McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

knucklebuster
Approved Member

McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval

Post by knucklebuster »

First, big thanks to PlastiZapCA+ for the JG oval conversion thread http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=37655 that inspired me to build another dirt oval runner. I am leaning toward the Cavalier body but have several options on hand. I may also revisit Gary McAllister for another Firebird body.

The fiberglass front and rear towers were pulled from my Track Master mid motor. I disassembled the mid motor some time ago to prepare for some tweaks, one of which was to add more mounting locations to the rear tower.

The rims and tires came from a recent ebay steal... $100 shipped for a mint graphite runner. The chassis and rims/tires are actually too nice to run! As for the remainder of the parts, less mint chassis and runner rims/tires, 15+ years of collecting makes building cars a little easier 8)
Attachments
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (1).JPG
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (7) (360x270).jpg
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (7) (360x270).jpg (67.33 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (7) (360x270).jpg
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (7) (360x270).jpg (67.33 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (6) (360x270).jpg
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (6) (360x270).jpg (78.07 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (6) (360x270).jpg
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (6) (360x270).jpg (78.07 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (5) (360x270).jpg
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (5) (360x270).jpg (70.09 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (5) (360x270).jpg
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (5) (360x270).jpg (70.09 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (3) (360x270).jpg
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (3) (360x270).jpg (67.5 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (3) (360x270).jpg
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (3) (360x270).jpg (67.5 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (4) (360x270).jpg
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (4) (360x270).jpg (66.63 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (4) (360x270).jpg
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (4) (360x270).jpg (66.63 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (2) (360x270).jpg
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (2) (360x270).jpg (66.92 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (2) (360x270).jpg
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (2) (360x270).jpg (66.92 KiB) Viewed 2392 times

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Re: McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

Nice! Those are some great looking wheels too, I would definitely save those for the shelf. I ordered the McCallister lowering kit from Shapeways just recently and will be doing a similar setup to yours on my next car. Looking forward to more updates on your build.

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

You'll need to make a spacer that moves the rear shocks 1/4" off of the arms. The original kit includes a spacer but when I modeled the kit, I forgot it. I printed up two sets before I realized it. I added that part to the set yesterday. Your order won't include them but at least a spacer isn't that big of a deal.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

PlastiZapCA+
Approved Member

Post by PlastiZapCA+ »

fredswain wrote:You'll need to make a spacer that moves the rear shocks 1/4" off of the arms. The original kit includes a spacer but when I modeled the kit, I forgot it. I printed up two sets before I realized it. I added that part to the set yesterday. Your order won't include them but at least a spacer isn't that big of a deal.
No problem with the spacer, I've already made massive modifications to the car so a couple of extra parts is not an issue for me. :lol:

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

Thanks Don. I take a while to decide on a body. I recently organized the garage (mostly to sort through the rc hoard :lol: ) and put my hands on more bodies. The Cavalier is calling regardless of whether it goes on this car.

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

A few updates. I added some additional holes to the rear shock tower and mounted. The home grown tower allows for better rear suspension setup. I sorted through parts and added the Andy's rear mount, tires and Trinity motor. I built the 6 gear some time ago with bearings on the outdrives but I will likely remove the bearings. I believe the felt/retainers allow the 6 gear to operate more efficiently.
Attachments
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (3).jpg
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (13).jpg
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (5).jpg

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

Nice!

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

knucklebuster wrote:I built the 6 gear some time ago with bearings on the outdrives but I will likely remove the bearings. I believe the felt/retainers allow the 6 gear to operate more efficiently.
Correct. Although it seems like a great idea, unless you modify the internal bearings by removing one and adding a spacer, it binds up. On the ones I've built, I typically fall back on felt.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

LTO - Thanks!

gomachv - only two of my 6 gears were built with bearings. After the first mod, I realized it was no bueno. I built the second because it looks so cool 8)

I learned the 6 gear trans is reliable even when it is "noisy." It is a lawn mower compared to the stealth. A well run and loose 6 gear is dialed :wink:

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

gomachv wrote:
knucklebuster wrote:I built the 6 gear some time ago with bearings on the outdrives but I will likely remove the bearings. I believe the felt/retainers allow the 6 gear to operate more efficiently.
Correct. Although it seems like a great idea, unless you modify the internal bearings by removing one and adding a spacer, it binds up. On the ones I've built, I typically fall back on felt.
gomachv - I reread your post and wanted to say THANKS! I never would have thought to try your mod. I assumed bearings in place of felt/retainers reduced play and therefore increased gear mesh.

A few updates. I added a Futaba R112JE receiver and Novak 610 HVR esc. I thought the reversible esc would be fun for a change but I am reconsidering after the bench test. I set maximum reverse delay but reverse occurs even before the trigger reaches full brake. Reverse actually occurs very shortly after brake input. :shock:

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

A few updates... I pulled the faulty Novak 610 and added the Novak Cyclone, my favorite brushed speed control. I chose a 44 tooth, 32 pitch spur and the smallest pinion that would allow gear mesh. I chose 32 pitch gears because I wanted to hear them working 8)

I sorted through rc bodies on hand and realized I bought not one but two McAllister Racing Devil's Bowl bodies a while back for my bomber build. I still need to mount the body. I planned to slam the rear, cutting the skirt at an upward angle from the headers back bringing the roofline down to the top of the rear tires. Maybe later...

I also had what I think are RJ Speed bumpers from a junk lot. I heated up what was to be the rear bumper, wrapped it around a screw driver and called it a day. I staggered the front bumper simply because there was not enough material to attach on center and catch two chassis holes. I also added a wall banger from a 10L.

BTW if you have not bought a body from Gary McAllister (directly, not ebay) you should. I have not met him except to call and place orders but he strikes me as a neat and nice person. I ordered my first body and received a bunch of decals and lolipops. I painted the wrong side of a wing, called to buy another and he dropped one in the mail free of charge. Wow, you don't run into people like that very often. Gary also paints interesting cat pictures... but I digress.

The last pic shows the fronts jelly beans I planned to use. They look great but function poorly on the street :lol:
Attachments
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (1) - Copy.jpg
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (1) - Copy.jpg (99.1 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (1) - Copy.jpg
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (1) - Copy.jpg (99.1 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (2) - Copy.jpg
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (2) - Copy.jpg (144.94 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (2) - Copy.jpg
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (2) - Copy.jpg (144.94 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (3) - Copy.jpg
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (3) - Copy.jpg (105.8 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (3) - Copy.jpg
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (3) - Copy.jpg (105.8 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (5) - Copy.jpg
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (5) - Copy.jpg (93.02 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (5) - Copy.jpg
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (5) - Copy.jpg (93.02 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (7) - Copy.jpg
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (7) - Copy.jpg (92.27 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (7) - Copy.jpg
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (7) - Copy.jpg (92.27 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (8) - Copy.jpg
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (8) - Copy.jpg (96.05 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (8) - Copy.jpg
McAllister Racing graphite dirt oval (8) - Copy.jpg (96.05 KiB) Viewed 1803 times