Closet find build

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MAC10
Approved Member

Closet find build

Post by MAC10 »

So I have a couple of old RC10s that my dad used to run back in the mid to late 80s. I remember I was obsessed with these things when I was a young kid and I always wanted one of my own. Years later my dad finally gave them to me and I hammered the running car around in front of the house for awhile before packing them away. That was nearly 20 years ago now I put them away. Over the past few years now I have got myself back into RC in the way of planes and helis. The old RC10s have been sitting on the shelf awhile now staring back at me and now I have the wild idea to get them rolling again. They are both 'A' stamp chassis, I just looked through the '25 years' thread and with some of the parts I have sitting around I think they are maybe early cadillac era? A few things I have are described as 'early' parts? I used to have a box but haven't seen it in years now.

Anyways I have a local indoor track nearby and my idea is to build one into a runner I could take to the track here and there for fun and run it around outside. The nicer chassis I could build into a shelf model using the best of the original parts I have? Usually I just read up on forums and make do with the info I find but with these I think it could be fun to post them up, plus I could use some opinions on what best to do with this stuff. I want to enjoy them but I don't want to abuse or use up anything that would be better left put away.

The best I know about the 'runner car': pan is scratched up pretty well, "Andy's" front longer arms, aluminum steering cranks, sides of pan were trimmed down by my dad back in the day, it has at least a couple of extra holes drilled for the servo. My main question right now with this is would it be a bad idea to drill it for a Stealth transmission? Looking at ebay prices it seems it would be alright to do so since this one is already modified. I would like to use a good amount of the stuff I already have for the chassis but my idea is to mount a stealth tranny, modern electronics and brushless, also I would like to be able to use new and available tires, both offroad and road tires I could drive it on the pavement with. It looks like the re-re parts give me some options to work with that weren't available before.

jwscab

Re: Closet find build

Post by jwscab »

yeah if the chassis has already been modified, sure, add a stealth if you'd like. i would only say not to modify something if it was a rare original unused item. plenty of gold tubs around, especially with the re-release parts available now.

MAC10
Approved Member

Post by MAC10 »

Both buggies
Attachments
P1010654.JPG

Vale
Approved Member

Post by Vale »

Both cars are looking really good!

The right one seems new to me!?? :shock: or barely used...

I would run the left one and build a shelfer with the right buggy :mrgreen:

MAC10
Approved Member

Post by MAC10 »

Thanks! That's what I'm thinking I'll do. The one on the right does have a few unused parts on it, I remember that pan sat in the box back in the day with a bunch of other parts but the bottom is scratched a bit. It may have been the first one my dad bought. I think he might have then bought the other kit to have spare parts and the ball bearing set... So here's a few more pictures for posterity before I strip the first one. I am going to focus on building the runner first so I can get rolling!
Attachments
P1010627.JPG
P1010623.JPG
P1010620.JPG
P1010619.JPG

mk-Zero
Business Member

Post by mk-Zero »

Cool cars, I wish the one I pulled out of my closet were that nice! :P

MAC10
Approved Member

Post by MAC10 »

Thanks! And nice bug! I've got a '63 in the garage. I intended to start replacing floorpans soon but I've been distracted with other tinkering lately....

Speaking of pans, can someone recommend the best ways to protect the underside of the gold pan? I'm not worried about cosmetic scratches as its decently scratched all ready, its seen its fair share of curb jumping. I'm mainly concerned with conserving the material of the pan and not grinding off anymore aluminum. The front will get some kind of bumper, I like that RPM shorty if I could find one. For the rest I've read of using a 3M hood protector or I see a "chassis protective sheet" 9787 on the AE site? I'm brainstorming maybe a lexan 'skidplate' for the rear where it sees major scuffing under the motor. Any other ideas?

Vale
Approved Member

Post by Vale »

MAC10 wrote:Thanks! And nice bug! I've got a '63 in the garage. I intended to start replacing floorpans soon but I've been distracted with other tinkering lately....

Speaking of pans, can someone recommend the best ways to protect the underside of the gold pan? I'm not worried about cosmetic scratches as its decently scratched all ready, its seen its fair share of curb jumping. I'm mainly concerned with conserving the material of the pan and not grinding off anymore aluminum. The front will get some kind of bumper, I like that RPM shorty if I could find one. For the rest I've read of using a 3M hood protector or I see a "chassis protective sheet" 9787 on the AE site? I'm brainstorming maybe a lexan 'skidplate' for the rear where it sees major scuffing under the motor. Any other ideas?
You could use a protective sheet or a TBG lexan undertray :) I think the undertray is the best solution... I'm gonna try one on my future runner.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TBG-FULL-LENGTH-UNDERTRAY-FOR-VINTAGE-RC10-RC-10-TUB-/150676712276?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item2315082b54

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TBG-UNDERTRAY-FOR-VINTAGE-RC10T-RC10-RC-10-10T-TUB-/150458404706?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item2308050f62

Cheers,
Daniel

MAC10
Approved Member

Post by MAC10 »

Bones
Attachments
P1010972.JPG
P1010974.JPG

Vale
Approved Member

Post by Vale »

MAC10 wrote:Bones

Oooh :shock: white andy's arms...do you want to install them on your runner?? I would not...they are rare, keep them save ;)

Looks nice so far :) new nose plate?

MAC10
Approved Member

Post by MAC10 »

Dern it, I was kind of hoping nobody would say that about the arms as I thought they would give it a bit of unique character! I like the way the white goes with the original look. The fronts were on the car and the rears I just found on ebay. Both pairs are pretty good and used though so I'll think about it, the pictures make em look pretty nice. It's true the black ones do seem to be more available though so that would be a bummer to break these. Maybe if I decide I'm really into the racing thing I'll build a Klein arm car.... The nose plate is the original, I'm not sure why the anodizing looks so much stronger. The bottom side tells the rest of the story!

MAC10
Approved Member

Post by MAC10 »

Getting anxious to start bolting things together but I'm still waiting on a couple bits and pieces.
Attachments
Bought some stainless 100 degree countersink screws for the front end but they don't fit very close to flush as they come.  The one on the right I've filed down the underside with the screw chucked in a drill.  I think I'm going to order a 100 degree countersink to fit these better and also to get the screws for the rear end to fit more flush.
Bought some stainless 100 degree countersink screws for the front end but they don't fit very close to flush as they come. The one on the right I've filed down the underside with the screw chucked in a drill. I think I'm going to order a 100 degree countersink to fit these better and also to get the screws for the rear end to fit more flush.
P1011008.JPG

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

And he's hooked. He gone

MAC10
Approved Member

Post by MAC10 »

Haaa! I'm afraid you could be right...

The Gweed

Post by The Gweed »

Great looking "a" chassis. You don't find those in your closet everyday. That red twister motor was the "deal" back in the day sure brings back memories..