Another Vintage Team Car back in action

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

slowshelby

Re: Another Vintage Team Car back in action

Post by slowshelby »

Got the tires glued up last night. Since I will eventually get new wheels and tires I just glued the 20+ year old stockers to the stock rims with some gorilla glue. I guess we will fin out if it works, lol.

slowshelby

Post by slowshelby »

Well, the gorilla glue was a success. It definitely has plenty of power. Possibly a little too much...so maybe just enough :)

It still wants to throw the ass around when I give it full throttle, even going straight on the street. I need some better tires that will be ok on the street. Any recommendations?

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

Custom Works tires, B3/Thunder Tiger Phoenix front and rear rims. The tires don't last long running the streets but are easy to come by.

JasonB
Approved Member

Post by JasonB »

Looks good! Keep in mind if you make the tires hook up substantially better, you'll put a lot more stress on the drivetrain. I stripped an idler gear right off with a 5.5 turn. Chewed up the diff gear something nasty.

Not sure what kind of track you're taking it to, but I always remind people to keep in mind that appropriate tire selection is very important for reasons other than going fast.. Poor traction will lead to crashes, even with a skilled driver.

Your experience may vary, but I broke the long white front arms on some very gentle crashes. They were not re-created by AE like with the rere black arms, so I personally would take the 5 mins and swap on a $5 pair of rere worlds black arms if you want to save them.

slowshelby

Post by slowshelby »

Well, I broke something today. The rear slid sideways into a small curb/Ledge and the screw that the ball cup attaches too (above the rear arm), broke. The ball end detached and part of the of the bolt remained in ghe rear shock tower/bulkhead. I am shocked the aged plastics did not break. Looks lime I need to look up what size it is and head to the lhs to see if they have it or if I need to order it. Probabkg have to do some disassembling to get the half of fhe screw out.

I also ordered some tt phoenix wheels and some traxxas anaconda tires for some road bashing. It looks like the tinkering will continue :)

slowshelby

Post by slowshelby »

Well, i was able to cobble something together to get the my rig running from the lhs, but I think I will still order the correct parts from associated.

Out of curiosity, i downloaded a speedometer app to see what the the ole team car could muster with the new motor and esc combo. I was a little nervous a out putting my Mega in there with how prone it is to spin out, but my phone survived.

With just a couple attempts on a not super fresh battery I got it up to 39mph. This is on 2s with a 22t pinion. I will give it another shot when my tires and wheels get here with a little longer run. This seems like a fun speed and not super susceptible to demolishing itself. I can see how it might be fun ti build a fast one though. Maybe with a Rc10ds conversion of sorts....

How do people mount 3s batteries?

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

Sorry, thought about it after the fact... you will need to run the front rims inside out or buy extended axles. I believe Associated released the extended front axles with the Worlds rerelease??? You can also use the GT extended front axles.

slowshelby

Post by slowshelby »

Doh! Will I need just axles or is there more stuff I should pick up while I am at it?

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

Sorry, I tend to stick to my old ways and didn't consider not everyone cares to run fronts "backwards" :lol: Doing so will give you the stock width without any additional parts.
Attachments
bomber (1) (480x360).jpg
bomber (1) (480x360).jpg (95.41 KiB) Viewed 1998 times
bomber (1) (480x360).jpg
bomber (1) (480x360).jpg (95.41 KiB) Viewed 1998 times

slowshelby

Post by slowshelby »

That won't bother me :) Looks nice. I will have to run mine wingless to see how it looks too :)

Can these wheels be dyed?

My tires are here but still waiting on wheels. Ordered the fronts and rears from different places..

I still need to get some ball cups and what not from associated. I will have to get those ordered today.

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

Thanks! I am glad to hear I didn't misdirect your purchase. I have not tried to dye newer plastic parts, only old nylon. Sorry, no help on that question :mrgreen:

slowshelby

Post by slowshelby »

Got the rears all mounted and glued up and decided to take the rc10 for a spin. I went in and manually adjusted some settings with the sw3 since I didn't have reverse. I put in a little punch control since I figured the anaconda tires will hook up on the street, and added some timing for good measure.

On a fresh pack with the above changes.....Image

51mph! This is still on 2s. I found a 3s pack that is the same size as a 2s standard pack, so I may pick that up to see how it reacts.

These tires are great for road bashing. I have to be carefully about punching it while I am rolling slowly because it will wheelie too hard and flip. They do balloon at speed though, but it seems stable at this point.

Not sure why I want to make it go fast....I just like fast things I guess :)

RedOwlRacing

Post by RedOwlRacing »

What did you end up doing with the old Onyx Speed Gem>?