'91 Composite Craft/RPM Worlds build

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JK Racing
Approved Member

Re: '91 Worlds OIN build

Post by JK Racing »

lexus-5 wrote:I have a question/observation please:

Why would Composite Craft put out a chassis cut the way the one in the picture is (at the top) and call it a “Worlds” chassis
Maybe because the chassis was designed to use the RPM "Worlds" suspension?
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

delsami
Approved Member

Post by delsami »

I WILL BE BUILDING ONE OF THESE!!!!!!! i didn't know i could get a new chassis.....i have always wanted a car like this. As a kid i had the rpm worlds kit on a black "worlds" tub.
xxx,lunchbox,blackfoot,t4,2 rc10ce's,rc10 graphite,rc10 worlds car,2 rc10 t's,xx4---GONE:mip4wdrc10,rpm worlds,houge rc10,super clod,sand scorcher,f103,frog,xxxt,b2,b3,tc3,jrx2,fox,yr4-m2 usa,yz-10 many more LOL

vsefiream
Approved Member

Post by vsefiream »

It's been a little while since I updated or even worked on this car until last night. Here are some pics of the progress:

Gimme a month or two for some more updates. Maybe it'll be done in time for the indoor season up here in the north east??
I also updated the thread title. It's not really an old is new car, it's still plain old school.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: '91 RPM Worlds build

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

The only thing stiffer than that chassis are my nipples. 8)
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

I like the woven fiber look. That's going to turn out really nice in the end

works92
Approved Member

Post by works92 »

shodog wrote:I like the woven fiber look. That's going to turn out really nice in the end
+1
Pretty nice built to come

vsefiream
Approved Member

Post by vsefiream »

I finally made some progress, Ill let the pics speak for themselves;

Just have to finish the Viper body and put some electronics in the car

janaya
Approved Member

Post by janaya »

This build is looking awesome.
Javier -

RC10 Shelfer, RC10 Worlds Car Runner, RC10T Shelfer, RC10T2 Runner, SC18, JConcepts BJ4, B5M and counting.
RC10T WOIN Build http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=32541

works92
Approved Member

Post by works92 »

i don't like the purple screws but the rest is awesome !!
really nice build, i'm jealous ! :D

vsefiream
Approved Member

Post by vsefiream »

It's been a little while but I don't feel too bad, it's par for the course around here :lol: Anyways, I completed the car this past week and hurried it along a bit so I could race it this weekend with my brother, nephew and my son at our local indoor track. Our local indoor track is a carpeted off road circuit. I burnt the midnight oil Friday and Saturday night getting it completed. I neglected to get pics of it pre race mostly because I was so worn out. Anyhow here are a few pics post race, explaination to follow:

I am a very rusty driver, always have been.. So my first two heats were wraught with mistakes and crashes. I was learning and improving and the car was running well. I would say it was as fast if not faster than the brushless cars on the track in Novice class. This thing does move and a few other racers were surprised.
The car's setup was less than optimal but this was expected for it's first time out. It's major issue was a persistant loose slipper. I bottomed out the spring and it still slipps a bit too much. It's the large diameter B2 style slipper but the friction material is a white plastic and I'm sure it's not too grippy. My plans to upgrade to the new style B4 slipper have been pushed to the front burner now. Second biggest issue was poor front grip. Part of the blame is the shock setup. The front is way too soft. I am working on a spring change all the way around to stiffen it up. The bigger issue with the front grip is the tires. I will be switching to mini pins, maybe hole shots to match the rear. Third issue, I kept popping the front RPM ball cups off. I bought theese things so I wouldn't have to deal with that. I'm looking into the front steering geometry a bit to sort it out. I think there is a binding situation that may be causing it, or just excessive crashing. Next issue was the loose front shock tower, it kept loosening up each heat. Longer screws with locknuts up front will fix that. Lastly and a direct result of my poor driving combined with the issues mentioned was a broken rear shock tower. Luckily it happened toward the end of the final and I wasn't anywhere near winning. I am going to be ordering a set of the 3mm thick towers from Aaron this weekend to help add a little strength. The 2mm thick rear tower snapped like a twig in the last crash :(
Overall, the car ran pretty well, the combination of old electronics and new battery technology worked out well and the Novak low cell detector kept me out of trouble. The car pushed but other than that it did alright. It jumps like a dream, very stable, level and controlable. Lastly the power from the Reedy Sonic "O" was fantastic, I was clearing jumps like nobody's busness and landing smoothly on the other side!!
I also mananged to find the one retro fan at the track as well... one other driver in my pit area recognize the car and was very keen on checking it out. We shot the bull about the way it used to be for a little bit. It was a good day!

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Nice, too bad about the tower- but those things happen. Where are you racing near Rochester?

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

That chassis looks awesome. I love the weave in the carbon

Vale
Approved Member

Post by Vale »

It looks awesome, I love it...and I'm pretty jalous :oops:

Would love to have such a beauty in my collection :) I wish you a lot of fun with that car :)

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

I was good up until the last update, then my feelings got hurt along with the tower. As Reggie said, it's just a tower, it happens. This a sweet build, replace that tower and keep on going.

vsefiream
Approved Member

Post by vsefiream »

Thanks guys

Vintage - Don't fear, the way I see it, (and this follows right along with my thoughs/opinion for my real car) it was designed and built to be raced and that's what it's doing. I'm not one to build for display or show, although I have respect for those that do.
There will be minor casualties along the way and that's just part of having fun and competing. I'll pick up the thicker shock towers from Aaron this weekend. I've learned my lesson, stay away from thin carbon :evil:

Reggie - I'm with you. We race at the overhauled East Ridge Raceway. It's been overhauled by a great guy by the name of Brian Davin at http://makintraxxrc.com/ He has set up a great facility and we had a blast!!

Stay tuned. My brother and I plan on taking the boys racing every other weekend. Hopefully I get another RC10 done and race ready so I can con him into racing with me!