Orange Rollcage RC10 long-arm build

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

flipwils11
Approved Member

Orange Rollcage RC10 long-arm build

Post by flipwils11 »

I had the idea to not just build the rollcage I got from optiman into a "normal" RC10 short, or extended arm buggy. I wanted to go a bit extreme, and Vintage AE's build was part of my inspiration including the long RPM arms and overall look of his.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?p=96248#p96248

This is all I have so far, and would welcome input on selecting some long shocks and a few other parts. I'm thinking I can use the 10T front bulkhead and it might clear under the rollcage front nose tubes. If not I can cut it down a bit. I need to figure out a long front shock tower that will work, and select some long travel shocks to work with the RPM 10T arms. Ditto for the rear shocks to work with the 10T arms, would that be 1.32's in the front and something in the rear that's longer (like ???).

What front carriers should I use, just 10T standard ones? And for the rear any suggestions on universal shafts?

I'll probably have more questions as I get further in, like tire and wheel choice. I intend to use some truck tires and wheels, hopefully modern so there are some readily available options.

I want to use a fairly high powered brushless setup in it with something to protect the electronics from dirt and sand if I can figure that out. Those traxxas receiver boxes are pretty handy.

adam lancia
Approved Member

Re: Orange Rollcage RC10 long-arm build

Post by adam lancia »

For shocks, I'd say you could use the non-big bore 8th scale shocks and current 10th scale big bore springs to get a super long travel shock package. See if you can find an A&L front truck tower, that should clear around the sides of the cage and from memory, they were for a 1.32 stroke shock so they should work with the 8th scale shocks. You might need someone to draw up a custom tower for the rear, depending on the shocks you use. This has the makings of a super cool build, I'll be following along fellow Adam :D

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

you are effectively building a truck with the cage chassis. So any parts you would use for the 10t would be perfect, including shocks and towers, universals and front carriers. The rear arm mounts you have won't work, you just need standard arm mounts, those you have look like the rpm t2 or rc10gt, which are different, at least, that's what they look like to me.

as for the nose, I think you might be able to just use a truck nose, and possibly just have to shorten the nose tubes to line up with the bulkhead.

worst case, you could take a buggy nose plate, and trim out the mount area so that it fits a truck bulkhead and retain the nose tub mounting area. Someone here on the board has done a similar thing to narrow up the nose plate.

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

Heh, I think you're referencing my WOIN yellow build with the buggy nose that was trimmed so I could use the truck bulkhead and retain the nose tubes. :)

I was thinking of doing a similar approach on this one, since I'm not concerned about legal width of the arms or anything. On the rear arm mounts, they are RPM RC10GT, which I took a gamble on, but it looks like the holes line up with the chassis? Is there another part of their fitment or the caster or toe-in that won't work?

I agree on the front tower, I was thinking that enormous A&L front version was what I wanted. I don't want to do the RC10T tower. I was going to ask Jeff (jay dub) for help to do something custom.

So standard front 10T carriers are the ticket, 10T axles as well front and rear? Sorry for all the newb questions but I'm not familiar with the trucks.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I think the gt mounts will put the arms too far forward on the chassis.

the trucks are basically buggies with larger arms and dogbones, and wider towers to accommodate the wider arms. that's pretty much it.

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

Those nose tube mounts are damn cool.

Re: tire choice, want to make sure I don't get the wrong axles, do the trucks have the same "old is new" modifications track that the buggies do (i.e. 2.2 tires on a buggy)? If I wanted to run something like Proline Trenchers for example, does that require some modern wheels that won't fit the original 10T front and rear axles?

Maybe this thread should get dragged over to the truck section. :)

losiXXXman
Approved Member

Post by losiXXXman »

OG truck wheels are the same dimension as new school for tires... 2.2 diameter by 2.something wide.

adam lancia
Approved Member

Post by adam lancia »

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

Thanks, I wish there was a cheaper way to get one since I just want jay dub to make it for me and customize a bit.

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Looking at that chassis and those parts makes me envious - This is going to be an awesome build.
Gone fishing