91 Masami Stealth replica (Photo Comparison Uploaded)

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Kiwidave

Re: 91 Masami Stealth replica (Photo Comparison Uploaded)

Post by Kiwidave »

well done to you guys that have got this stealth buggy looking so good.

i was in Sydney for the 89 worlds (sadly i missed the 2wd finals) and saw masami drive his dog fighter around that track like it was on rails.

it would be great if there was a replica of his dog fighter of the day with the 4x2 chassis and rear arms and shock towers.

is there any chance that you guys would consider doing another masami replica.

David

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

Kiwidave wrote:well done to you guys that have got this stealth buggy looking so good.

i was in Sydney for the 89 worlds (sadly i missed the 2wd finals) and saw masami drive his dog fighter around that track like it was on rails.

it would be great if there was a replica of his dog fighter of the day with the 4x2 chassis and rear arms and shock towers.

is there any chance that you guys would consider doing another masami replica.

David

give a look at this thread david...

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=26686

last5liter

Re: 91 Masami Stealth replica COMPLETED!!!!!!

Post by last5liter »

hkp wrote:
integra22t wrote:i would love a kit .. always love that car

i think ill just leave this here

[youtube]odYYjUk17IE[/youtube]
The track looks long gone now!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Freedom+Hill+Co+Park/@42.5635829,-82.978213,89m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x8824d94922b99f5d:0xb3a2ccfce93f158d

As a kid who grew up in Sterling Heights MI. I remember racing on the original worlds track for a few years after the 91 races. Was very cool to stand where your childhood hero's stood and raced. The original track was removed so they could build a amphitheater for concerts. They did make a second track that was used for a 1/8 scale buggies and the kyosho challenge was held there a few times.
The second track was eventually taken down because people were complaining about the noise....so freedom hill announced they would close the r/c track to reduce noise issues. But we all know the noise was from the newer amphitheater.....but that wasn't going anywhere cause it was a money maker ;)
Was sad to see the original track go, it was a great place as a kid to spend time :)
If only the track was still there....man I would build one of these 91' stealth repros in a heartbeat and race it on the track it won the worlds on!!

Welshy40
Approved Member

Post by Welshy40 »

Advice required please guys. Cars almost done, awaiting the correct esc to arrive, still hunting the KO and the rear springs. But one item thats driving me crazy is the rear motor peotector plate, mines gold and dont want to put sand paper to it so any other suggestions on getting rid of the gold coating? Will brake fluid work ? Really am stuck.
Designer of the Lazer ZX / ZXR Tub Chassis (now available again from Fibre-Lyte)

Sponser links below
http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/
http://www.kamtec.co.uk/

JK Racing
Approved Member

Post by JK Racing »

Easy off oven cleaner...the nasty stuff, not the friendly stuff. It will eat the anno' right off. Apply, wait a couple minutes, rinse, repeat until your happy. Dont leave it too long, it will turn black and pit the alloy.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

Welshy40
Approved Member

Post by Welshy40 »

Ive found an easier way of removing anodising. Buy caustic soda crystals, 500g should be sufficient, get a bucket, preferably plastic / rubber version. Fill halfway up with water, then pour in the crystals, then wearing chemical protective gloves drop in the motor protector plate and leave for 5-8 or so minutes, using big tweezers. Worth checking every three minutes as this can eat the metal as well so pull out and see if all anodising has come off, if not put back in for a little while longer until done.

When all looks like its come off put into another prepared tub of warm water and half a bottle of washing up liquid for your dishes, and using a green scourer or a finer version gently rub the metal plate to remove the left over paint, then rinse off under the tap and job done. Looks almost brand new plus if you have the equipment can make it really shiny.
Designer of the Lazer ZX / ZXR Tub Chassis (now available again from Fibre-Lyte)

Sponser links below

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

the easy off works really well, I usually use the bare minimum time if possible, and set up two buckets, one with fresh water, the other just a catch for the easy off drippings. suit up, crappy clothes, rubber gloves, safety goggles. spray on, and gently scrub with an old toothbrush, and then dunk in fresh water. keeps the etching to a minimum.

Welshy40
Approved Member

Post by Welshy40 »

Problem is that varient isnt sold in the UK so had to use caustic soda crystals. Still well chuffed with the finished item and looks so much better in silver.

Sponser links below

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Ah, understood.

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

I am going to add the word 'chuffed' to my vernacular. 8)

Y'ernat Al
Approved Member

Post by Y'ernat Al »

Holy $%@# I got some catching up to do! A guy gets busy with other stuff besides rc for a while and...whew. Nice work Jake!
- Brian -

My Gallery

Barber420

Post by Barber420 »

Wow!!! I've been an AE nut since the late 80's, and have quite a vast collection of their models, but this, this is something else!!! Well done Niki and Jake!!!!!!! This is quite a work of art. As I just finished reading this entire novel of a thread :lol: , I haven't looked to see if these kits are still available. Was it a limited run, or am I still able to attain one of these? I literally have hundreds of vintage AE parts NIP or almost new at home, so I don't think I'd really have to buy anything else for it. I saw one sell on eBay a few months ago for about a grand. I was wondering where it came from, and now I know. lol I've got almost every version of the first gen RC10's (still missing a TQ10), but had no idea this was available. Time to go more broke and add another two to the collection... :D It has to be two, because I personally know I need to have an NIB version and a runner, because I'm ridiculous. 8) I should've joined this forum many moons ago. :roll: Lastly, HOW AWESOME THAT CURTIS CHIMED IN ON THIS AND LIKED IT!!!!!!!!!!
48 Associated cars ranging from RC12i and newer; plus another 30 or 40 others. :D

Garage Hack
Approved Member

Re: 91 Masami Stealth replica COMPLETED!!!!!!

Post by Garage Hack »

Curtis wrote: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:51 am Hi guys,

I hope I can answer some of your questions.

@LittleVETTE - Regarding the upper deck thickness. The upper deck needs to be as thin as possible without breaking. A thin upper deck lets the chassis flex side to side but the design keeps it stiff front to back.

@ Nikki - At the time we only could get 30 degree kick-up Carbon Fiber panels. We didn't have an option of different angles. I believe it is the chassis stance in the pictures that is fooling your eyes. Masami's car is the same as all the others.

@ Peakey - We took all the '91 Stealth Cars back after the race. No one was allowed to keep their cars. We did have a lot of cars at the shop but ended up destroying most all of them when we moved the shop from Costa Mesa to Lake Forest building.

@ jbmeyer13 - No compensatory angle was built into the front bulkhead. The hinge pins are at a 30 degree angle. Regarding the losing of something in the translation. The stiffness in the molded arms were not the same as the stiffness as the machined arms. We needed to try molding arms in different materials as well as altering the designs of the molded parts to get the correct stiffness.
Looks like I am 7 years too late finding this but better than never seeing it. So cool to hear the back story on this. I remember what a big deal the "stealth" car story was in the 89 RCCA coverage of the IFMAR Worlds. The car took on mythical status so much so I am a grown man reading about toy cars all these years later. Thanks for sharing this information. It is appreciated.

Garage Hack
Approved Member

Post by Garage Hack »

Barber420 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:00 pm HOW AWESOME THAT CURTIS CHIMED IN ON THIS AND LIKED IT!!!!!!!!!!
Exactly!

coxbros1
Approved Member

Post by coxbros1 »

what ever happened to Seabass?
Tap pic for clarity: Derek