RC10 Cad Project

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DMAT
Approved Member

RC10 Cad Project

Post by DMAT »

So I decided to create an entire cad model of the RC10.

If anything, This will allow easy creations of dimensioned drawings of the car parts later on. Hopefully i'll figure out how to properly render this thing to make it look better.

So to start off, A nice gold pan. Stealth Holes to come. Grabbed the wrong chassis when I left for work.

myfordcnc
Approved Member

Re: RC10 Cad Project

Post by myfordcnc »

This is great. I've been thinking along the same lines.That is some nice work. Here are some other parts. They need adjustments. The idea of having things mesh withe other people part models is obliviously is key. that's why this so exiting. Also having a thingiverse like set up here would be great. Where we could have a library of actual parts files. Eventually even have g-code files as well. How did you get the placement of holes. Are you using a CMM. I'm drawing up a rear bulk head. The center to center width of the mounting holes would be useful.
Attachments
Rim.JPG
Rim.JPG (6.63 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
Rim.JPG
Rim.JPG (6.63 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
rim2.JPG
rim2.JPG (10.5 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
rim2.JPG
rim2.JPG (10.5 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
Arm.JPG
Arm.JPG (7.91 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
Arm.JPG
Arm.JPG (7.91 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
Transsmision brace spacer ala Chris.JPG
Transsmision brace spacer ala Chris.JPG (5.9 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
Transsmision brace spacer ala Chris.JPG
Transsmision brace spacer ala Chris.JPG (5.9 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
Wing mount ala Chris.JPG
Wing mount ala Chris.JPG (5.49 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
Wing mount ala Chris.JPG
Wing mount ala Chris.JPG (5.49 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
Battery post.JPG
Battery post.JPG (5.16 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
Battery post.JPG
Battery post.JPG (5.16 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
rc10 Rear Arm  mount.JPG
rc10 Rear Arm mount.JPG (5.09 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
rc10 Rear Arm  mount.JPG
rc10 Rear Arm mount.JPG (5.09 KiB) Viewed 2631 times

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

Not sure what a CMM is but for the measureing purpose, Im usinging scans/traces of the parts the slowly going thru with a caliper and measureing out the location of each hole relative to a static point. At best my accuracy is only down to 0.005" but I'm hoping that will be enough. When I do the parts that align with the holes, That will give me a second way of checking my measurements.

As to thingiverse and all that, I've not actually done anything with them yet. I'll probably get into it If i get into makerbot and such. It might be helpful to do later on If people decide they want to make parts.

Right now I'm only making the major parts at moment. Once I finish up the chassis, I'll move onto the nose plate then motor plate then rear bulkhead if time allows today. I am also trying to redo some parts to make them easier to make such as a rear bulkhead but I'll probably throw that on a 2nd model for modified parts. Not like it could be that bad to figure out a way to make a new tranny plug n play with an adapter so no additional cutting or drilling is needed. At the same time, I'm limited to the parts I have. Some parts can be made by picture but others cant.

vsefiream
Approved Member

Post by vsefiream »

a CMM/DCC is a multi-axis "robotic" measureing device that uses touch to measure an item. It's commonly used in quality control. We used one at Kodak, it was preprogrammed with the part dimmensions and fixture info.

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

yea, i definitely dont have access to one of those. But i do have the patience to tediously measure out these parts. I end up measuring something 3 times before I put the info in.

What I can do i print out the chassis layout at a 1:1 scale and lay it out with the actual chassis just to check myself.

mattxb
Approved Member

Post by mattxb »

Thats really cool. That would be a great tool for designing new parts for the cars. Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing what you do.

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

So let me preface this dumb question by saying I'm not a machinist or engineer, but I wanted to ask....

If you have a CNC machine available, can you simply "plug" this design/drawing in and feed in some aluminum and voilà, you have an RC10 chassis or bulkhead or rear arm mounts, etc?

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

flipwils11 wrote:So let me preface this dumb question by saying I'm not a machinist or engineer, but I wanted to ask....

If you have a CNC machine available, can you simply "plug" this design/drawing in and feed in some aluminum and voilà, you have an RC10 chassis or bulkhead or rear arm mounts, etc?
I dont know the full capabilities of the machines either but I can say yes for some parts. For example, shock towers, trans brace, battery strap, and a motor plate could be done by just putting down some sheet metal and letting the machine carve out a part. Thats primarily 2 dimensional machining though. I think the CNC operator would also have to program in the path for the tool to follow. The more complex the machine, The more it can do in 1 go. Most machines would still need some operator help as to reposition a part such as on the rear bulkhead when you have intricate designs on all 6 sides. Even just a 3 axis CNC would need several changes to get all the parts right on each side.

Now some parts could possibly be changed to allow fewer operations but would still involve help from the operator.

Parts like the chassis and the motor plate where there is bent metal. I couldnt accurately say what is the best method to go.

This project will be much better down the road though. With respect to 3D printers, Just find one that uses the material you prefer and the 3D model would be all you need. Plastics have their faults but can be cheap. Printing in metal is a complete possibility now albiet costly as the machines can easily cost over a million and that cost is reflected back on the products.

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

WOW that looks great, good colour as well!!

chophead69
Approved Member

Post by chophead69 »

To answer about the machining part of the programming unless you are using software that cost adout 25grand and have the software interfaced with you mill and or lathe.no you cant just plug and play.lol.and any program is a tool just like a drill or endmill.it has to be provin out.as a machinist (manual and cnc) all i need is a part,paper,pen,calipers,mic and a scale.(ruler).to reverse engineer a part sure a cmm would be great.....if i were building a space shuttle but lets be real for a moment its a rc car so you can be off a lil not alot but say. 003to maybe .005 on some parts.a arm mounts you want a reamed hole for the pin so that easy if you have a reamer to the size.counter sink for the holes are the ones you really want to have right because thats what locates the part.bearing sizes are very important as the hold your bearing and locate it to say the other half of a case but i can take any part and put it in a mill and use a test indicator to make more accurate drawings.cnc or manuel mill will do if manuel has a read out.when i program a part i have a blue print and a piece of metal or plastic and cutter.the i write a program not the mill.or a computer.creating a cad is nice for location and sizes to see how things should look and work but how many times have i had it out wit a engineer on why something wont work.x,y and z is based off a blue print.by given diamensions.like 6.75 round 4.375 inner hole. By 12.25 long.does anyone remember the days when we worked from paper or a broken part to make somthing by hand on a manual machine? Lathe or mill drillpress saw grinder? Cnc is great cad is nice but true talent is long gone lol.hope i didnt make anyone mad
My pop always said i had to many iron's in the fire

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

sorta reminds me of one of my teachers at college. We had to make w/e he decided to do and all the machines were manually controlled. Having a steady hand is a nice thing :)

Albiet I was still having fun with cad stuff so everything he gave us I ended up redoing the sketches so the actual details needed were there. They werent the oddest things I had to design. That man powered submarine was a doozie :lol: im not kidding. Civil war era submarine.

moto-steve
Approved Member

Post by moto-steve »

STOP with the tech stuff and JUST DO IT :mrgreen: I would love to see someone make some new stuff like this. :D Wow new repo stuff can you imagine building rc10s with your choice of color and options :lol: now thats awesome.
Lifes to short not to play with toys.

myfordcnc
Approved Member

Post by myfordcnc »

The Hunley or the turtle?

To ad to what the machines capabilities are. It is unfortunately not as simple as feeding a solid model in and getting a part out the other end (3d printing is basically like that). Once you have your model you need to use a program like solidcam or mastercam or the like.

In these programs you decide:

How and where the part is going to sit in the machine, how the tool bit is going to move.

What tool is going to be used how fast the spindle is going to turn.

How fast the the tool is going to move through the material.

Eventually you're able to spit out some g-code that the milling machine understands

It looks something like this:

(MATERIAL - ALUMINUM INCH - 2024)
( T1 | 3/4 FLAT ENDMILL | H1 )
( T2 | 1/32 BALL ENDMILL | H2 )
N100 G20
N102 G0 G17 G40 G49 G80 G90
/ N104 G91 G28 Z0.
/ N106 G28 X0. Y0.
/ N108 G92 X10. Y10. Z10.
N110 M8
N112 T1 M6
N114 G0 G90 X-1.2634 Y.3918 A0. S5000 M3
N116 G43 H1 Z4.874
N118 Z4.824
N120 G1 Z4.564 F100.
N122 X1.2634 F25.
N124 G0 Z4.814

This is from a program that's is over 3000 lines long.

It's a lot of work for one part. It only really makes sense once you are making multiples. As Chris laid out in his recent post.

With that being said I still think that it is useful to have a repository of virtual parts that can be accessed by people all over. They can down load and modify the parts. Or add to the mother file for example going through the process of makeing the g-code. There are a lot of different machines out there and code has to be tailored to those particular machines. Still though I think it is a useful resource to have. Even if one does not plan to cnc the parts and manually machine them.

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Awesome, I'm interested to see what happens with these drawings.
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

Showcase1186
Approved Member

Post by Showcase1186 »

Very very cool!!! Draw some Detroit Masami arms and send me the files so I can have them made!!!! Oh yeah the front bulk head too!!! Masami for all!!!!!