- '91 Stealth Masami replica -

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Asso_man!
Approved Member

- '91 Stealth Masami replica -

Post by Asso_man! »

Here we go!

First of all I would like to warmly thank Jake and Nikki for their awesome research and very dedicated work and telented craftmanship that made this (and many others) build thread possible. Like mentioned earlier, you guys are costing me a fortune, but it's all good and beyond as I would never ever have imagined seeing one of these cars in person, owning one (at least an as-close-as-possible replica) is a dream coming to reality. So thank you for making this happening, you guys ROCK big time!

The kit from Jake is really top notch quality and mimics perfectly the original chassis (not sure I will be able to bring myself to break the top deck :mrgreen: ).

NIX parts are really fantastic as well, I was able to order the complete kit when it was still available and will use the non-ball raced version of the steering bellcranks.
NIX parts will also get died (probably with Nespresso coffee, they deserve some luxury :lol: ) as soon as I can dedicate more time to the build.

So my plan here is to slowly collect and build a Masami replica up to the latest detail while using a minimal amount of re-re parts to stay as faithful as possible to the original. Obviously this will take a long time before I can collect all teh right parts and I will hence use parts that are close to the OE ones until I can source the correct ones. A few ones will be tough to find of course, the Yokomo ZD-107 WCS wing mounts, white Yokomo pre-load shock clips and 2.15" black Yok rims come to mind.

That being said I went down to the mancave yesterday and came back with a few hard-to-find parts already, many of them I had totally forgotten about! The true gems being the correct KO Propo PS-1001 FET servo, a pair of rear Yokomo copper springs and a bag of RPM white pre-load clips that will do the trick until I can find the Yokie ones.
I also found Team Suzuki rear adapters that will do until I can find back the Yokie TH-1 ones. I know I also have the correct TR-32 tires somewhere but need to source the front TF-330.
As you can see below I do have the TQ fron wheels and until I can find a pair of black ZC-825 rims, I will use a pair of pink ZC-835 of which I will trim the outer lips, drill holes and then die black.

Regarding electronics, I'm still unsure about the exact motor used by Masami, most probably either a T (11x3) or a M (13x2). The servo is the one mentioned above, but have no clue so far about the receiver and ESC. Investigation is going on.

I also placed a massive order for hardware yesterday that should arrive in the next weeks or so.

Let the picture talk for now...

Made a test fit of the top deck and front bulkhead as I noticed the three front holes in the kick-up were not exactly centered and was afraid of misalignment, but in the end eveything seems to be fine, like mentioned in another thread I really don't see the need to chamfer the top deck. I didn't notice any major stress and first positionned all the screws then screwed them all one by one.

Such a fast and torquy servo for its era!

Minisforever
Approved Member

Re: - '91 Stealth Masami replica -

Post by Minisforever »

Subscribed! My plan was to break top brace too and since I live 45 mins away from freedom hill (91detroit worlds) I was planning on running it in the dirt there too. Track long gone but the dirt Is still there. I think it would be cool to have the same dirt on wheels and all. 8) Anyways looking forward to your build, your stuff is always top notch.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Masami used an M1c, the early one without the fuse. I would assume the receiver would be KO, but it was in a lexan case so it may be tough to identify. From pics i've seen, it seems like the plugs go in from the end. So i would say maybe a 285A, but that's just a guess.

It's good you already have one of those servos, you don't see them come up for sale very often.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Minisforever wrote:Subscribed! My plan was to break top brace too and since I live 45 mins away from freedom hill (91detroit worlds) I was planning on running it in the dirt there too. Track long gone but the dirt Is still there. I think it would be cool to have the same dirt on wheels and all. 8) Anyways looking forward to your build, your stuff is always top notch.
That's a pretty cool idea to source period correct dirt, could you send me pack through the mail? :lol:
scr8p wrote:Masami used an M1c, the early one without the fuse. I would assume the receiver would be KO, but it was in a lexan case so it may be tough to identify. From pics i've seen, it seems like the plugs go in from the end. So i would say maybe a 285A, but that's just a guess.

It's good you already have one of those servos, you don't see them come up for sale very often.
Thanks for the info Jason, I'll keep an eye open. Private investigation going on!

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

Today I made some baby steps by sourcing more parts from the stash, had to really dig deep to find the following missing parts:
- front copper springs
- TH-1 rear adapters
- Reedy Mr. R's
- white nylon nuts for the rear axles
- a full lightly used set of the correct ball cups (the ones with a small hex portion)
- early Stealth gear cover without the ribs

I also died all the Shapeways parts in coffee and left the steering parts apart. Worked great!

While test fitting the steering rack I noticed the right bellcrank is a tad higher that the left one (see picture below). I will solve the problem by adding a few shims on top of the nut that attaches the steering post to the chassis.

I will need to buy a reamer for the king pins, does anyone know where to source one?

It's very convenient to have the Stealth bible at hand for reference 8)

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Nice build as usual! 8)

Even though the Mr R is not the correct motor, it will look perfect with the Mr R sticker removed. From what I have noticed, none of the team AE guys that ran Reedy, have any Mr labels. Mike Reedy used 3 digit numbers to keep track of each drivers motors. This was written in black Sharpie on a small white sticker. Though not 100% sure, I feel the three digit number was the same given by IFMAR to each chassis during tech. I think Masami would have been #304.

Watching keenly! 8)

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

slotcarrod wrote:Nice build as usual! 8)

Even though the Mr R is not the correct motor, it will look perfect with the Mr R sticker removed. From what I have noticed, none of the team AE guys that ran Reedy, have any Mr labels. Mike Reedy used 3 digit numbers to keep track of each drivers motors. This was written in black Sharpie on a small white sticker. Though not 100% sure, I feel the three digit number was the same given by IFMAR to each chassis during tech. I think Masami would have been #304.

Watching keenly! 8)
Now that you mention that it definitely rings a bell about the numbers being written on the motors and corresponding to the different drivers. Masami's car was indeed #304, but do you know what kind of winding his motor had? From the onformation I could gather so far, two other 4x2 AE drivers used a T (11x3) or a M (13x2). I would think he used a 11x3, but it's just a guess...
I might take off the Mr. R's label then or leave it as is. There are anyway many tiny details that I won't be able to mimic 100%.

In teh meantime, I kept on working a bit on the parts preparation and made some slow progress. Was able to build the front shocks with the 1/8" inside spacer, piston 1 and 35 shock oil. The infamous Green Slime was of course at the party 8)
Then I used 4 Yokomo white spring rings (2 on each shock), the RPM pre-load clips (they will be replaced with Yokie ones eventually) and also added 1 internal square shock clip on each shock shaft. Sadly I don't have the early round ones that Masami used on his shocks but might consider buying the shock parts lot from Shapeways.

Then I also hacked a lightly used black motor plate and then filed and sanded the cut edge.

I also spent some time prepping the rear motor guard as it was only deanodized on the outer face.

Last but not least, I exchange PM's with Minisforever who advised me to use tea instead of coffee for yellowing the parts. I myself stopped the coffee process earlier as I could see the parts truning more brown than yellow. I might make a second attempt with tea instead. Stay tuned!

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Very nice work and attention to detail here. I have a feeling this one is going to turn out better then the one I built.

Jake

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

What motor did Masami run? Most likely an 11 triple (MrT), but it is possible he ran a custom 10 triple. :wink: :twisted:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Yesterday, I popped in the Gene Husting video that covered the 91 Worlds. In it, Mike Reedy is working on motors. Every motor in the tray he was working on had Mr. labels. Just throwing that out there....

Minisforever
Approved Member

Post by Minisforever »

hugger19
Approved Member

Post by hugger19 »

thats so cool to see the real car in action! loved it!!! 8)

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Minisforever wrote:http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=odYYjUk17IE

42 second mark.
Well that video contradicts what I was told. I wonder if the motors shown are for regular drivers? I noticed they had the 3 digits written in pen on the Reedy Ultra motor sticker. Did the top drivers have a separate white sticker?

Great information.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

One other thing I noticed is the end bell has the number written on the gold heat sink as well. Also, seems only one motor has a white label in Reedy's rack of motors.

Edit: I noticed Rory Cull and Craig Drescher both have hand written numbers on the Reedy Ultra sticker. So not sure who got the white labels?

In another photo on Gene's video, it clearly shows Chris Doseck putting sheets Mr stickers on the Ultra label. So who knows, and why change the Mr label? Maybe to throw off apposing teams? It's not like they were winding arms at the track! Would be nice if Ruffy was around to give some more insight!

BradR
Approved Member

Post by BradR »

The hand written numbers are probably just inventory numbers. For big events, Mike would bring boxes of blank motors and pre-wound armatures. Based on whatever worked, he would assemble race motors at the track. It made more sense than bringing hundreds of built motors, and only using a fraction of them. The additional white label probably had the driver's name on it.