Vsefiream's OIN build on a budget

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

vsefiream
Approved Member

Vsefiream's OIN build on a budget

Post by vsefiream »

Until I joined this forum, I had never seen or heard about the wide arm build known very well here as OIN. After watching a bunch of OIN builds and reading the thread, I feel the need to build my own. I have a small rc budget so I'm going to use whatever I have on hand and try to spend as little as possible. Upgrades can always come later. I'm paying close attention to the "recipies" that work without too much fuss. So far I have spent $44 on the Klein arms and $15 on a new set of RPM 70272 RC10 GT rear carriers for 1/2" bearings. I'll double check but I think I'll need to get the B44 CVDs, some spacers and bearings to complete the rear. Up front I'm debating between original or B4 blocks and hubs. It may be easier to get the 25 degree blocks from a B4 and then use the T4 front axles. I plan on running Rulux wheels and a Reedy brushless system. I'll post up my parts list when I'm not on mobile.

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Re: Vsefiream's OIN build on a budget

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Lookin' good so far!
I plan on running Relux wheels and a Reedy brushless system.
Skip it. I love AE, but after a couple of rounds with the Reedy stuff, I'll take a pass. Motors are OK, but there are cheaper, better ESCs out there if you're on a budget. Take a look at Hobbywing. I have replaced all but one of my Reedy ESCs with Hobbywing, much improved in every respect.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

vsefiream
Approved Member

Post by vsefiream »

Thanks duece. I read somewhere, maybe in one of askbob's threads, that the Reedy combos are not the best. I'm partial to the Reedy name though if for no other reason than the Associated/Reedy history. I see one here in the BST section for $65 shipped, doesn't sound too bad for that price but it's a high KV.
A local guy is selling the Hobby Wing and Hobby King stuff for fair prices, I'll be sure to talk to him and take a look at Hobby King's site.

I had plans of getting this car built then tearing it apart to get the aluminum parts custom annodized. BUT, now that I see it in black and white, I am really liking the simplicity of this car. It also helps with the budget theme of this build.

As far as bodies go, I like the Stealth body from TBG. I've seen it on Ebay and thought nothing of it until GoMachv put one on his car. I never knew how slammed it was. Part of the reason I went with the RC10T rear tower was for that body, and the fact that I had one sitting here didn't hurt either. I should be able to mount the body low between the upswept arms a lot like a newer buggy. I'm still shopping around for bodies but the Stealth is looking like it may be the one for this car.

For wheels I plan on using the white Rulux wheels from Jconcepts with Proline Holeshot tires. I really like the holeshots, they're like velcro to the carpet.

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

The stealth body is my favorite. Be aware, though, that running a 10T tower with a buggy body is going to subject the tower to a lot of abuse. Yours is the thicker variant, but still don't be surprised if you snap it off.

And again, nothing wrong with the Reedy motors, but I feel that their ESCs leave a lot to be desired. Honestly, they are probably the crappiest OEM speed controls of any reputable brand. They are coggy, and barely tuneable. You can't adjust proportional braking at all within the ESC, have to use a TX with good exponential adjustment (which the XP3SSi they include with RTR kits doesn't have). I'd even take Traxxas Velineon over Reedy, and I am no fan of TRX. My Prolite became a whole new truck with the Beeman X8 150A ESC. In my Warthog desert buggy, I'm pushing the Reedy 550SL 3,500 KV motor with a Dynamite 150A ESC, and it was also a night-and-day difference from the AE XP SC1200BL.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

vsefiream
Approved Member

Post by vsefiream »

Its been a while since I updated this thread, Ive since picked up the remaining parts to complete this build. I have changed everything to black with the exception of the A arms, I really like the look so far. The towers will probably get changed in the near future. I am determined to complete this car and run it on the outdoor track tomorrow night. This WOIN build will be my outdoor car and my CC/RPM worlds car will be used only on the indoor carpet track. Theres a few things left to do; work the arms for free movement, rebuild shocks, adjust alignments, glue tires, install electronics from the CC/RPM car and test it. I have a backup body for now but I have some paint ideas in mind for a new body.
Anyhow, here it is;

I can't wait to get it on the track tomorrow!

MetalMilitia
Approved Member

Post by MetalMilitia »

Good looking buggy! Good luck on getting it out there. Love seeing these vintage cars rubbing elbows with the newest on the market.

frgna
Approved Member

Post by frgna »

Looking similar to mine, we should race them as brothers once they're built! Reminds me I need to get back to the workbench...

frgna
Approved Member

Post by frgna »

vsefiream
Approved Member

Post by vsefiream »

Finished version ran very well tonight. Still a lot to sort out but a solid start so far. I really liked this car on the clay 1/8 scale track. There are some big jumps and this car handles them well! My son Justin and I both raced our RC10s. Its cool the interest/surprise that they generate!

vsefiream
Approved Member

Post by vsefiream »

Looks great FRGNA!
I was very happy with the overall performance of this car! Maybe even more happy with this car than my CC/RPM worlds car. The funny thing is the RPM ball cups pop off very easy in a minor tunble and are very difficult to reattach just like the ones on my CC/RPM car! I am so done with RPM ball cups! I will be ordering up the yellow Dubro HD ball links:

I'll be using them on the steering of all my cars shortly. I know this will move the stresses of a crash elsewhere but we will see how that plays out later.

The next addition will be a 17.5 brushless system, Probably a Hobby Wing system and better towers, maybe the same ones my CC/RPM car has if Aaron has any left