Another Vintage Team Car back in action

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

slowshelby

Another Vintage Team Car back in action

Post by slowshelby »

Hey gang. Long story short-ish, I pulled my vintage clodbuster and rc10 team car out of my dad's storage and wanted to get them going again. The clod is all stock and and the rc10 qas sporting a novak 410 m5 with a speed gems onyx 14t brushed motor. I pulled a pair of vintage futaba transmitters, an old corroding nimh pack and charger as well. I charged the battery and tried to get them going with no luck. I figured it was the battery, so I picked up a new lipo (new tech for me) , charger and lvd. Transmitters had power, and I could tell the cars were getting power but no dice. I tried swapping the crystals from the old receivers with no luck.

Last week I figured I would throw $20 at a hobby king 2.4g receiver. I get it all together on Saturday and it worked for a few minutes. It stopped driving and sounded like I hurt the Stealth transmission :(. Last night i took some stuff apart and saw that the pinion set screw came out and the pinion dropped below the spur!! Sweet. After work I came home and got to getting it going. I fixed the pinion and set up the novak for the new rx and it rips! It moves out really well and I had fun tearing up the cul de sac. One of the neighbors even came out and commented that it has some power! After about 10-15 mins of ripping, i was cut short when my molex (lol) connector overheated and broke, but I ditched the adapter and wired in a proper connector to get it going again (srill need to solder it).

The shell was never painted and is missing a wing, so I will fix those soon. The brakes dont seem to be working as well as I thought it should, so I may tinker there too. Aside from the battery and tx/rx, it was exactly as it was built in the early 90s, when I got it for Christmas when I was 11 or 12.

Just thought I would share my story. I will try to throw some pics up of a before and after paint. Just thought It was cool to get it cooking again. I wanted to throw a brushless setup in it, but I dont want to hurt the tranny with all of the tranny part problems I have been reading about .

Next up, I will get another tx for the clod, as well as a new esc to replace to corroded stock msc!!!!

Spoon
Approved Member

Re: Another Vintage Team Car back in action

Post by Spoon »

Welcome back to the madness, my friends and I just recently got back into the hobby and we all got some speed passions 3500KV brushless motors and the stealth transmission holds up just fine for us. The esc/combo was $49 shipped so it wont break the bank either.

SLIDER
Approved Member

Post by SLIDER »

Im just getting back in from the early '91s! Man things sure have changed!
3 FOREVER

slowshelby

Post by slowshelby »

Spoon wrote:Welcome back to the madness, my friends and I just recently got back into the hobby and we all got some speed passions 3500KV brushless motors and the stealth transmission holds up just fine for us. The esc/combo was $49 shipped so it wont break the bank either.
Yah, I noticed there is some cheap stuff out there for upgrades. I can't believe how cheap the rc/tx combo was/

How would a 3500kv brushless compare to a 14t double wind motor? That may be an option if mine starts to look tired, but I was thinking of a higher kv mill.

slowshelby

Post by slowshelby »

Well, i soldered the traxxas connector to the novak and have been beating on the old girl. All has been fine but it looks like a cracked on of fhe oroginal front arms. Can I get my hands on a world car piece? Will it work? Any chance of tracking down white one for grins and giggles?

Otherwise, it is pretty fun to tinker with. It doesn't like tall grass at all. It scoots om with the old brushed mill.

slowshelby

Post by slowshelby »

Well, i have been playing, which resulted in me puttin a new pinion, spur, body and wing on it. I think fhe esc or motor is jacked because it slow to a stop after a bit, and the lvd never goes off, and fhe charger always detects over 7.3 volts when I go to charge. Think I will order a sw3 and 5700kv combo tomorrow to vet it cooking again.

Sorry for the odd paint, my 3 year old picked the color....

At any rate, it is a stock 20 yo team car with a novak 410 m5, 14 x 2 onyx speed gem, and a 5200 mah 2s lipo.

Afger the power pla t, next will be wheels and tires, amd maybe a professionally painted body :)

slowshelby

Post by slowshelby »

So, I ordered a 5700/sw3 combo, new 81t sput (just in case) and a 22t losi 48p pinion. They should be here on Wednesday.

What should I do for arms? I have crack in one of the oem front arms. I would like for the arms to match. What are my options? If i am switching arms, is there a way I could modernize to 2.2 wheels without dremeling pieces for different hinge pins? Is there a bolt on solution if I want to change arms? I know I can order the uk wheels if need be for the stock stuff, but the re worlds car arms were not available last time I looked. A little help would be greatly appreciated.

Any other recommendations are welcomed :) This is the first time fir me working on these things. I have only wrenched on real cars :) Maybe I will have a body done to match my gt500 :)

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

you should be able to find the associated team arms still available, but in black only. if not, you can always get the rpm team arms. there are a few guys on the board that are making white arms from shapeways as well that may work.

2.2 wheels up front there are a few options just recently on some threads, if i see it I'll pop in again, but either b2/b3 wheels, duratrax front wheels, or b4 wheels with extended axles OR shapeways extended team arms.

slowshelby

Post by slowshelby »

The only rpm arms I saw on their site said that they would not fit the Team Car. Looks like the b lack ones are back in stock at associated though. Maybe I will pick those up and a 2.2 f/r kit from them too.

My sw3/5700kv combo came in yesterday. I should have it rolling this evening. I am curious ti see how it moves with the new modern power. I have a few different pinions to try depending on temps. I am sure the 18 will be fine and I would think the 22 shouod be ok on 2s. Maybe I will take it to a local track this weekend. I have never driven it in anger before. I am sure I could use the practice. :)

SLIDER
Approved Member

Post by SLIDER »

Cant wait to hear what ya think of modern power! Ive never ran lipos or brushless either!
3 FOREVER

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

Nice... just go ahead and drop in the 427 8) Something tells me that sweet team car will look good and run with the next update!

slowshelby

Post by slowshelby »

No time to work on it tonight :(
My diff is sounding rough though. I am thinking about rebuilding it. I guess and see what pieces I should order for when I tackle it.

I am excited ti get it going!

slowshelby

Post by slowshelby »

Well, this thing definitely rips with the new motor and esc! I put the new spur and losi 22p pinion in it and it moves really well. Lots of power. It is spinning the tires off of the wheels, so I will have to take care of that. It will also do donuts from power from a stop with the front wheels straight, so I need to look at that diff. I need to get some good tires for it and take it to a track. Buzzing down the street probably isn't as fun as hitting some jumps with it.

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

I have several Castle set ups, 5700kv in my T3. Too much for my old CE IMO. Try pushing the shock collars to the top of all shocks for better traction running full bore drag runs.

SLIDER
Approved Member

Post by SLIDER »

Glad to hear ya got it running! I wouldnt make any adjustments to the dif until you get the tires glued on good! Im sure after a lil tweaking on the slipper and dif, it will be good to go! Keep us updated!
3 FOREVER