Ruffy's '93 Worlds car and other vintage items

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Ruffy
Approved Member

Re: Ruffy's '93 Worlds car and other vintage items

Post by Ruffy »

Sure thing, I will later tonight.
I still have all of my old motors from my days running for Mike. That one is a Mr. M motor (I believe that was a 13 double designation), but that must have been one of the motors I last ran in that particular car back in the 90's before I started running again recently.
I started off recently again a few months back using a brushed Checkpoint 19T motor to rid myself of the rust I had accumulated over my 14-15 year retirement from racing. I'm currently now running only my gold tub RC10 (See the Gold Runner in my signature) weekly in the normal modified class against RC10-B4's using an 8.5T brushless LRP motor and LRP TC SXX ESC, but still using my trusty radios. Airtronics CS2P's with 94737 and 94151 servos on 27Mhz, and having a blast!
:D

extreemduster340
Approved Member

Post by extreemduster340 »

Hey Ruffy, I have still yet to see that beautiful worlds car in person :wink:

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

To see it is cool, but to drive it was way better.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

ExtreemDuster,
I will bring it out to the track for you to see next time out, once I return from California.

Thanks Jeff,
as was your box stock Team car to drive. Beauty in motion!

R-NO,
I apologize but as I had just informed Jeff over the weekend, I cleaned and rearranged our hobby room and finished it, accomplishing fitting 10 lbs in an 8 lb box so to say, but unfortunately my motors are all on the bottom back of the closet in that room, in another Associated Team carrier box.
I will provide you with a pic in the next few days, but tonight it seems next to impossible for me to be able to get back there at the moment, since I will need to pull most everything out to get to the motors.
:oops:
-Ruffy

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

R-NO also check out my post here regarding the Yatabe stickers.
I still have these from the mid 90's

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19190&p=187842#p187842

extreemduster340
Approved Member

Post by extreemduster340 »

Excellent, cant wait!

Jeff I can only imagine some of the cars you guys have had the chance to drive throughout the years!

Jamie

R-NO
Approved Member

Post by R-NO »

Ruffy wrote:R-NO also check out my post here regarding the Yatabe stickers.
I still have these from the mid 90's

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19190&p=187842#p187842
Ruffy, just checked your post regarding the Yatabe stickers. That confirms what I told the other member, there were more logos on the original sheet than on the new one, but I didn't remember there were so many sizes on it. Mine is all cut out and my memory tends to fade away... Thanks!

Regarding the pink Sonic motor, please post a picture when you find the time. I am just curious as I don't recall having ever seen this pink label with that particular old school Reedy logo type on it.

Thanks
R-NO

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Agreed.
If you look at the picture I posted of my Yatabe stickers, notice that I still have at least one of every-sized sticker on that sheet. The ones that are cut out are the same sizes as the ones next to the cutouts.
:)

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

R-NO wrote:
Regarding the pink Sonic motor, please post a picture when you find the time. I am just curious as I don't recall having ever seen this pink label with that particular old school Reedy logo type on it.

Thanks
R-NO
that's an ultra sonic. stand up brush motor.

R-NO
Approved Member

Post by R-NO »

Ruffy wrote:Agreed.
If you look at the picture I posted of my Yatabe stickers, notice that I still have at least one of every-sized sticker on that sheet. The ones that are cut out are the same sizes as the ones next to the cutouts.
:)
Picture is a bit distorded, hard to see the differences. How many sizes on the sheet? I recall 4, encluding the big one. I have only 2 sizes left from my old sheet.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

I count 6 different sizes.

R-NO
Approved Member

Post by R-NO »

Ruffy wrote:I count 6 different sizes.
Never thought there were that many! I just checked again what I have left. I found two sizes. One about 48mm and another 80mm wide.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

Cool pics Ruffy! I remember that race and the wheel dots on the AE team cars (some of them). The following year they would give one lap penalties to anyone who lost one during a race, since other cars were picking them up with their tires. lol

Good times.

I almost have my vintage car complete, so i'll see you at the track soon with it!

...Jim
W.E.D.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Those were definitely the best of times to be an RC racer.

Let me know if you need help or aid tuning her, as I am looking forward to the day we can have 10 vintage cars on the track. I have found that racing my RC10 is 2 times more gratifying than running the B4, so as long as we have indoor tracks within striking distance I'll keep running my gold RC10 CE.

-Ruffy

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

R-NO, you are in luck!
This weekend is the start of a new RC Asylum racing series and instead of just running modified with my gold tub RC10, I am going to run stock with my black tub RC10 that still has all the old electronics in it... sooo I decided to run the stock class by using an old stock brushed motor (27T) instead of a brushless one (17.5T). Therefore I had to go dig all this stuff out of one of my Associated Carrier Travel boxes and get to the motor drawers to get some very old stock motors out.

Here is the picture of that motor you wanted alongside many other Reedy motors and 1 LRP motor. I only pulled one of each out of some that I have as it's just too much to carry out after all those years racing.
The lone LRP modified motor was given to me to test by Jurgen Laudenbach (Mr. LRP) I believe approx. a few months before I started running for Associated Electrics and Mike (Reedy), and it was very fast! This was a long time before he started to make his ESC for the team to race with.

A few things in case of questions:
The sharpie marking to designate what type of motor it is, was done by Mike Reedy while he builds the motor at the track for me. Some of the motors have the production sticker label too, since he would have some of these at times.
The motors that have my name on a decal along the length of the motor was also done by Mike while rebuilding motors that I liked to keep running, so he would put my name on it when I handed it back to him and he would freshen it up or if I wanted it a little tamer, or more violent, etc... then he would know which motor was mine and his notes would let him know what to do. Mike is awesome!
Ruffys_Motors001.JPG
Ruffys_Motors002.JPG