gold pan Autism Awareness build thread

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...
artfull dodger
Approved Member

gold pan Autism Awareness build thread

Post by artfull dodger »

I am getting ready to build up a second gold pan RC10 to actualy race at the local tracks. Being that I have a form of Autism, I plan to have the body painted in the rainbow jig saw puzzle style of the Autism Awareness movement. I struggle a lot with making and keeping friends, and have since I was a child. I am hoping that getting back into the local race scene, that I can find some new friends to hang out with. I put an ad on craigslist for a gold pan and found one with some extra parts for under $100. It will need a few parts, it was converted to a truck style body years ago, I will be going back to a normal buggy body. I am having Fatty Graphxs handle the complex body paint job. Everything will be retro, brushed motor (AE or Trinity), Futaba, Novak or Tekin ESC and 75mhz radio. I may share the radio with my shelf queen since I wouldn't be running both of them at the same time, so just put the same crystal in each car. Not going out to win, just to have fun. I have run my restored box art gold pan with its 75mhz radio without any issues since everybody else has gone to 2.4ghz now. Once and awhile there will be someone else on that frequency at a race though. I will post some pics of the chassis shortly and my progress as I move forward. Mike
Silly NT's, I have Aspergers!

bully
Approved Member

Re: gold pan Autism Awareness build thread

Post by bully »

Good work dodger mate,best of luck with your racing in the future.

artfull dodger
Approved Member

Post by artfull dodger »

Thanks Bully. I need an opinion on a motor I have. In taking apart the car I bought, one of the 2 transmissions has a motor with it. Its a Speedworks Tony Neisinger signature edition. Is this a good motor? I know he was a big name driver back in the day. But thats all I know, was to young to remember much else about him. Of the two 6 gear transmissions I have, 1 has ball bearings, other is all bushings. So its obvious which one I will use. I do need to locate the plate that braces the transmission to the rear shock tower. The car was converted to a truggy body with different body mounts, which I have now removed to return the car to buggy styling. Mike

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

The Nessinger was a hot motor in its day, I wanna say around a 14t. Should be plenty fun!
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

artfull dodger
Approved Member

Post by artfull dodger »

Awsome, I cleaned it up and installed it. Even the decal on the motor case is perfect. Steering servo is a vintage Futaba FP-S148. The car still had a mechanical speed control in it, with the resistor mounted on the rear behind the motor. Wasnt even a variable unit, had low and high speed in forward and reverse. Bet that was fun to control back in the day! The pan is an "A" stamp. I got the front suspension restored to factory spec. Had wider control arms for the truck body set up it was running for the PO. I almost have enough parts to build another gold pan, just short the main pan. I got a spare tail piece and nose piece. She is starting to look like a proper RC10 again. Mike

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

Sounds like someone swapped in a different speed control. The original was a green variable resistor with no reverse

That's a pretty hot motor for a mechanical speed control...I would look for a stock motor or a better speed contol personally
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

artfull dodger
Approved Member

Post by artfull dodger »

Oh that speed control is history. No mechanical speed control in my cars. I will put a spare Futaba ESC in it tomorrow. Mike

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

thats a little hot for a futaba also, unless its a 111b, or a 310cb I think those can handle it. A 112b or a 210 is pushing it
Factory Works website

artfull dodger
Approved Member

Post by artfull dodger »

So what is a good vintage ESC to handle this hot motor? Something from the old Novak line maybe? The Futaba I have is a MC 111B. This is also just a motor I happen to have on hand. I am open to changing it. But if I can use it to race, and its got some punch to it, then I will try to make it work. I run Onyx 5000mah Nimh batteries if that matters at all. Mike

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

111 should handle it but if you have a novak....any novak...it will handle it better and be more efficient!
Factory Works website

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

If you're racing and don't need reverse, a Novak Explorer might fit the bill. It has the classic Novak orange case and purple heat sinks, but it's high-frequency and has the one touch setup. Pretty cheap, too, because they're in that "not really vintage, just old" age range.

I can't wait to see the paint job. Should look really cool, and definitely stand out on the track. And educate some folks along the way, as well.

RC10Eh
Approved Member

Post by RC10Eh »

I like what your doing here Mike . The car is coming along nice . I too am looking forward to the paint scheme ;)

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Great idea, I can't wait to see the painted body as well!

artfull dodger
Approved Member

Post by artfull dodger »

Just got home from the Indy RC hobby shop. My friend got me a new body and wing (on order), along with re re front rims and tires. So she will have reissue front and rear tires and rims. The body and wing will be here next week. Hope to get them off to the painter before Christmas, depending on getting the $$ together. I traded the old truggy mounts to my friend, he wants to put a Proline Dodge Ram body on one of his spare gold pans. Thanks for the great support. Mike

artfull dodger
Approved Member

Post by artfull dodger »

Havent forgotten you guys, life has been a bit crazy for my wife and I lately. Found out around Thanksgiving that her father has stage 4 lung cancer along with horrible COPD. So we have been driving home to Erie, PA every chance we can. Along with a real slow down at my job making any extra spending a no no! I have the chassis mostly rebuilt. I went thru the transmission and cleaned it up, replaced any bearings that were suspect. I have repop rims and knobby tires on the rear and original rims and rib tires on the front. Body is on hand and ready to send to the painter as soon as funds will allow that. A big thanks members here that contributed to the build. I will get her done, work is picking up now and I am hoping to have it done before Autism Awareness month in April. Keeping my fingers crossed! MIke