AYK Pro Radiant

The place for all things AYK.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Re: AYK Pro Radiant

Post by klavy69 »

oooh, white goodness 8)

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

You've got to run them to snap them or at least try to overtighten the pinion gear so I don't think thats gonna be a issue :wink:

Not a shot at you dinglem, just a vote of confidence in your abilities to put a pinion gear on and from your past posts you don't really run your stuff too hard before retirement to the shelf :mrgreen:

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Haha... yeah, that appears to be true! Coincidentally I was getting pictures of some of my motors today, i mean the ones i used each season towards the end of my racing days and daaaaym they look brand new!

These two pink edition MG Red Dots lasted the whole of the '93 stock race season for example.

18471273_408444496208293_1356191730_n.jpg
I purchased the ceramic armature jobbie basically just to go with the Pro Radiant build. It won't get run. I have a couple of other Race Prep-esq orange endbell motors which i won't mind actually running; a pair of SRM Scorchers which were essentially just re-labelled Race Prep stamped motors for the UK market, and one of which i had when i was racing in my earlier days, so that is perfect as it has a link to me.

I also just noticed today that the pair of older white edition MG Red Dots I have from the '89 season are actually also AYK items. The endbells have AYK Racing stamped around the centre. I've never really seen any other red endbells before, but i could also always use one of those too.

18449924_408447629541313_656908077_n.jpg
I am quite liking the tie to my old MG sponsored racing days so was trying to work out which motors to mount in each build i am working on (I am making the classic error of working on many at the same time) which is why i was taking pictures of them all to gauge condition, colours etc.... MG also adopted the ceramic armatures from Race Prep as well, so that was another reason why i jumped at that armature. In fact the seller threw in the can and endbell as a freebie after i said i would have the armature itself and told him what it was going in. I was intending putting it into an MG modified can which I have here.

But going back to klavy69's point - i think it was my dad who was pretty clinical with all of my equipment. I just used to drive and he constructed our pit box, did all the car building, mods and preparation. He even charged all of the batteries and sorted the cars out on race day. I guess he was funding it all too so it was kind of all his gear anyway! But yeah - i am thankful now, as everyting i have has been carefully and properly stored away and well cared for.

So now i have the correct saddle pack chassis and a suitable motor choice for the car it is pretty much build time.... the chassis was the missing piece of the jigsaw really.
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Latest find is a pair of original battery straps for the Race Prep saddle pack chassis, and a spare rear bumper/guard which has been highly polished. Using that to race will mean I won't get too precious about using and marking up that mint and iconic gold original.
image.jpg
image.jpg
CAT SWB&XL, Meteor (x3), RC10 custom, RC10 Graphite, Goldpan, 870c (x2), Works 91, Samurai, Pro Radiant (x2), Mini Mustang&Maxima, Mid Turbo, TOP Hybrid , Coyote, Hot Trick Optima, Supercharge, Brimod, 'Rory Cull' Hotshot, SRB.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

So i took it upon myself to start building.... i got sent away on a work project so took the Pro Radiant kit with me and have started opening it all up and putting it together. Pretty exciting. I intended spending a good few weeks doing a little bit each day.

Two days later and it was pretty much together though!!!

This thing is a gorgeous looking piece of kit. Such a simple design - i absolutely love it. I wanted to go with Associated shockers because that is what i used bitd along with Option House, so i kept the original AYK shockers in their respective packets. The front Associated ones i got hold of are a little short though, so i need to switch out the pistons for some slightly longer variants to increase the front ride height a little. As a first loose build up it is wicked though. Well pleased.

Sorry for the photo overload but it seems very photogenic!

1s.jpg
2s.jpg
2as.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8s.jpg
9.jpg

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

There's more!
10s.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15s.jpg

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

That's looking rather special , love the tyres as well ,are they the original tyres ?
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

Yes, they are the original kit tyres. I have the gold rims as well, but prefer the look of the black version.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I'm not too keen on the gold either but you mentioned they go for £300 a set :shock: if I had some I recon they would grow on me :D .
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

I have retained the original gold wheels, the Pro Radiant body shell, front and rear shocks and the gold rear crash-guard plate thingie, and have instead used other items. I sourced the polished rear guard a while back as posted. I much prefer the look of the orange-gold Associated shockers and they are what i am used to, so they have gone on as well. The Pro Radiant shell doesn't fit with the optional saddle pack chassis, so i will be going for a repro Boost shell as they are available on eBay. So all of the rare valuable stuff will get stashed away. Everything seems scarce for these.

There is a pair of the TG44 rear tyres on the Bay right now which work out at about 60pounds including shipping :shock:

I have already found alternative replacement chains and drive shafts/stub axles should i need them, so those areas are covered for the purpose of running it. It is spares such as the diffs and chain drive gears i will be hunting for now.

As per my other cars we will turn up a set of alloy wheels for this which should really set it off.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Really nice car; clean and simple!! We had one racer bitd who ran AYK and was very competitive with them. I tend to think stuff is rare when I can only remember one. Generally speaking, I think off-road RC was a very crowded market back then so it was tough to break through. :|
Doug

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

I only really knew of the Dunn brothers who raced these consistently in the late 80's and early 90's and it was their success at a very high level which seems to have given the Pro Radiant a bit of a cult following. Not too many made it over to the UK though. I don't know why though as i think they are a stunning looking buggy. The TOP Models team ran them for a while, and i did see them at some of the Radio Race Car series events back then. Never at club level though. I always wanted one, but never thought i would eventually find a NIB kit!

TRX-1-3
Approved Member

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Four wheel roost at WOT! I'd be tempted to put the gold wheels on it, but the black wheels look pretty rad.
Hope you're doin' something fun.

dinglem
Approved Member

Post by dinglem »

TRX-1-3 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:29 am Four wheel roost at WOT! I'd be tempted to put the gold wheels on it, but the black wheels look pretty rad.
Our alloys will look better ;-)