A-Main Bullet Fwd 4ws RC10 conversion Tribute build

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Phin
Approved Member

Re: A-Main Bullet Fwd 4ws RC10 conversion Tribute build

Post by Phin »

GoMachV wrote:I wonder if they would make you run in 4wd :mrgreen:
If they try, ask why Mid-motor RWD buggies aren't pushed into a class they can't compete in since they have an advantage on certain tracks. Also bring up how there's now a B5 and a B5M....because it's okay now if you have to buy multiple cars to race different tracks. :P

pumpkinfish
Approved Member

Post by pumpkinfish »

GoMachV wrote:I wonder if they would make you run in 4wd :mrgreen:
Kits won't be a problem, but I'd like to know it works first! If you and limestang want early kits I can work on a couple but you'll have to help work out any kinks!
After doing a graphite Ten4 and an ARP back to back, kinks are no issue for me :lol:

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

John had me send him the pieces to build a bullet with a flat chassis and caster shims since we don't have kickup material (yet? :mrgreen: ) and just finished it up. He went with a stealth trans and brushless power. He sent a video and I just chopped it down a bit, it's definitely front heavy as it should be, and he says the steering is better than expected. It is also hard as heck to control lol. I'll update as he send more pics or videos. First Bullet I've ever seen run 8)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

[youtube]kdOJ1dGF10Y[/youtube]
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

JK Racing
Approved Member

Post by JK Racing »

I'm liking it....I'd attempt to race one :)
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

pumpkinfish
Approved Member

Post by pumpkinfish »

Thanks for posting Jeff. I approached this build trying to buy easily available parts. That being said, you will probably be better off buying a decent Optima roller with the Kyosho parts you need. I scoured ebay a good while for what I needed but some parts are just plain expensive. Now that the rere is hitting the streets, that may be changing as I haven't checked since I procured all the parts.

I think some of the handling issues I have may be caused by using the Dubro 4-40 eyelets. The turnbuckles all have more extreme angles than we normally see with the market ready buggies and I think this is causing the Dubro eyelets to bind. I was having a hard time getting the endlinks to operate smoothly and tried getting some of the angles smoothed out.

That being said, Jeff and I both experienced some weird bump steer issues in the rear steering. I have been trying to minimize it, but it still exists. I was glad to see the survivor car that Jeff has exhibits the same so I can rule out the dubro endlinks binding.

As for the jumping, it is definitely weird and takes some getting used to it. I want to get the body painted and mounted and get on an actual track and not plastic skateboard ramps to see how it handles. It is fun to whip around, I will say that.

Hopefully I can find some decent priced rere Optima ball links and try them. I think with a little finessing this could be a fun vehicle to drive. I am also going to design a 3d printed battery tray as I don't like my lipo ziptied to the "battery tray". I don't want to chance it sliding out and causing issues.

pumpkinfish
Approved Member

Post by pumpkinfish »

Quick update to the project. I designed a shorty lipo cup. It's going to be tight on the vehicle but I was trying to keep it centered. Also had to include Mr. Graphite somewhere! :lol: Job is already processing at Shapeways, so we'll see how it fits when it gets here.
Attachments
tray.jpg
batterytray.jpg
closeupo.jpg

Farabomb
Approved Member

Post by Farabomb »

I think getting that A-Main email with all the vintage re-re's was either the best, or worst thing that has happened recently. I was still a bit pissed I missed the original RC10 re-release and seeing the worlds car on sale lit the fire again.

I forget just how many wacky conversions they had for RC10's. Oval kits, on-road, trailing arm kits seemed real popular when the JRX2 pro was released but I don't remember ever seeing this monstrosity before. I say that as a term of endearment, I've always been about the misfits.

You do amazing work. Makes me want to tear through my box 'o old parts and see what I can think up. Though, to get to this level of off kilter thinking I may have to soruce some hallucinogens.
When in doubt, throttle out. It may not help the situation but it will end the suspense

RC: Org RC10 ReRe RC10 Worlds RC18T RC18B RC18R SCX10 Wraith MREV T-Maxx Subaru Brat Blackfoot QX180 ProtoX PFV and Nano

Crewchief for AZPInstalls BRZ PTD racecar

pumpkinfish
Approved Member

Post by pumpkinfish »

Now that little league and my vacation is over, I had time to work on the Bullet. I made a delrin bumper, the 3d printed battery tray arrived and got the body mounted. Just need to work on getting the wing wire bent correctly. The stock camber setting are way extreme :lol:

Almost time to race it!!!
Attachments
13288520_1128389977202050_1880267198_o.jpg
13287920_1128389923868722_1163991770_o.jpg
13324134_1128389917202056_749772601_o.jpg
13321063_1128023093905405_53992479_o.jpg
13287882_1128023260572055_293411246_o.jpg
13288173_1128023543905360_975410742_o.jpg

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

I was able to contact Kelly, a fellow that had the remaining bullet parts from when Mike passed away. The bad news is there wasn't much left. I got to take some pics of some of his used pieces but one small piece of chassis material was all that was left. The good news is- I now have the tool to form the chassis :shock:

I'll get some pics of the toll/mold when I get home. For now, here are a few pics of his goodies. I've never seen a 6 gear case lightened. It's pretty killer!
Attachments
IMG_8119.JPG
IMG_8118.JPG
IMG_8117.JPG
IMG_8112.JPG
IMG_8110.JPG
IMG_8109.JPG
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

pumpkinfish
Approved Member

Post by pumpkinfish »

That is some cool stuff. I would love to have the proper chassis. I could then design a proper front bumper 😋

I now want to lighten a 6 gear case.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

:shock:

It looks like the trans case (and front arm mounts) might have been shaved down to move the trans forward on the chassis. He might have needed to reposition the transmission because the longer arms would change the angle of the dogbones. I wonder which dogbones were used with the Andy's arms.

That's the second chassis now that's turned up cut like that. Maybe chassis flex was used as a tunning aid.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

He said they cut them out and also cut the rear out on some. So mine matches his cuts. Crazy. He verified flat was first, and had a chassis that had the nose cut off and a piece of angled chassis material wedged in holding it together. Running changes were common haha

He verified there were dirt oval/on road versions too.

I have him this link, hopefully he will step in here and speak :mrgreen:

Btw, apparently Mike was working on a 4wd version based on a radiant. You can see the ultima arms on the "front" with optima carriers and the radio tray up on top :shock: wild
Attachments
IMG_8116.JPG
IMG_8115.JPG
IMG_8114.JPG
Factory Works website

vandal
Approved Member

Post by vandal »

heyo all! met gomachv today :) was quite a kool hour :) he got lucky as im usually at work but came home for a dentist appointment! anyhoo back in the day i knew mike hendricson the desiner of the bullet and was a factory racer for a-main racing!. when he passed i ended up with the leftovers from the bullet . it was a very rocky road half the people wanted the car banned the other half loved it :) gave gomachv the chassis mold and some other little parts so he can make carbon chassis :) also after he left i found the templates for chassis holes :) i havent raced in awhile but after talkin today its ignited the spark agin :) i think its awesome someone went to all the trouble to re-create this car! good job! vandal aka "kelly"

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Good seeing you here Kelly! We love info, so if anything pops in your head that we didn't think of, feel free to let us know. It's great to have the knowledge from those that ran them
Factory Works website

vandal
Approved Member

Post by vandal »

oh and btw thats the radio tray not battery location he used "saddle" packs on a mount thats not in pic :) V