loosely (incorrectly), imho. Those cars from Tandy / Radio Shack were not clones of anything. All were authorised rebrandings of cars made by other companies - such as Nikko. Nikko would present Radio Shack with a model they had in their domestic Japanese market, and Radio Shack executives would place an order with Nikko for a "Radio Shack" branded edition of that car, for release in any markets with Tandy/Radio Shack stores.

The Radio Shack truck that you say is a "bruiser clone" had zero parts in common with the Bruiser... (I mean, if anything could be transplanted, then great, but it certainly wasn't designed to!). It was clearly inspired by the Bruiser, and was made by Nikko, and was designed to offer something looking like a Bruiser, that was ready to run. It's called the Malibu 4x4 Off Roader.

Much like the earlier Nikko release - the Nikko Toyota Hilux 4WD, was designed to offer an RTR option of something like a Tamiya Toyota 4x4 Pickup.
https://rctoymemories.com/2014/06/28/nikko-toyota-hilux-4wd-1982/

This car even features remote gear shift (2 speed), which was remarkable for a ready to run R/C vehicle in 1982.