What metric cars use b4 slipper pads?

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

rccars4sal
Approved Member

What metric cars use b4 slipper pads?

Post by rccars4sal »

Hi guys. Im trying to fab up a slipper clutch for a Kyosho Lazer. I think its possible to use the B4 spur type, with the hex shaped slipper pads. I would like to find spur gears in metric size, meaning the center hole in a metric size. This way its possible to fit a metric size bearing with a 4mm center to fit snug on the lazer main shaft.

Seems like some other car manufacturers have adopted the b4 slipper configuration,, but where do i shop for specifically metric variants?

GoMachV
Approved Member

Re: What metric cars use b4 slipper pads?

Post by GoMachV »

I personally would use the Kyosho gears from an Ultima - If you were willing to use kyosho pads that is. That way you keep it all inbred :lol:
Attachments
IMG_5256.JPG
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

If the slipper pads are fairly small diameter that would be fine. Reason is, the slipper friction area for original zxr clutch is small, like 25mm diameter. If I was to use the ball diff plates from a zx clutch hub, then the diameter grows, perhaps 4 or 6mm, so still pretty small. Im trying to use slipper plates from lazer, because I have a small pile of them, and they key into the lazer belt pullies.

I might be able to machine a hyper clutch too,, but sourcing spurs and pads would be easier!

So,

alien3t
Approved Member

Post by alien3t »

Associated b5 ad t5 and sc5 ad b6 use the same v2 slipper. and v1 slipper pads and spur as the b4.

but there is a member on oople that makes a top shoft for the lazer to bolt up one.

aip47-2008
Approved Member

Post by aip47-2008 »

RW racing made these for use with the B4 slipper pads! A project James Instone started. Welshy40 on here I believe. :)
Attachments
2262.JPG

rccars4sal
Approved Member

Post by rccars4sal »

Ah, yes, Welshy and Alcyone have both made solutions to the lazer clutch dilema. Im going about it slightly different. Hoping to use stock lazer rear drive hub. I can use either zx hub which takes a seperate ring, or zxr hub, which has less area then zx, but is 1 pc. Really, the only issue is finding a gear and pads. It might be possible to ream out a b4 gear to accept a metric bearing, but that introduces alot of chance for off center mistakes, and a ruined gear.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Double check before buying but i think yokomo bmax2, maybe lrp twister too, mad rat, ...forgot the brand.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

if all you need to do is ream out a b4 gear for a metric bearing to get you going, it would be super simple to do. Get the metric ream, and a small piece of drill stock that fits the existing hole (3/16"?). Stick the piece of drill rod in a drill press and bring it down to the gear on the platform, and align the gear to it(put the drill rod through the hole. then clamp the gear in place, either a flat clamp or something similar. Then swap the drill rod for the reamer and pass it through the gear. make sure the platform is clamped tight to the drill press column and the vise/clamp/etc is firmly attached, and it will ream out the hole true.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Axial spur perhaps.