'91 WC Stealth vs B4

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

edwin pibal
Approved Member

Re: '91 WC Stealth vs B4

Post by edwin pibal »

just take my money now!

ed
Hi, my name is Ed, and im a addict.

tiger1
Approved Member

Post by tiger1 »

take my money too!

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

gomachv: I'm sure ours are very close to each other but I doubt they are absolutely identical.

I don't want everyone to get too excited and then be disappointed. At this time I'm trying to get everything figured out and modeled. I am not creating molds for them and have no intention of building these myself. jbmeyer13 provided some dimensions for the arm based on what he measured and I've figured a few things out. The end goal is to build a replica but most likely by having it 3D printed. I've got the rear geometry mostly figured out but still need to work out the front. The front bulkhead and steering components especially. I'll be out of town in two weeks so I won't be able to work on this while I'm gone. I'm also modeling these up at work which doesn't leave me a lot of time. If I can get a '91 car done, I'll go back to do the '89 car too but it's a bit early to worry about that.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

Bulkhead work just starting so it's just a flat piece right now. Here's a front assembly with both arms.
Attachments
91STEALTHFRONT.jpg

jbmeyer13
Approved Member

Post by jbmeyer13 »

fredswain wrote:gomachv: I'm sure ours are very close to each other but I doubt they are absolutely identical.

I don't want everyone to get too excited and then be disappointed. At this time I'm trying to get everything figured out and modeled. I am not creating molds for them and have no intention of building these myself. jbmeyer13 provided some dimensions for the arm based on what he measured and I've figured a few things out. The end goal is to build a replica but most likely by having it 3D printed. I've got the rear geometry mostly figured out but still need to work out the front. The front bulkhead and steering components especially. I'll be out of town in two weeks so I won't be able to work on this while I'm gone. I'm also modeling these up at work which doesn't leave me a lot of time. If I can get a '91 car done, I'll go back to do the '89 car too but it's a bit early to worry about that.
I asked steve for some additional photos of certain parts that will hopefully make it easier to determine how to model them. Fred did a bang up job converting my 2D drawing into a 3D model. I'm working on the rear arm diagram now. It's basically a shorter version of the 10T arm.

The part that is especially tricky when creating the 3D model is replicating the subtle details in the components. Fred's ability to improvise has been crucial.

Long way to go but the progress has been really exciting thus far :mrgreen:

edwin pibal
Approved Member

Post by edwin pibal »

Can I pay now and wait a year or so for the bits to arrive!

:mrgreen:

ed

jbmeyer13
Approved Member

Post by jbmeyer13 »

edwin pibal wrote:Can I pay now and wait a year or so for the bits to arrive!

:mrgreen:

ed
Patience 8)

I finished up the 2D dimensional diagram for the rear A-arm and block but Fred is swamped at work so it will be a couple of weeks before the 3D model's can be completed.

It's important we get this right and there's a lot of subtle details to cover. Things like determining the c-block/steering geometry, finding the same posts that bind the upper and lower deck together, etc. :wink:

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

I'm doing this with Creo 2.0 at work. It is just getting squeezed in here and there. I have Inventor on a laptop at home but there are couple of reasons why I'm not doing these parts there instead. One is that we have a 15 month old running around. He requires lots of attention and loves power cords. I could work on it when he goes to bed but that leads to problem number two. Creo and Inventor are so different from each other that my mind is wired to use Creo now. Inventor looks like a different language to me now even though I've probably got 7 or 8 years of experience with it. It's just difficult to use right now. I may take it up there later. At the very least I'll create drawings with dimensions so I can redraw it anywhere later.

I'm going out of town this Saturday through the following Saturday so I won't touch this again until I get back.

edwin pibal
Approved Member

Post by edwin pibal »

ive waited since 91 for a replica stealth car.

a bit longer wont kill me 8)

ed

jbmeyer13
Approved Member

Post by jbmeyer13 »

I finished up my 2D diagram of the upper deck last night and have been working on the main chassis. It's similar to the Comp Craft version but their are distinct differences. The more I study the car and realize what they did it becomes more clear why they didn't release it. There is significant material removed from the rear bulkhead/shock tower mount and the structural integrity may be compromised to a degree. A lot of material is shaved from the bottom (which serves as the rear battery cup holder on a normal car), hence the additional half battery cup that was added. This does shift the weight of the battery forward and I'm sure that helped with handling on that Detroit track.

I also realize how they cut the bottom of the chassis. The slots in the rear have an interesting configuration and getting correct measurements is no easy task.

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

The hole configuration in the chassis at the rear is easy. Use the two standard inside holes on the rear bulkhead that are normally unused. Use the stealth gearbox holes. For the rear arms use the standard locations but make them smaller 4-40 sized. The width of the chassis at the rear stays the same. Slots just get cutout for arm clearance.

jbmeyer13
Approved Member

Post by jbmeyer13 »

Just want throw out a huge appreciation to Steve Husting!! Steve was kind enough to send me some additional close up shots to help refine various details of our all-time favorite 2WD buggy. Short of being able to take actual measurements of the car directly; these new shots should really help to ensure optimal accuracy.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

If you are making a reproduction kit for future sales? I would like to put my name down for one!

jbmeyer13
Approved Member

Post by jbmeyer13 »

Here's some scaled 2D drawings cut out and overlaid. Includes the upper and lower deck, suspension arms and rear mounting blocks. Fred will need to convert this to 3D CAD models with the hope that we can have complete chassis, shock towers and suspension arm set up by early fall. The steering linkage/servo saver and c-blocks will take additional time and likely be the last thing to ensure both accuracy and real world drivability.

Please note that the front kick up plate is longer; it was drawn as if it were kicked up.

jbmeyer13
Approved Member

Post by jbmeyer13 »

slotcarrod wrote:If you are making a reproduction kit for future sales? I would like to put my name down for one!
Lets hope so! Doesn't look like Associated has any intention of releasing a tribute kit. With modern technology it can be done, the trick will be keeping the cost down :wink: