pics loaded...Narrow arm, old gold pan converting to Worlds

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

pcrussell50
Approved Member

Re: pics loaded...Narrow arm, old gold pan converting to Wor

Post by pcrussell50 »

Bottom Feeder wrote:I'm surprised no one has tried talking you out of this yet.

Yes, the original gold pan RC10 and the Worlds RC10 have the same DNA but there are so many small things that are different about them, which you have found out the hard way. You're probably committed now but I would suggest cleaning up what you have and returning your gold pan back to stock since it was a complete runner, then go through what parts you've bought and make a second car out of spares and eBay parts. I say this because you'll have so many pieces of the original car left over you might as well leave it as it was.

Instead of making a 'new' car and having a box of leftovers, why not keep your complete classic gold pan roller for the shelf and then build what will essentially be a frankenstein'd equivalent of a Team Car to run? Looks like you have a new transmission and motor plate, rear axles, rear bulkhead, rear hub carriers, shock towers, shocks, complete front suspension, steering gear and a second chassis. That's about 85% of a second car right there.

Believe me, I'm all for building RC10s out of spare parts. But as you mentioned earlier, $200 on a new Worlds Car probably would have been a better investment... :(
Well, I took your advice and finished the "Worlds" with new parts. It's roller now, just got to put in the electrics, which I already have. And I'm partway through putting the original gold pan back together... stock. At least it's much cleaner now than it was with 30 years of grime.

Pics in a few days...I'm out on a trip again.

-Peter

pcrussell50
Approved Member

Post by pcrussell50 »

Aaand... I just went even nuttier. I bought a new in box rere World's off ebay, so now I have my original Cadillac gold pan, a "worlds" i build out of mostly older parts (black CE tub, no attention to color originality, CVD axles with original rc10 sized axle stubs in the rear), and now a rere world's.

i took the advice of bottom feeder and decided not to convert my original gold pan to anything. now, i'm giving it, it's first cleaning in 30 years, and returning the battery layout to stock. ok so this original gold pan has been a mild brushless basher for quite some time now, with the modern era setup where the battery is oriented down the longitudinal axis, using only one of the two original battery trays down at the servo end in front... like pretty much everybody you see around here. now i'm going to make this one a runable shelf queen with a stock original battery layout. since i want it to run, that means it has to be able to hold a battery... or two small ones... or one small one... thus my question:

what brand/size lipo makes for a good fit in an old stock, cadillac era, short arm, 6-gear, gold pan with the stock, crossways battery arrangement?

-peter

ChisaiKuso
Approved Member

Post by ChisaiKuso »

pcrussell50 wrote:Aaand... I just went even nuttier. I bought a new in box rere World's off ebay, so now I have my original Cadillac gold pan, a "worlds" i build out of mostly older parts (black CE tub, no attention to color originality, CVD axles with original rc10 sized axle stubs in the rear), and now a rere world's.
As you are now discovering, RC10s multiply faster than rabbits.
Something clever goes here...

pcrussell50
Approved Member

Post by pcrussell50 »

ChisaiKuso wrote: As you are now discovering, RC10s multiply faster than rabbits.
yes, i was warned of this. and damned if it isn't true. i went into this thinking i was just going to "upgrade" my old gold pan, then put the real money into a 1/8 4wd racer. now look at me. :)

-peter