Ruffy's '93 Worlds car and other vintage items

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Ruffy
Approved Member

Ruffy's '93 Worlds car and other vintage items

Post by Ruffy »

I was an AE, Reedy, Proline, RCPS and Novak then LRP driver seems like eons ago, and qualified for the '93 Worlds at the Nationals held in Dallas,Tx prior to them.
I still have both of my Worlds '93 RC10's (race and backup car), and just like I ran them during the World's in 1993 at Basildon, England. Came back to the USA and put them on the shelf and never ran them again. I did throw out the old used tires though and they have other tires and rims on them now. I even have another one still NIB as well in case I needed parts.

I still even have my Kyosho 4WD car I ran there, with the specially machined (swiss cheese) CF chassis and shock towers as well as all the additional blue delrin hub carriers and blue anodized parts the Kyosho factory reps brought for me to the World's. The car even sports the special ultra thin, world's race team thin lexan Lazer body and undertray to reduce weight even further.

At the hotel we all stayed at, my room was right across the hall from Brian's... and Scott and I got into a little trouble for glueing Brian's door shut one night with CA and kicker. He had to call the front desk and Management had to come pry it open. Scott did most of the damage, but I should have stopped him, but yeah it was all out of fun because he locked himself in his room.
I also remember the Francis brothers getting into a little bit of mess too, with other drivers from the ground floor, which involved a "wet toilet paper" battle from the ground floor to their room window...needless to say imagine what the side of the hotel looked like 3 or 4 stories up with all the paper stuck to it that missed.

I still have the handed out registration british envelopes (2) that have the event, my name, numbers for the cars, with the round Euro numbers (see Brian's winning Worlds Car article) with the club letters BRRCA underneath them still new like I just got them today.
I'll post pics soon of the these things for this great site.

==========================================

I just got done taking these pictures of two of the 12 cars I still own from my racing career with Associated. The body I ran at the Worlds is still in the attic in a "old bodies" box I have.
The car on the left is the car I ran at the '93 Worlds for Associated

The car shown in the next 2 pictures below is the other Worlds Car (backup)

The following images are from 1993 at the World Chamionships in Basildon, England. The tent area was huge, and every team had long pit areas assigned to them. I was pitted next to Cliff, and across from Matt Francis. Brian was across from Cliff, with J.D. Beckwith next to Brian.

Hamming it up for the camera:

My car and Cliff's car just before we started to pack for the night. Cliff was running Orange wheel stickers and I was running Neon Yellow ones in our main to add color to the event.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Re: 1993 Worlds Car

Post by Ruffy »

Below were our credentials for the event, to get into and out of the track, hospitality and pit areas

Registration Envelopes 2WD and 4WD

I came across all of this IFMAR Worlds paperwork, booklets and we honestly could not remember we had this, but it looks like my wife got the 1st signature (or one of the 1st ones that afternoon) of the newly crowned '93 Worlds Champion on one of my IFMAR booklets.

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Absolutely awesome post! There's little more cred that can be earnt with this stuff than someone who's raced in a worlds event. Thankyou for taking the time to post such a cool lot of history.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

call-911
Approved Member

Post by call-911 »

Thanks for a great post!
Keith C

HENSLO

Post by HENSLO »

Awesome post!! How cool is that?
In the pits...broke again

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Fantastic stuff. Thanks a ton for posting that wonderful history. I'd love to sit down with your cars for like 30 minutes just to look them over. :D

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

Sweet post Ruffy, thanks for the pics, I love the first car, the one on the left. Are those towers graphite or aluminum? Love the custom milled chassis. I also notice you got rid of the hex on the shocks. Very cool hopped-up car., and that Hpc ESC was my favorite, it is the one I have on my car now.

Thanks again.

Why was Matt Francis running a gold chassis in the ‘93 world’s?
So very cool thanks again.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Matt's car: Just personal preference I bet. Look at his front suspension, I tell you we were trying everything we could to go faster on that track.
My towers were fiberglass. They were custom designed and made by me, and I had them cut with a CNC router while I worked at Composite Craft.

I must have changed those towers back and forth during the worlds to see which worked better, because in the Worlds pictures of my car I am using some drilled out towers I made, to make the car as light as possible.

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

Ruffy wrote:Matt's car: Just personal preference I bet. Look at his front suspension, I tell you we were trying everything we could to go faster on that track.
:lol: that what i was thinking... was hi running a graphite nose plate with a cut 10T bulkhead? :shock:

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Not 100% sure but I believe he was, or an aluminum truck nosepiece. The track was very hard and had some definite breakdown when the potholes started to appear due to dirt-clods coming out of the ground. These holes were not filled and made for some very erratic behavior from our cars suspension.

I updated my post to answer your (m_vice) question regarding the towers.

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

Don't let Cedric see this thread - he may build a reproduction of your cat :lol:

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Fantastic stuff Ruffy, thanks so much for sharing, we hope to see more!

Do you still make custom parts? Is that what the Ruffy Rigs sticker is about? I noticed they mixed up the names on the ID's. Your wife was listed as a merchant, what were you selling?

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Superb post, thanks for posting up pictures of your cars, its great to see & hear about such big events in R/C history first hand! You must be really proud to have been a part of the 93 Worlds & bring back great memories for you!

It always rather amuses me that the 93 Worlds were held in Basildon.... it must be the worlds least glamorous location!

The biggest meeting i've ever attended was the ISTC Touring Car World Cup (before there was a World Champion event in the touring class) Held at Alexander Palace in London back in 98 (I think?) .... I don't think I've ever quite felt that 'Buzz' of excitement & expectation as being in the pits at such an event.... your photos bring back that sensation!

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

RC10Resto: LOL!

slotcarrod: The name is Ruffy Rios (not rigs) and no they didn't mix the names up, I blacked out our signatures, but they also had us put the name of our "mechanic" (my wife) and for her to put the name of her driver (me) on our tags. Everyone had to do this if you had a specific mechanic who was not another driver at the race. She wasn't listed as a merchant, it was mechanic.

DerbyDan: Hope you enjoyed it, we actually liked Basildon but spent nights at Southend for fun. They have nightclubs. This forum has allowed me to recall things that I had let go back into the darkest areas, and to bring to light the images you see and lots more items I have yet to post, which I almost threw out as garbage.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

thanks for posting this great info and insight into the worlds! great set of cars you have there!

can i ask what kind of shock collars you have on your main car? they look almost like losi, but not quite?