Houge RC10

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RC10Eh
Approved Member

Houge RC10

Post by RC10Eh »

It was a Houge RC10 that led me to this forum about two years ago . The first time i saw the car I had to have one, the swing arms and broad thick chassis was a thing of beauty . Since then i have managed pm everybody and anybody that might have some information on this firm .
Here are my two cars . First one i just threw together . The parts have been in a bin for a while now , |I thought if i mocked it up it might inspire me to finish it. I have had to use some used parts , and in no way is it complete , but still considering on the best way to finish .

Most of you will remember the Cardinal Car , it was well documented on this forum prior to me obtaining it .

So i am hoping we can turn this into a Houge thread , a place to share information on this firm , please post any relevant information .

I personally would love to see more of the product line, and photographs of Houge Drag cars would be great to see as well . With RC drag racing gaining popularity i am hoping to see some of the vintage cars surface .

Cheers and thanks for looking

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: Houge RC10

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Houge kinda fell into obscurity with Composite Craft if I am correct-

extreemduster340
Approved Member

Post by extreemduster340 »

Mr Ruffy would be able to chime in on that.

Ruffy?

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

oh man thats nice, i had a houge rc10 BITD. i loved that car and regret selling it.
i had a rpm worlds front end on mine. that chassis was so thick.

the car really loved the rough stuff, kinda like the jrx2. i had trouble keeping up with the XX's so i sold it a bought a XX.

i miss that car so much.

RC10Eh
Approved Member

Post by RC10Eh »

I am looking forward to Ruffy's comments . When you have time sir . :D

extreemduster340
Approved Member

I just sold a carbon chassis car with the aluminum arms on it that I resotred:( But on the bright side a couple of days after I sold it I found a new in package Andys kit and a car that has a new andys or Houge/cc chassis. So that will be my next project. I always hate to sell my stuff but I love being able to build new cars, soooo I guess I cant keep them all LOL...

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Sorry, I had been off the forums for a short bit due to a sciatic like issue (google piriformis syndrome) that had me out of commission for over a week, but I have started the healing with a new medical approach now that we diagnosed it correctly.

As Reggie mentioned, Composite Craft used to make and package everything for Mike Houge here in Orlando, Florida. One of the suspected reasons the Houge trailing arm system began to fall into obscurity was that the design of the trailing arm cars are more for the rough type of tracks that were around in the early years of 1/10th RC car racing. Back then nearly all the cars that worked very well were trailing arm cars (ex. Cox/Kyosho Scorpion, AYK cars, etc...). Therefore when the RC10 came out with the A-arm suspension, it was natural for many people that found they had excessive bouncing around on mogul type tracks to move to designing a trailing arm conversion for the RC10.
As tracks slowly but steadily progressed to a more groomed track environment from a natural surface-dragged type of track (this happened as clubs began to acquire the funds to buy track equipment), racers found that they did not necessarily have any advantage to using a trailing arm car and in fact as tracks got smoother (hard packed) found they were even at a slight disadvantage to an A-arm suspension car at putting down the power and maintaing that solid foot print for traction and acceleration, both of which are key to successful racing. They lacked the fine tune adjustment for camber angles to the rear tires to do this as well. This is what turned the tide from trailing arm cars to a-arm cars.

-Chris Allec designed a fixed trailing arm system (not adjustable for camber) for the RC10 sold under their "A&L Products" line (Allec and Lane) that was adaptable to the RC10 stock chassis, and was also sold in a kit that included a new chassis and rear shock tower to improve the rear suspension geometry for his system. Chris used to race a car he dubbed "The Allec" but he never came out with a production vehicle for sale.

-Eustace Moore of MIP (Moore's Ideal Products) designed his own version of a trailing arm system for the RC10 that had a camber adjustment for the rear tires and this too was adaptable to the stock RC10 chassis.

-Mike Houge designed his own version of a trailing arm suspension for the RC10 under the name "Houge Enterprises", but Houge's design was not designed to be used with the stock RC10 chassis. Houge's design required the use of his own chassis design to work correctly, and although it did not have a designed in camber adjustment, many found that by adding shim washers under one of the two mounting screws on his arm mounts provided any adjustment you might need to fine tune the back of the RC10.

- Gil Losi Jr (or Jr as we called him) then formed the Team Losi company with his father Gil and they came out with their JRX2 car that had both systems integrated in a single package design. They created the 5-Link suspension system which was an a-arm link style (2 links) suspension that also incorporated a trailing link-arm (2 links) suspension that was designed to be the best of both worlds with the 5th link being the upper link for camber adjustment to the hub. But again, as tracks changed and time now shows, the Losi crews design updates turned the 5-link suspension into an a-arm suspension which is what they finally ended up with, similar to the RC10's stock suspension.

I hope this helps.
In my quest to help a few members here, I myself designed a replacement arm that is machined from billet aluminum that was stronger than the injection molded Houge arm, and made to work with the standard Houge chassis, but without the need of the standard shim washer everyone had used to correct for the sharp camber angle. My design was different enough that I had to give it my own name of Ruf-Trailing Arms, and also so-as to not incur in any legal problems with Houge. You can see the progress in this thread HERE and the final resulting model images.
Only two sets of these have ever been made to my prints; Jeff Harris here has one set and maybe he can post a picture of his mounted to his car after he had them black anodized, and I still have the second set with me as I lack a Houge Chassis to mount them to.
My arms are designed to be run hard without the fear of breaking, twisting or bending under the harshest track jumps we find today, even when landing on the edge of a tire. You would find that you would snap the 8-32 aluminum screw holding the arm mounts to the chassis before you did any damage to the arms themselves.
Ruf-TrailingArm_1.jpg

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

I don't want to detour from the thread theme but I wandered If Ruffy or anyone knows a bit more on the Andy's trailing arm design. It is very similar to a Houge design, the chassis mounting is almost the same.

image from Asso_man!'s stable

extreemduster340
Approved Member

I have the same setup as you but my instructions state it is for a standard stamped chassis.

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

I remember at the Nationals one year, Houge had a bunch of prototype cars with his drivers, and all the cars had arms made of aluminum front and rear. The thing is that those rear aluminum Houge arms I saw as I held more than one of the prototype cars in my hand, were exactly like these Andy's arms I have seen around the net and pictures like the ones posted here by M_Vice. My guess is that Houge was starting to back out of making any more production trailing arms (the aluminum ones were strictly prototype as they were machined and not cast like the A&L arms, as the cost would be too high) and sold his design to Andy's, which Andy then took and had production injection molds made for these, and he also molded the chassis instead of having a carbon fiber one made.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

the andy's trailing arms and mounts are quite different than the houge pieces. i don't see how they have anything to do with one another, but that's just my opinion. i have no back story to go along with it.......

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

The arms and the mounts design is quit different but the chassis are very similar. Mounting location and everything, you can mount Andy's on a Houge chassis and vise versa but you end up with different wheelbase.

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

Has anybody ever seen the Bullet Racing trailing arm kit? I'm curious how the durable the arms were, the mounts and pivots look pretty small.
Attachments
RC-X2 01.jpg
RC-X2 01.jpg (86.26 KiB) Viewed 4460 times
RC-X2 01.jpg
RC-X2 01.jpg (86.26 KiB) Viewed 4460 times
RC-X2 02.jpg
RC-X2 03.jpg
RC-X2 03.jpg (51.34 KiB) Viewed 4460 times
RC-X2 03.jpg
RC-X2 03.jpg (51.34 KiB) Viewed 4460 times
RC-X2 04.jpg

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

SteveK wrote:Has anybody ever seen the Bullet Racing trailing arm kit? I'm curious how the durable the arms were, the mounts and pivots look pretty small.
mrlexan has one, and i'm pretty sure cedric does, too.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

m_vice wrote:The arms and the mounts design is quit different but the chassis are very similar. Mounting location and everything, you can mount Andy's on a Houge chassis and vise versa but you end up with different wheelbase.

well, that means the mounting location is different between the chassis', too. :wink: