2015 Championship Edition re-fit Racer/Runner

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JasonB
Approved Member

2015 Championship Edition re-fit Racer/Runner

Post by JasonB »

I spent a good deal of time on this build so I decided to share. I've used a combination of vintage and re-re worlds parts to build a modern racer out of an old championship edition buggy. I have been racing it in the 17.5 (stock) buggy class and turning some heads in the process. It has been running mid-pack against the newer stock buggies, and I can occasionally manage faster single laps which is encouraging. People keep telling me to buy a new buggy for stock so I can be faster, but I think they are missing the point entirely :-)

I didn't have a good usable gold nose plate, so I'm using a black vintage worlds car part. I recently converted from black to white plastics (mix of vintage and rere) just so the car was even more recognizable as an RC10.

This car is run at an indoor clay track which generally has high grip and medium-large jumps. I have the rere worlds shocks with stock springs at a #1 piston and 30wt oil f/r. Running proline electron (MC) with blue inserts on rere worlds wheels. Shorty lipo mounted just in front of the rear bulkhead seems to give the best weight distribution, but I am still playing with adding ballast weight. The turbo mirage body is painted in an american flag theme. I sprayed the white over the metallic red a little too soon, so the red is more pink than it shoudl be, but it's a racer so oh well. I found out my first race that the turn marshals seemed to not understand you can't grab an old buggy by the wing, I used B4 wing mounts on the CE rear tower to mount the wing. While I like the look of the old wing, using a new 6.5" high-downforce wing resulted in slightly faster lap times. I'm eager to see more people with high-grip clay setups; I am just beginning to get the car dialed so it can be slightly more competitive. Last race night my fast laps were about 1 second slower on a 24 second lap vs my Mod Buggy 8.5 turn B4.2FT.
Attachments
IMG_20150201_161538_890.jpg
IMG_20150201_161450_337.jpg
IMG_20150126_030014_886.jpg

DaveM
Approved Member

Re: 2015 Championship Edition re-fit Racer/Runner

Post by DaveM »

Hi Jason,

Well done, your buggy looks great!

Keep us posted on your set up, could you get a closer pic of your battery and electrics mounting?

What battery strap are you using?

Dave. :)

JasonB
Approved Member

Post by JasonB »

BTW... I'm sorry that my pictures suck, but all I have is a crummy cell phone camera.
Here is a close-up of the electronics layout. The battery strap is the old CE battery tray which was cut down. The ESC is mounted on a thin piece of plastic which is bonded to the bulkhead.
Attachments
IMG_20150204_224451_933.jpg

GeekSpeed
Approved Member

Post by GeekSpeed »

Nice work! I am hoping to get something like this going soon as well.

JasonB
Approved Member

Post by JasonB »

Thanks guys! Last night I completed the build on a rere worlds. It's box stock except for bearings in the steering and RPM ballcups on the steering linkages. You might be surprised that I'm very excited to run this car, as it's starting off very similar to my gold car (shocks/springs/mounting locations) but I can try different shock/suspension setups and run them each at the track back-to-back saving a lot of changeover time at the track during practice! This should help me get the gold pan dialed a LOT faster. I put together another set of electrons with AKA red foams instead of the proline blue so I can see what works better. I'm willing to bet the lighter cars do better with softer foams.

The rere worlds (AS EQUIPPED) is a little heavier than my CE, mostly due to the shorty battery but also Ti hinge pins and turnbuckles probably save a little bit, aluminum steering adds some, etc etc. Does anybody know exactly how much weight is removed by the worlds chassis milling? (note: our track does not enforce ROAR minimum weight for races)
CE: 3lbs 0.8oz (1383.46g)
Rere Worlds: 3lbs 3.2oz (1451.5g)

As the rere worlds has supposedly stronger transmission gears, I put an 8.5 turn Orion in this one.

All 3 of my runner buggies side-by-side B4.2FT, CE, Worlds. I also snapped a photo of my 'Racer' CE with my 'Shelf Queen' rere :-)
Attachments
IMG_20150205_190802_059.jpg
IMG_20150205_190746_026.jpg
IMG_20150205_191915_984SM.jpg

JK Racing
Approved Member

Post by JK Racing »

I run indoor clay, but I have gone to the AE 12mm Big Bore shocks. Mine is the classic re-re with CE parts all over it. I havent tried anything over a 13.5 in it, and its quick enough for me already. It spent most of its life as my stock class racer. Now my B3 is my stock car and this gold pan has replaced my B5 for 2wd mod duty.

I try to keep my cars at or above the minimum ROAR weight, I tend to find local bigger races where they do tech for weight, motor induction and voltage.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

JasonB
Approved Member

Post by JasonB »

JK Racing wrote:I run indoor clay, but I have gone to the AE 12mm Big Bore shocks. Mine is the classic re-re with CE parts all over it. I havent tried anything over a 13.5 in it, and its quick enough for me already. It spent most of its life as my stock class racer. Now my B3 is my stock car and this gold pan has replaced my B5 for 2wd mod duty.
So you race your rere gold pan in mod... Is it competitive? I was thinking mine would be more competitive in stock, as the skill level of the top guys in modified buggy is very high; a couple of our local guys are national champions... The last two weeks I managed to finish 2nd and 3rd out of 7 in 17.5 stock buggy class weekly club races.

Did you notice much difference from the change to big bore shocks? Faster lap times?

On a side note: Since I added the JC Al steering bellcranks and removed the servo saver I keep breaking the steering screws and steering blocks even on seemingly light taps against the wall (surprise, right?). So I plan to swap them out for re-re worlds bellcranks because at least the plastic will offer SOME deflection.

JK Racing
Approved Member

Post by JK Racing »

Last 2wd mod race I qualified 6 out of 8 and finished 4. I havent really compared lap times standard shock to big bore, but go more off of feel of the car. It feels more stable and give me more confidence when driving.

2wd mod is the same here, we have our club level guys and then regional, national and world champions in the mix as well. I am not at their level of driving, but I feel the car completes easily at the club level. Our stock classes are super competitive and have some extremely good racers.
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com

JasonB
Approved Member

Post by JasonB »

JK Racing wrote:Last 2wd mod race I qualified 6 out of 8 and finished 4. I havent really compared lap times standard shock to big bore, but go more off of feel of the car. It feels more stable and give me more confidence when driving.

2wd mod is the same here, we have our club level guys and then regional, national and world champions in the mix as well. I am not at their level of driving, but I feel the car completes easily at the club level. Our stock classes are super competitive and have some extremely good racers.
Fantastic, next week I'll try the big bores off my now-retired B4.2 and see if I'm any faster. I guess I'll just start with the B4 springs and maybe 1.6/30wt f/r?

There went the vintage plastic. *sigh* They are not kidding when they say the white plastic is fragile. Broke both front arms with very light taps on the wall once last week and once this week... good thing the rere-worlds arms are available. I don't think associated has any plans to remake long arms in white, right?
Attachments
IMG_20150208_161841_106.jpg
IMG_20150208_161841_106.jpg (73.21 KiB) Viewed 2460 times
IMG_20150208_161841_106.jpg
IMG_20150208_161841_106.jpg (73.21 KiB) Viewed 2460 times

JK Racing
Approved Member

Post by JK Racing »

no...BUT...shapeways has the front arms, in white that have been extended just a touch so that you can run B4/re-re worlds front arms with standard front axles (not the GT wide/re-re worlds ones). Correct front width and easy to access wheels.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/EJ8VSQZZN/rc10-wide-front-arm-pair?li=user-profile&optionId=43301479

There is a thread here talking about them.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=37059
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com

Scary Gary

Post by Scary Gary »

Are the shapeways arms durable. Do you run them? If so I'm ordering some. Those things are awesome.

JK Racing
Approved Member

Post by JK Racing »

I have the NIX91 built (almost all parts are shapeways), I have yet to run it, but others are racing them with minimal breakage. Check the B1M thread here, the wide arms are on that car, and I know it has been run already.
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com

Scary Gary

Post by Scary Gary »

Thanks for the info. I will check out the thread

JasonB
Approved Member

Post by JasonB »

JK Racing wrote:no...BUT...shapeways has the front arms, in white that have been extended just a touch so that you can run B4/re-re worlds front arms with standard front axles (not the GT wide/re-re worlds ones). Correct front width and easy to access wheels.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/EJ8VSQZZN/rc10-wide-front-arm-pair?li=user-profile&optionId=43301479

There is a thread here talking about them.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=37059
I considered these, however I also had durability concerns. I also want stock width as I already have the front wheel conversion for B4 wheels. On a related note, the wheel offset changed (higher) on B4 wheels. The axles make up for that difference in the correct way: by extending the axle and keeping the wheel centerline distance from the kingpin (and hence the scrub radius) essentially the same. Extending the arm and using the shorter axle with a B4 wheel would result in an incorrect scrub radius; the kingpin axis would still intersect the ground further outboard from it's normal position relative to the centerline of the wheel. Granted, this might be a small enough difference that most people don't notice?

JK Racing
Approved Member

Post by JK Racing »

Actually, the wide axles swing the wheels front/back, the pivot is farther in. By increasing the arm and plunging the pivot point inside the wheel (like a B4), it corrects the geometry from this issue.
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com