New to the forums couple questions

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

smcleodvt

New to the forums couple questions

Post by smcleodvt »

How's it going everyone. I'm just getting back into RC Cars after a long bout with airplanes and I have decided to pull out my gold pan buggies and restore them. For the most part I think I have figured out everything BUT the wheel and tire issue. I see people doing a 12mm hex conversion but it looks tought to do the front wheels. Then I see a B4 conversion on team associated and a couple other places. Which is the best conversion and why? I've been out of the hobby for some time and have read a lot but I have no clue on the different wheels that are available now a days. I want to make sure that I don't limit myself based on my choice so I can have a good pick on wheel design without too much work on the chassis. Also what is the best. slip differential to use if converting to brushless?
Sorry for the long post. There are a lot of ideas out there so I'm trying to pin down to one or two options

Thanks
Shawn

jwscab

Re: New to then forums -wheel question

Post by jwscab »

lots and lots and LOTS of threads and info on wheels here. Bottom line, for today, you can:

run new champion tires that were supplied on the re-re on the factory jelly bean(3 piece, three kidney bean shaped hole, nylon, gold pan wheels). good option to just re-shoe an old gold pan.

jcracing of the UK offers bolt-on 5 spoke wheels in three colors for 2.2" tires(which are the easiest to find now). fronts are a bit narrow but work fine.

associated offers B4 front wheels and rear 2.2" rear wheels for the re-released worlds car that use a 3/16" axle, so you need to convert the rear axles(or cvd), bearings and/or hub carriers to use 3/16" axle OD. the b4 wheels are a little wonky because of deeper offset, so to compensate, you can use the rc10gt front axles which are wider. people have experienced 'off' handling with this setup, though in theory it's still a neutral offset, but I digress.

if you have 2.0/2.1" wheels, traxxas and losi still offer some tire options but very limited.

those are simply the easiest options.

smcleodvt

Re: New to the forums couple questions

Post by smcleodvt »

Sounds like jc racing is the way to go and easier without a lot of conversion. I'll order a set and see how they work

Thank you

popboy905
Approved Member

Post by popboy905 »

I would use the 2.2 wheels that come on the world rerelease there is also a 2.2 wheel conversion for the rear if u are using dog bones. For the front use the wide axle conversion kit

Asc6801: http://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/6801/
Asc6802: http://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/6802/

Option 2 use jc racing 5 spoke 2.2 wheels but u have to order them from the uk

Option 3 if your car is the short arm 6gear jconcepts hazard 1.9 fronts and 1.7. Rears but your tire options are limited

If u have the six gear tranny ur can still use a brushless set up, but i wouldn't run more then a 10.5

smcleodvt

Post by smcleodvt »

Nice. Glad they provide the link for the wheels that work with the conversion on the website. Hope to get into them next weekend once I get back in town. I have a few A pan and I bought a couple off of eBay just to have spare parts since I got a good price on them.
I'll worry about the motor and esc soon. One of the has the 6gear tranny. Not sure about the other. Still in my junk box. Lol

Shawn

smcleodvt

Post by smcleodvt »

Order some jc racing wheels and then the chassis I found on eBay for cheap already had a set as well. Just can't decide whether to go brushless or stay brushed

LemonC
Approved Member

Post by LemonC »

You can also just buy some jconcepts hazard wheels (as suggested by popboy905) and tires made for the rc10 (no mods nec with original equip). Thats what i did. i dont drive it very much (finishing up some upgrades right now actually) but they seem to be ok for my purposes. I just installed the jconcepts alum steering upgrade a few days ago, got a reedy radon 17t brushed and new HKing brushed esc w lipo cut-off waiting for install completion. :D

http://www.amain.com/jconcepts-hazard-19-rc10-front-wheel-white-2/p271208?utm_source=Google-Base&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Product-Feeds&gclid=CMKz8oOSgMMCFQUSMwodeh8AxQ

http://www.amain.com/jconcepts-hazard-17-rc10-rear-wheel-white-2/p271211

http://www.amain.com/jconcepts-double-dees-17-rear-buggy-tire-green-2/p271206

http://www.amain.com/jconcepts-rips-19-front-buggy-tire-green-2/p271205

smcleodvt

Post by smcleodvt »

Thank you as well. Ordered some Traxxas anaconda tires for my jc racing wheels. Pretty pumped