RC-10 yard-sale find!

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

UserUnrelated
Approved Member

RC-10 yard-sale find!

Post by UserUnrelated »

hooooo boy was I excited to purchase this!
Sitting in the driveway, looking ever so serene, and unfettered, sat this beautiful box, and that of a Wild Willy.
I eagerly snatched both up for $50 each, and came home to brag about my find online :lol:

But really...

The RC10 remained (until today) one of those RC's that I REALLY wanted to own, simply because of it's seniority, and status in the world of RC. I came VERY close to buying a re-re to satisfy myself, but I decided against it, I wanted to find a real oldie 6-gear of my own.

I got a lot of goodies in this box!
Not only did I get a lightly used RC-10 A-stamp Cadillac, but I also got the box, an unpainted body, wing, and driver, as well as some other NIB parts in the same condition that they came off the LHS shelf all those years ago! (And receipts with dates to prove it. This is an early model. It has the stick-on label on the side of the box, and there is a receipt in the box that reads December 17, 1987)

As with all my RC's, it really pains me to see things just sit on the shelf, but at the same time, I have SUCH a hard time bringing myself to drive some of these! (I've had a minty fresh XX-4 sitting on the shelf all summer... it's taunting me. :cry: )
I feel like this will probably turn into a light runner, since it already has some scratches on the chassis, and it really isn't TOO perfect... I know how to take care of my RC's, so it'll be in good hands :)
And what's the use of having a toy, and not being able to play with it!?!?
A good 27T motor (or 17.5T brushless, maybe?) would be plenty fun! I run a 17.5T in my 10T, and I can't get enough!

The right rear shock body anodizing is strangely light compared to the rest of the parts on the car. Interesting.

I remember hearing somewhere that the original rod-ends are hard to come by? Would it be worth my time to just snatch up some white RPM ends, put those on the car, and unload the TWO sets that I have? (one on the car, one NIB)

Enough blabber, onto the pics!

Every time I come back to this thread, my brain assumes it's someone else's car I am looking at! I am used to always being jealous of other people's finds hahaha. This one's MIIIIINE!
I have no idea what this number is. The un-pictured Airtronics transmitter had a similar (but different) number engraved on it too.

DaveM
Approved Member

Re: RC-10 yard-sale find!

Post by DaveM »

Hi UserUnrelated,

Nice find Dude, congratulations!

With my shelfers, I like to take them out the front of my house do a couple of laps or four and them

put them on the shelf again and I am very happy!

I really like seeing them come alive even if it is just for a short while, I hate seeing them dead on

the shelf, not having that chance to come alive.

I also always wanted to do a pin up board and put my NIP stuff on it just to look at them in their

glory, NIP :!:

Cheers, Dave.

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

THE numbers could be social security numbers from military guys .We used to put it on all our crap.Never did on my cars though.Don

85Edinger
Approved Member

Post by 85Edinger »

That's really nice, maybe too nice to run. Imo you should sell or trade it for something more beat up if you want a driver.
Great find!
. . . you have Associated Green Slime for brains. And not even new Green Slime, but old gooped out Green Slime.

UserUnrelated
Approved Member

Post by UserUnrelated »

When I say "runner", I don't mean something to treat like an every-day driver...
I'm definitely going to try my hardest to keep it in the exact condition it is in right now.
I want to at least put power to it, and give it the ability to move, and have some form of life.

Plus, I promised the man I bought it from (who doesn't live too far from me) that I would bring both of his cars to life (the RC10 and Wild Willy), and bring them back over so he can experience the joy of RC again for the first time in ~25 years :)

My 10T is a runner, and besides already having a bunch of scratches on the chassis, it looks pretty much the same as it did when I got it, just a little dirtier (which could easily be fixed)
I have plenty of other RC's to drive, but I want to be able to pick this up, and go putt around with it for a few minutes to get my fill.
If I ever come across a beat-up buggy, this will go to instant permanent shelf-queen status, but for now, I'm just going to be careful.
It's not going to get driven until next spring anyway, it's almost time for snow to start falling :roll:

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

Nice find! And it sounds like you have a similar attitude as me when it comes to the oldies: Air them out, but don't WEAR them out. It's enough fun to see a 25 year old car moving under its own power without treating it like some RTR toy.

Enjoy! But be careful: RC10s tend to multiply. I currently have 4, and I have sold 6 others over the past couple years. It just happens...

R Cane
Approved Member

Post by R Cane »

If that is a social security number, it was issued in Massachusetts between 1959 and 1961...just sayin'

UserUnrelated
Approved Member

Post by UserUnrelated »

markbt73 wrote:Nice find! And it sounds like you have a similar attitude as me when it comes to the oldies: Air them out, but don't WEAR them out. It's enough fun to see a 25 year old car moving under its own power without treating it like some RTR toy.

Enjoy! But be careful: RC10s tend to multiply. I currently have 4, and I have sold 6 others over the past couple years. It just happens...
Yeah, I've had a 10T for a while. It's been brooding there, just WAITING for a time to pop out a brother, or sister, or what-have-you...
I feel like it's only a matter of time until I have a stealth buggy to actually play with.

And then it is probably a SSN, because I am in New Hampshire, about a stone's throw from Mass. and the fellow I bought it from was certainly old enough for that to be his.