Updating vintage dirt oval RC10

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

CoalTrain

Updating vintage dirt oval RC10

Post by CoalTrain »

I just pulled my old DO car out to run this winter on my local carpet track and want to update my wheels/tires. I want to run CW or TM 2.0 foams but I'm not 100% sure what I need to convert it. I already have a set of 3/16 MIP CVD's so I think I only need to get a set of 3/16 x 3/8 flanged bearings for the rear hubs and 3/16 x 3/8 unflanged for the front wheels. Here are a few pics.

matthew john
Banned Member

Re: Updating vintage dirt oval RC10

Post by matthew john »

where'd all the gold go??!!! nice ride though
"your attitude in general and had robbed you of any credibility in my opinion. honesty costs nothing by the way."
a quote from Bormac. i think he's rite.

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

Very nice! I just finished installing a McAllister lowering kit on my project. It just gives these cars a perfect stance for carpet.

I'm currently in the same situation as you with wheels and tires. One option is to purchase a pair of 3/16" rear adapters to mount pan car wheels. Team Cobra, Dynotech and R.D. Enterprises make aluminum adapters. R.D. also makes several sizes of aluminum wheels.

CoalTrain

Post by CoalTrain »

You should have seen the chassis before I sanded it, this was my original chassis from 1985!!!! not in very good shape. I think I solved my wheel/tire problem, 1/10 pan car wheels/tires fit fine on the front and I have enough stock(10+) pairs of rear rims to keep it going for a while I just need to buy donuts and true them to the right size. I also found these adaptors in my tool box that I used to use to run Kyosho wheels on the rear of my rc10, they work with TC wheels but takes the width down from 9 1/2 to 8 7/8.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

Coal Train,
If you decide to go to a modern 2.0 D.O. style wheel setup here is what I do on my sportsman mod cars. it's a custom works rear hub carrier, and I mill off the outermost shock mounting hole on the A-arm. I follow that up with a .125 wheel spacer which is also available from custom works. as far as foam goes, I'm a big fan of the www.RC4LESS.com wheels/tires.

olderacer
Approved Member

Post by olderacer »

we have a class of oval rc10's at our local dirtoval and we all do the same as what pbr has pictured. and at least half of us (myself included) use the rc4less wheels/tires. they are tall however so for carpet you may want them trued down.
an ideal width would be 9" +or- 1/8". most latemodel or camaro/mustang/challenger type bodies made for the dirtoval cars are 9" wide if you're going for those type bodies.

CoalTrain

Post by CoalTrain »

If I run the CW hubs and wheel spacer do I need to use the MIP 3/16 rear axle? What do I need to do to the front end to get it under 9", are the DO rims/tires a different offset? I was just looking at late model bodies and they are all 9" or less wide and I'm at 9 1/2 Fr/Rr right now.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

coaltrain,

with dirtoval tires you're going to wind up at 9-1/2 front and 9 rear with the spacers. the only way to get narrow in the front end is to use early arms. Personally I would just opt to run a 10" wide body on the car, there are lots of options, the concord from factory works is my favorite as far as downforce, but you can also us the custom works eldora, the mcallister bakersfield or vegas bodies, or lastly the C&M body.

with the wheel spacers you do need the 3/16" axles.

Rustbucket
Approved Member

Post by Rustbucket »

HELLO This is Don the old rustbucket. OK I am looking over the RC oval buggie. OK I am in the process buiding one with all of parts. BUT I have one questioin. what body did you use. I wouild like to use the Buggie body but I have a feeling it wont fit. So what do you use the turck body??
I have set up one GOLD Pan all ready and use it this year and she ran good I use the silver step pins truck tires and rims and it handled good.
It look more like the losi slider . SO I AM TAKING ONE OF MY OTHERS and doing the reg oval by useing my parts .
This one I will use the reg buggie tires.
Thanks DON

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

Don,
What body style are you looking to use? Do you want a buggy, an Eastern Modified, a sprint car, a late model dirt car, or some other type of stock car? McAllister Racing should have you covered on the last three. Custom Works has a lot of nice bodies as well. Associated used to make a couple sprint car bodies that fit right over the RC10 tub chassis, but I think they are no more :(

There was an article in RC Car Action in the early 90s where the author took a Team Car and converted it into an oval buggy. He kept the buggy body but added a large supermodified/sprint car type wing to the top. The wing was even hinged and spring-loaded to change downforce with the speed of the car. When it was slammed low, with the white dish wheels and Pro-Line Strikers, it looked really awesome. I will try and find the article.

Rustbucket
Approved Member

Post by Rustbucket »

HELLO Steve. Thank you the advice. I do remember those bodys your talking about that Assocated put out . I wish I could fine one.
With that sprint body the guys that did it put a large flat wing on them as well . That body was a full body as I last remember,

Ok what I finely done tonight after I got it done and it looks like
the one that is on this sight . I went back to that one many times tonight as I was building mind. So I say thank you to the one for posting the pictures. Those help me all along all of the way. Those picturs was a big help for sure to me tonight. May not been able to get it done with it .

OK get back to what I was talking about , After I got it done I took my Buggie body cut down the front body some, Redrill for a new front body mont use the reg back ones for the rear and everthing work out fine Even use my wing.

NOW If you can tell me how to post pictures on this sight I would be more then happy to share it with you and others.

I just wish our Dirt oval track was still open BUT With it being an our side track ( Daves rc tacks ) and last weeken was the last race for season so now I just have to wait untill next season to try it out. I can play with it out in the street but it nothing like the dirt oval ;-(( ..

Thank you again for the fast information . ONE thing about this board
we all try to help each other as quicky as we can.
DON That Portland Rustbucket

olderacer
Approved Member

Post by olderacer »

bolink also made sprint car bodies that fit the rc10 tub.
bolink is back in business under new ownership, but i'm not sure if the sprint bodies are still available.
i shall do some searching today and post what i find.
mccallister also makes eastern dirt modified bodies that will fit rc10 tubs.

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

Rustbucket wrote: NOW If you can tell me how to post pictures on this sight I would be more then happy to share it with you and others.
Go to www.photobucket.com and open a free account, then upload your photos there. They give you the coded URL to post images on message boards.

Rustbucket
Approved Member

Post by Rustbucket »

GOOD MORNING TO ya . Bolink now that is one word I have not heard in many years. I even still have one of the old 12th scale pan cars that they use to put out. The last thing I had heard they were no longer around. Went by by many years ago.
I use to pick up a lot of bodys that they use to do . I would like to replace my 32 ford Roadster body that I still have to this day but it has the miles on it. YES I would be very intrested if you fine any infromation on them.
Thank you DON

olderacer
Approved Member

Post by olderacer »

http://www.windtunnelracingproducts.com has the bolink sprint car body that fits the rc10. as well as some of the other old bolink molds including the dirt latemodels.
http://www.bolink.com has many of the older full fender bodies. as well as some of the old bolink molds. including part#BL2383 '32 Street Rod. I'm not sure if that's the 1 you're looking for.
both sites have shopping carts.
i hope this helps you and anyone else looking for older non offroad bodies.