RC10 out of storage at last

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

uniquenamehere
Approved Member

RC10 out of storage at last

Post by uniquenamehere »

It's been a big week for us, we moved back home to Ontario, Canada from Germany. Upon coming back we got most of our belongings out of storage, I had a couple of boxes that contained my old RC10 and parts that have probably been in boxes for 20 years.

This was my original RC10 that I put together from the kit. I never ran it on dirt, I purchased some Proline wheels and road tires shortly after assembling it and the original tires and wheels have never been used (I was pretty anal as a kid even). I hadn't looked in those boxes for probably close to 10 years so it was quite a surprise what I found. The car itself has never been disassembled since I put it together, and even contains the original shock oil. The under carriage has only a couple tiny scratches.

I had no idea that I purchased the wide front end and 6 hole shock tower (those all look brand new). I was planning a Cliff Lett replica from the 1990 ROAR Nationals even back then...just didn't have the money!

Just thought I'd share these pictures/story with you guys, as I'm sure you'll appreciate it 100% more than my wife does.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: RC10 out of storage at last

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Damn, you don't need any restoration on that, just a light cleaning and you have a great piece from the get go. My favorite radio of all time hands down too. You're lucky to have kept it all. :mrgreen:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

[quote][My favorite radio of all time hands down too/quote] me too i still have 1 i use today..

nice car be careful what you clean this car with. maybe its just the pic but i have a rc10 with a chassis like that (looks like the anno. is very thin). i went to clean it and the anno started to come off and the chassis looks bad now.it didnt bother me too much cause the chassis was scrached up but yours looks really nice.

bxlt
Approved Member

Post by bxlt »

Wow what a great car. My RC10 Graphite has that same color purple body. But I wish my original gold pan car was as clean as that one is!!!

lilpanther
Approved Member

Post by lilpanther »

Wow, That thing look's like a time capsule. So if you never ran it in the dirt, Did you just run it on the street?

uniquenamehere
Approved Member

Post by uniquenamehere »

lilpanther wrote:Wow, That thing look's like a time capsule. So if you never ran it in the dirt, Did you just run it on the street?
Yes... street only! And I was pretty careful running it... after all it was expensive, and I had to buy everything myself. :)

I think shortly after I got it, I got out of the hobby... so it's seen very light duty!

Timmy2Tracks
Approved Member

Post by Timmy2Tracks »

I was very anal about my stuff when I was a kid (still am) and I wish I stuck my rc's in a box rather than selling them. You must have been so happy to open those boxes...

uniquenamehere
Approved Member

Post by uniquenamehere »

Timmy2Tracks wrote:I was very anal about my stuff when I was a kid (still am) and I wish I stuck my rc's in a box rather than selling them. You must have been so happy to open those boxes...
Yes, very... it was a little like Christmas. I think I still have another box of parts...I hope to find more nice surprises like that.

Thanks all for the positive comments, I'm very glad I hung on to this. Now I wish I didn't give away my Tamiya Blackfoot... I had some sweet hop ups on that. :D

uniquenamehere
Approved Member

Post by uniquenamehere »

I managed to go through another box of parts. Mostly unused hardware left over from assembly, but I did find a *brand new* unopened package of 25 degree castor blocks.

I think I was pretty serious about replicating Cliff Lett's 1990 ROAR 20 years ago... too bad I never finished collecting all the parts!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

no reason you can't finish it now.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

That car looks mint! I would not run it if I were you! Find a beat used one for cheap on eBay to run! :wink:

Cool car, I agree that it looks like a time capsule! 8)

SFC K
Approved Member

Post by SFC K »

That is very nice! I would pull those batteries out though for storage. I just recieved a lot and one chassis had battery acid that leaked and ate the chassis up in one spot. I would hate to see that happen to yours.
Jeff

uniquenamehere
Approved Member

Post by uniquenamehere »

Thread is back from the dead!

Shamefully my first RC10 here has been living in a box since I pulled it out of storage...without so much as a wipe down. I've finally taken pity on it, and decided to bring it back to it's former glory.

Here's some photos of the journey so far

Cliff Lett inspired steering modifications! It appears that the linkage has cracked, but I ordered a replacement (re-release worlds steering linkage). Also notice hack saw job on the nose plate. 15 year old me didn't have a lot of patience!

25 year old vintage dirt... who wants some?

Gave my 25 year old NI-CD batteries a charge... nothing blew up, and voltage looks good. I'm going to give them a run! 1400SCR are still the best. See first pic in this post!

Said butchered nose plate. 15 year old me sucked at cutting metal.

All disassembled and given a bath.

Cleaned up the hack saw butchery with a flat file. Looking better!

Transmission looks great, I bought some new bearings but other than that it's just getting a clean with some new lube where necessary

I put new wires in my T4 back in the day...Buds Racing Products!

Not the worst soldering job I've done... not bad 15 year old me. :)

As a bonus, I found this among the parts in the box. I was pretty serious about a Cliff Lett replica back in the day. :D

For the life of me I can't remember if the Novak T4 was a 3 or 4 wire to begin with. I think it was 4, but looking at where it is soldered I can't see a 4th hole, maybe it will be obvious when I remove the existing wires. I'd like to go back to the original wires that were in there as the join on the orange wires is pretty sketchy. I'm going to try to source some good original style wire, does anyone know where to get it?

Thanks for looking. I'm really exciting about cleaning this up. I loved (well still love) this car... it's special to me and I can't wait to have it all put back together.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

That hacksaw job on the nose plate is by far not the worst one I've seen and don't think it looked too bad for a 15yr old.

As far as the whole car goes it looks great. Should be a pretty good memory refurbisher...even if the wife doesn't appreciate it as much as we do :wink:

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Ronbo
Approved Member

Post by Ronbo »

[quote="uniquenamehere"]Thread is back from the dead!

I put new wires in my T4 back in the day...Buds Racing Products!

For the life of me I can't remember if the Novak T4 was a 3 or 4 wire to begin with. I think it was 4, but looking at where it is soldered I can't see a 4th hole, maybe it will be obvious when I remove the existing wires. I'd like to go back to the original wires that were in there as the join on the orange wires is pretty sketchy. I'm going to try to source some good original style wire, does anyone know where to get it?

quote]
I checked my Novak T4, its 4 wires. Looking good on your build.