TAG/SG Coyote

The place for all things TAG/SG.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GoMachV
Approved Member

Re: TAG/SG Coyote

Post by GoMachV »

I started drawing up the tall towers from the Pro and drew a stock chassis in the hopes of one day getting around to building something cool. Those pics are very inspirational!
Attachments
IMG_7588.JPG
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Yeah they do look pretty cool.

I kind of like the low shocker angle of the original Coyote.... will most likely stick with that but will modify a few other things for sure. I'm quite looking forward to it in fact :D
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

dinglem wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:11 pm Yeah they do look pretty cool.

I kind of like the low shocker angle of the original Coyote.... will most likely stick with that but will modify a few other things for sure. I'm quite looking forward to it in fact :D
So it's not just your dad who likes thinkering. Cool.
Curious what you will come up with.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Well the kit finally arrived this morning - well chuffed.

I would just like to thank 'clinehobbies' for the sale and sending it over to me so quickly - very well packaged.

The first thing to do was strip the front and rear gearboxes, whilst holding my breath, to check whether i was lucky enough to have the hardened internal gears or not....

FRONT
front gearbox.jpg
REAR
rear gearbox.jpg

The front is very well greased but is definitely metal (double-checked with a magnet), so it looks like I have the much required hardened steel versions at both ends. Couldn't be happier about that 8)
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

1300GT
Approved Member

Post by 1300GT »

That's good news about the diff gears.

Does the front diff have a brass sleeve like the rear diff?
Chris.

Toys.............they are!

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Doesn't look like it, unless it is elsewhere in the box. The front gearbox came in a bunch of spares included in the box with the kit, so it could be loose in there. I will have a look tomorrow and revert. I should imagine my father will be able to knock one up in no time if needed, in fact he would probably enjoy it! :lol:

He used to turn up alloy wheels for my race cars bitd so it's kind of one of his 'things'....

The other thing is that the main drive shaft looks well pish. Almost has a corroded finish to it, and seems thinner in a couple of places. It's not an issue as i was planning on swapping that out and upgrading it anyway, but i just thought i'd mention it.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Been a while, but a bit of an update on the Coyote.... it is entered in a vintage meeting in January so it is now full steam ahead with the build.

First off we have solved the flexing vertical chassis plate issue by swapping out the original metal items with fairly thick carbon fibre sheets. We have recessed the areas where the diffs and inner chassis parts meet up to the chassis to retain the original width (the carbon sheets being 2mm thicker than the original metal items).

The front and rear diffs have been fully stripped, cleaned and rebuilt - both are the hardened steel versions.
23193061_485905358462206_467004299_n.jpg
Next up, we have tried to address the pish main central drive shaft issue. This seems to have degraded in the kit box itself over time, and was very very corroded. We have measured up the outer diameter of the diff cups and sourced a carbon fibre tube which snugly slides over them. Two hardened steel pins have been added to engage the usual drive slots and the whole lot now fits together perfectly and spins very smoothly indeed.
23146396_486320518420690_2018822060_n.jpg
More to follow as it all goes together, but here's a quick mock-up so far.
23201867_486644285054980_1643173419_n.jpg
23226938_486644291721646_2128595719_n.jpg

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Looking good! Do you have towers drawn up for it yet? I drew the towers for the Tag Pro 10 which was a continuation of this design. Your welcome to the cad files if you want them

Basically these- stolen from another site
AF6A5CED-37FC-4BDA-8959-E3B4F641BE9C.jpeg
3C14644C-1558-41EE-93EE-1BEFC403AAFF.jpeg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Thanks for the offer.... i think we're going to stick with the lay down design, initially at least. We'll improve them slightly but see how they work out. Lots to do yet though.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

That’s the area I would worry about most :wink: we always ripped the ball studs out of the upper as they are so shallow. Be an easy rework tho
Factory Works website

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

nice job with the carbon tube idea! before you are all done 'permanently' assembling the car, add a small section of heat shrink tube over each end over the pin, to prevent it from walking out and ruining the tube. trick used on older cvd's to keep the pin captive.

1300GT
Approved Member

Post by 1300GT »

Looks great in carbon. 8)
Chris.

Toys.............they are!

naushad
Approved Member

Post by naushad »

Looks great so far - especially that you plan to run it competitively...what plans do you have for the nicads?

Will be following.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Basic plan for the Lipo conversion is to use a saddle pack layout - the huge strength added by the vertical cf plates means we can cut some of the sides away (bridge) and we will then make a more traditional saddle pack-esq chassis plate to rest the cells, electronics on. The cells can then nestle right up to the central drive shaft on either side. That's next on the list anyway. Not entirely sure how it will all fit at this stage but that is part of the fun. Lipo saddle pack is on order so will arrive in the next few days do we can mock it up and then make it happen :)

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Bit like this....
23283545_487336641652411_861724836_n.jpg