New to me RC10's, could use advice

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

ofnaman
Approved Member

New to me RC10's, could use advice

Post by ofnaman »

Hello all. Been on here a lot, finally decided to join. I've been a longtime fan of the original rc10's, and now I finally own a few of my own. I've been looking at the re releases for a while, and as soon as funds allow, I'll be picking up a worlds edition (one of my local hobby shops actually still has one in stock). I actually had the cash to buy it, but stopped by another hobby shop and started talking to the owner. Turns out, he had 4 of the original gold pans in his garage and they were for sale. Long story short, I now own 4 gold pans, and the re release will have to wait.....

So, got them home and started figuring out what I bought. I read the entire 25 year history posted here and I think I have a decent idea of what they all are. Three of the cars are A stamps, one is a B stamp. I'll start with the one B stamp. I believe it's a champion edition, this was the only one that did not have a box with it. It has the updated front a arms, updated shock towers, bulkhead, top loader shocks with black plastic caps, 6 gear trans. This was the best "used" car I got, so I completely disassembled it and started turning it into a car I intend to race at out track in the "box stock" class.

Next up is the Edinger car. Kind of upset over this one, as the previous owner cut it up pretty badly, and it has a lot of dyed parts on it. It was the worst car in the bunch. The box however was the best condition of the three boxes I have. One of the other A stamp cars I have is in pretty poor shape as well. It was heavily used on asphalt. Chassis is really scratched up and the car is not in very good shape either. It came with a Cadillac box, so I figure it's a run of the mill Cadillac car. I was planning on combining these two and making one basher out of them.

The last A stamp is what I need advice on what to do with. It was the hobby shop owners personal car. I believe it is a later edition "original" Cadillac car. I know the hobby shop guy pretty good and he is honest with me. He told me he assembled the car and put it back in the box. Never ran. Never had power hooked to the motor, the motor is the only electronic item that came with it. It is a mostly complete car, he said his daughter got into the box and lost the non attached items in it, ie, the body, wing mounts and parts that were not mounted (like the servo mounts, antenna holder and battery holders. The rest of the car is there along with the front swingarm. It has the original 4 rib associated labeled tires on the front and the associated labeled knobbies on the rear and they are in mint condition. At some point water got to some of the bolts and started rusting them a little, which I think can be cleaned up. The car is very dirty from sitting in a garage for years, so I was planning on a teardown and clean. One thing I noticed is the anodizing on this car is very poor when compared to the other rc10's I got. I am not sure what to do with this one, I don't want a shelf queen, but I don't want to destroy a car by using it that someone would be very thrilled to get. I did order some re release battery hold downs, wing mount and I am going to order a re release body for it as well. Just not sure what to do with it after that? Sell it or keep it and run the crap out of it? The box that came with this car is in very poor shape.
Reno NV

ofnaman
Approved Member

Re: New to me RC10's, could use advice

Post by ofnaman »

B stamp car. After tear down and reassemble, this car was very very very dirty. I was rebuilding the shocks when I took this pic, so they are not shown.
Attachments
b2.jpg
b1.jpg
Reno NV

ofnaman
Approved Member

Post by ofnaman »

Edinger car, The front plate is a little lighter than the other parts on the car.
Attachments
e5.jpg
e4.jpg
e3.jpg
e2.jpg
e1.jpg
Reno NV

ofnaman
Approved Member

Post by ofnaman »

The bashed A stamp. I used the front shock tower off of this one to replace the broken one on the b stamp car. This one also only came with front bottom load shocks on it. No rears. This one also has aftermarket front arms on it. Not sure exactly what brand they are.
Attachments
crappy a3.jpg
crappy a2.jpg
crappy a1.jpg
Reno NV

ofnaman
Approved Member

Post by ofnaman »

The unused A stamp car. Havent had a chance to clean it up yet.
Attachments
m5.jpg
m3.jpg
m4.jpg
m2.jpg
m 1.jpg
Reno NV

ofnaman
Approved Member

Post by ofnaman »

Poor anodizing on the unused car. Those are not scratches or rub marks. The anodizing on this car in general looks different than the others, like it is not as "thick" of a finish as the others. The ae stamp on the front plate is also not as refined as the others. I'm assuming this car was manufactured on a Monday......
Attachments
m7.jpg
m6.jpg
Reno NV

JK Racing
Approved Member

Post by JK Racing »

The 'aftermarket' arms appear to be stock Kyosho Ultima arms.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

Bottom Feeder
Approved Member

Post by Bottom Feeder »

Don't worry about originality and correctness. RC10s were very rarely kept in as-bought and as-built shape. These things were used and abused. They were upgraded and repaired. But they were also 'upgraded' with questionable parts and 'repaired' by people who had questionable skill. Sure, getting an all-original one is nice, but it's the exception.

Personally, I'd use the worst one for parts to get the other two used ones going to run, make that clean one complete and sell it, sell the leftover parts cheap after cleaning them up to recoup some of your expenses. But that's just me.

Also, original boxes are just gravy. Don't get hung up on them like you appear to be.

ofnaman
Approved Member

Post by ofnaman »

Not hung up on the boxes. Just seems like everyone I talk to about them is.... I really don't care too much about originality either, I just want to get them out and use them. The only one I've been worried about is the unused one. I just don't want to hurt the value of it. I think I'm just going to go with my original idea and clean it up, I'll also try to "unyellow" the plastic (been watching videos on this) and sell it. Not much use to me sitting around. I have quite a few rc's, but they all get used from time to time.
Reno NV

pj81

Post by pj81 »

Great score! I did the peroxide whitening a few years back and it worked a little too well and gave a very "un-vintage" looking bright white, just a heads up :D was most likely a user error :lol:

ofnaman
Approved Member

Post by ofnaman »

Thank you. Couldn't pass these up for what I paid for them. I may end up just holding onto the unused one for a while. I may be able to use it for trade leverage at a later date.... As far as the others go, I don't think I've ever been as excited to mess around with rc cars as with these. Already thinking of doing something a bit different with the cut up one. Time will tell.....
Reno NV

ofnaman
Approved Member

Post by ofnaman »

I completely disassembled the unused A stamp tonight. Definitely has never been run. Was it common for rear axles to not have a wheel pin hole in them? One of these had it, the other didn't. Wheel was just bolted on the axle. Would have just spun the axle in it if power was ever applied. Also, how do the three piece wheels come apart? I unbolted them, but they were kind of stuck together. I didn't want to break them so I set them aside until I got a little more info. The car was definately not put together correctly. It literally would have fallen apart if ever driven. The front axle e clips were not there, axles just pulled out. That was just the beginning......
Reno NV

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

If you keep the cut down chassis, radius the areas that were cut. that sharp 90 degree angle will be the spot where the chassis cracks, or bends. Look up other milled and cut down chassis' to see what I mean.

ofnaman
Approved Member

Post by ofnaman »

I think I'm going to combine the two trashy ones into one. I'll use the uncut chassis. Thinking I'll use rpm arms on it as well. I'll run an old 14 turn brushed motor, or the reedy brushless system out of my b4.1 in it. Just for a basher car, maybe a car to run in the sportsman mod class as well. Planning on setting it up just like the b stamp car, it'll just be faster.
Reno NV

ofnaman
Approved Member

Post by ofnaman »

I also looked over the edinger car good last night. I don't think there is much left of the original car anyway. Not really worth salvaging any of it.
Reno NV