A stamp JG oval conversion

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Re: A stamp JG oval conversion

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

knucklebuster wrote:Thanks Mike. I have been watching the Ford for days :lol: I am a Ford guy but the Chevy modified looks better :mrgreen:
Who's Mike? :lol: I like both Fords and Chevys. My father was a diehard Chevy man so I naturally picked it up from him.

Don

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

jwscab wrote:this car is beautiful. nice work.

Thanks! Hopefully I can get the electronics sorted out this weekend. Hard for me to do anything during the week with my crazy schedule.

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

fredswain wrote:
PlastiZapCA+ wrote:
knucklebuster wrote:I have to say your first RC10 build is turning out great! You set the bar very high :D

I have been looking for that style body for some time now... any leads?
Thanks man! Eight Bolink Probes are still available on e-Bay. The price is not bad for a body that is rarely seen. I paid about the same for the Cavalier and might pick up one of these too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191541601092?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2661&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
That's my listing. I've actually got over 50 of those bodies!
Awesome! I'm going to pick one those up from you soon along with your lowering kit from Shapeways. I've already got some parts picked out for a runner build.

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

Wow, you just made my day! :shock: I wish they had a bigger picture of that car. That exact car was in the old Bolink catalog. Back in the day I had that body on an Eliminator 10 basic kit. Wish I had taken photos of it back then. I think I may have my car painted just like that photo. Not sure if I trust myself to paint any stripes just yet so I think I'll start looking for a painter now. Going to have to get myself another one for running now. I also noticed they have the old 1/12 version too. Way cool! 8) Hmm... I could practice on another body to see if I like the results. Going to place an order.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Cool build dude!

BME used to have an awesome asphalt modified kit in the late 90's, maybe early 2000's. It was before the whole SK modifed craze. Had metal tube bumpers and nerf bars.... the whole 9. I always kick myself for never buying one back then. You don't see them come up for sale often.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

PlastiZapCA+ wrote:

Wow, you just made my day! :shock: I wish they had a bigger picture of that car. That exact car was in the old Bolink catalog. Back in the day I had that body on an Eliminator 10 basic kit. Wish I had taken photos of it back then. I think I may have my car painted just like that photo. Not sure if I trust myself to paint any stripes just yet so I think I'll start looking for a painter now. Going to have to get myself another one for running now. I also noticed they have the old 1/12 version too. Way cool! 8) Hmm... I could practice on another body to see if I like the results. Going to place an order.
There's a Bolink catalog is in the scan's section with a better pic: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22793

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

scr8p wrote:Cool build dude!

BME used to have an awesome asphalt modified kit in the late 90's, maybe early 2000's. It was before the whole SK modifed craze. Had metal tube bumpers and nerf bars.... the whole 9. I always kick myself for never buying one back then. You don't see them come up for sale often.

Thanks man! I would love to see that kit! Speaking of BME, I also need to get my Supermod project reorganized after I finish this one up. I've got a lot of cars to build. :lol:

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

Phin wrote:
PlastiZapCA+ wrote:

There's a Bolink catalog is in the scan's section with a better pic: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22793
Thanks Phin! I just ordered another body from Wind Tunnel along with a stealth antenna. I think I may attempt this paint scheme myself. I have backup now. :mrgreen: Check out the painted up Probe on that catalog. Awesome!

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

PlastiZapCA+ wrote:
knucklebuster wrote:Thanks Mike. I have been watching the Ford for days :lol: I am a Ford guy but the Chevy modified looks better :mrgreen:
Who's Mike? :lol: I like both Fords and Chevys. My father was a diehard Chevy man so I naturally picked it up from him.

Don
Roger Roger, not sure where I got Mike Don :lol:

Phin, thanks for the lead on the body!

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

I've determined that the old receiver I restored is the culprit. I've tried different motor capacitors and running the wire through an antenna tube without result. I noticed that the car will cut out when I move the antenna wire around, yet I can find no breaks inside or outside of the case and continuity checks out. I connected the car to the same receiver in my RC12i and it ran without any problems. I'm not going to remove the receiver in my 12i so it's down to either finding another or just going with a modern 2.4ghz receiver. Probably not a good idea to be running an old AM receiver anyway.

What are your thoughts? Replace old receiver with another or go with a modern receiver? I could probably hide a new 2.4ghz receiver in the old Futaba case. I'm not wasting anymore time with the old receiver. I could have finished the car by now if not for this problem.

In other news: :mrgreen:

I built a 4000 nmih battery pack to look vintage using the RC10 CE manual for reference. I used white shrink tubing and the old fiber tape like they did. Modern power with vintage looks. :lol: I also used Associated type AMP connectors for the battery and motor plugs. Once I get everything sorted I'll arrange the wires neatly.

I also fitted the car with green springs up front and blue on the rear. I may end up putting blue springs on the front too. The rear is now perfect, I'll wait and see how the front reacts with the greens before changing them out.

I'll be adding these sprint car headers to the body. The seams will be filled and they'll get a white paintjob with some weathering.

I've decided to go with the Bolink paintjob except with red and blue stripes. I'll use Spaz-Tix chrome for the bumpers, spoiler and air cleaner.

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

Killer! Try mounting the receiver on the side with crystal on top and away from the chassis and battery. Both can cause interference. I sometimes have interference from the car itself but more often from other large metal objects in the area. All of my radio equipment is AM. While upgrading will improve reception I don't believe it is necessary.

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

Thanks man! I guess I won't give up just yet. I'll try relocating the receiver and see what happens. I really do want to keep all vintage electronics on it. If the relocation fails then I'll press on with the other bits of the car and start watching e-Bay again for another receiver.

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

PM your address and I will mail one out :wink:

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

knucklebuster wrote:PM your address and I will mail one out :wink:
Thanks man! Let me test a couple of things this weekend before I completely throw in the towel on it. If it fails then I'll definitely take you up on your offer! :D I've got lots of RC10 parts I would be happy to trade too.

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

Thanks, no parts needed :wink: