Jammin Jays 4WD Prototype RC10

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Vintagemishal
Approved Member

Re: Jammin Jays 4WD Prototype RC10

Post by Vintagemishal »

I think I see where the confusion is on Dionne finishing 3rd. Looks like Dionne finished 3rd in Stock and Soderquist finished 3rd in Modified?

prp
Approved Member

Post by prp »

It's not this N°9 , what i speak, it's the 4wd on the cover...

prp
Approved Member

Post by prp »

I search a really good scan in high resolution of this article pic:

Thanks for the help.

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

prp wrote:Any one can help , for the scan ???

try this thread:
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=6769&hilit=1985+ifmar+poster

the pictures are nicely scanned and in color. try giving him a pm to see if he still has the scans. i'll see if i could find them myself. i'll send them over if i do.

vsefiream
Approved Member

Post by vsefiream »

Is there any interest in a 4wd kit similar to MIP's? I have a few ideas and I may be close to puting something together using a low COG belt drive setup using current readily available parts. I'll put out a more formal post once I have a prototype.
Just a feeler...

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

vsefiream wrote:Is there any interest in a 4wd kit similar to MIP's? I have a few ideas and I may be close to puting something together using a low COG belt drive setup using current readily available parts. I'll put out a more formal post once I have a prototype.
Just a feeler...
There'd be lots of interest...until you told us how much it'd cost....then there'd may be less interest. :|

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

vsefiream wrote:Is there any interest in a 4wd kit similar to MIP's? I have a few ideas and I may be close to puting something together using a low COG belt drive setup using current readily available parts. I'll put out a more formal post once I have a prototype.
Just a feeler...
I doubt it would get much interest unless it's a body-double of the MIP.
Beside the price , mostof the runners want the original designs, and shelfers in general take absolutely no interest in anything that wasn't around in those days.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Exactly. I build out of period correct pieces, so if those pieces weren't around bitd it wouldn't be something I would personally want. I have 4 losi's that I can't put together cause I refuse to use the wrong screws.

That being said, that is my opinion and others will differ
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

vsefiream
Approved Member

Post by vsefiream »

Thanks for the opinions guys. The design I am working on will be very similar to MIP's but just a single diff assembly in the front, not a gearbox. it would be too expensive to fab a gearbox.
I am in the process of turning over a few of my goldpans for sale on ebay to bring in a little working cash. Then, a small shopping spree for the parts.
This kit will in no way please the purists. It's more of a way to make a reliable 4wd kit using common modern parts from other donor cars. I am doing this mostly for my own satisfaction and I may just post a parts list. Not looking to make money here, just have some fun.
What really started this was looking for an MIP kit and seeing what people want for them, wow!
Give me a couple weeks and I figure I should have something in the works. Officially setting a goal to be completed by Christmas

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

go ahead: I wasn't trying to discourage your project ; just sharing my opinion about the general (buying) interest from others.

Taking out the front top gear will put you up against 2 challenges: getting the rotation center for the front diff the same as for the rear, and getting the RPM the same for both... I think it's do-able if you put a small rear pulley on the topshaft and not on the idler. Or am I talking non-sense?
EDIT: another added callenge is to bring the pulley part of the diff in line with the rear pulley.

Or are you thinking along the lines of the optima design: belt running over front and back diff?

Dynodn

Post by Dynodn »

A few years ago I started driving again with my son. I told him that I knew Jay and Gil. He knew about them but never met them. So at a show we were at for my shop Jay was there and I introduced him. He is still a great guy like he was in his younger days. So the other day I ran across this thread and I thought I would share some light about the 4WD Proto RC 10.

I was the guy who made the proto in his garage. I knew a guy at Associated that did the body painting at the time. He was able to get me 2 RC 10 as soon as they were available. So one I kept stock and the other I made into a 4WD.

Task # 1
Getting power to the front

So the project began! I thought about how do I get the power to the front end. At that time we had chain and belt drive cars And a few shaft drive cars. The belt cars were plauged with dirt in the pulleys. And getting a belt that was pliable in small quanities was impossible. The shaft cars would take a complete redesign of the RC 10 NOt an option. And I wanted a bolt on kit with few new parts

So I had a Yokomo dog fighter and that is where the chain came from. Since the chain was pressed together links it was a great choice. All i had to do is buy 2 chains mod to make the right length.

Task # 2

Now that I had figure out a way to get the power from the trans to the chaim. After looking at it I thought of a few ways. But again it was modding the trans too much. So I figured out the ratio of the inner trans and found a pinion that I could mate to the stock spur gear . That would be on a shaft and mate to a stock Yokomo plastic sprocket on thetop of the trans. A few blocks and bearings and shaft got mounted to the top of the trans stock plate.

Task # 3

Chain guiding.

Since I had some limited resources I had to guide the chain to the fromt. I had to notch the tower for the chain no prob. Next was guiding the chain to the front of the car! So I scewed a block to the tower and attached the Yokomo chain guide to it. Trimmed off the excess plastic and had a block in the front of the car to secure it too.

Task # 4 chain sprocket

Since the Yokomo had a single sprocket in the front it was small so it was a easy mod to make fit. I made a block to hold the bearings and outdrives and drilled a few holes to mount it through the bottom. I installed the chain and thrw my battery pack in and it came to life. I had power to the front of the car!!

Task # 5

Transmitting power to the wheels

By far this was the most challenging of all. With the RC 10 short arms and massive turning lock to lock. I was hard to make the a drive shaft have that much suspension travel and turning without binding. So I came up with a double dog bone idea. I used Yokomo outter hubs and mounted them to the RC 10 arms. I took and cut off a dog bone short and used a Yokomo front inboard drive and secured it with a set screw. I put a bearing in the outer yokomo hub and put my outdrive in it. Now the wheel would turn withoutbinding. So I took another dogbone and came from my outdrive to my center sprocket assembley. That way the Aarm cold go through the full travel without binding.

Task 6

Wheels and hubs

Since I had Yokomo hubs I used the outdrive spindle hubs one way bearings and wheels. It was crude but able to test and get the job done. After testing at the Ranch Pit I was quite pleased with the results.

So I showed it to my friend and he thouught Gene would be interested in it so I gave him my car. With that they made some prot parts so Jay would have a 4 WD for the Worlds

So that is the story on the RC 10 4 WD that Jay Halsey ran in the Worlds.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

:shock: now THAT is a killer first post!!!

Please tell us you owned a camera!

:mrgreen:
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Dynodn

Post by Dynodn »

gomachv wrote::shock: now THAT is a killer first post!!!

Please tell us you owned a camera!

:mrgreen:
I will look to see if I have any Picts.
I went to work at the ranch helping Gil and was on
Worlds team in 88 but that was when my son was born
At the same time so I bailed in the race.