Fusion Speed? Buffalo Composites? Carbon Tub Build

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Racerx336

Fusion Speed? Buffalo Composites? Carbon Tub Build

Post by Racerx336 »

Hey guys,

New to the board and the RC10 but not new to RC. I am heavily involved in racing 1/10 and 1/8 offroad so I do bring a little bit of knowledge from there. That being said, I was born in 1985 and the RC10 is still pretty new to me. I am still trying to learn all I can. Now to the build.......

I like carbon fiber quite a bit, always have. When I first started looking for RC10 stuff, I came across a Fusion Speed tub on Ebay and while that one was NIB and way out of my price range, I did make it a point to keep my eyes out for one. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago. Seller claimed it was a "Buffalo Composites" chassis but the more I look at it, the more I think it may be a Fusion Speed. Either way, I got the chassis Saturday and started looking everything over. Looks to be in really great shape other than the front kickup area.

Using advice from Scr8p, I robbed a bit of panel bond from one of the body techs at work and let it set for 24hr. After a bit of time with a sanding block and a dremel, this is where I'm at. Still may have to hit it for a second with my countersinking bit, but oh well.

Still trying to decide which way to go. I have a full set of black Andy's stuff (arms, bulkhead, arm mounts, battery cup, etc.) on the way and a set of worlds car towers on another parts roller sitting at the house. Hard Ano'd shocks or gold shocks....? All up in the air at the moment and completely open to suggestions!

aeiou
Approved Member

Re: Fusion Speed? Buffalo Composites? Carbon Tub Build

Post by aeiou »

Welcome!

I'm not familiar with Buffalo Composites, but it sure looks like a Fusion Speed tub to me. The repair is looking good. I tried PC-7 epoxy paste on the one that I'm attempting to restore, but I couldn't get it to bond well with the CF. It looks like you've had much better results with the stuff you used, so I may have to give that a try.

All black parts with the World's towers would looks great. Perhaps a MIP SP1 transmission, too. 8)

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

The only thing i know about Buffalo Composites is a small pic of their tub in an old rcca mag. Back in the "what's new" section.

This one looks like any other fusion tub I've seen.

Racerx336

Post by Racerx336 »

scr8p wrote:The only thing i know about Buffalo Composites is a small pic of their tub in an old rcca mag. Back in the "what's new" section.

This one looks like any other fusion tub I've seen.
Pretty much what I have settled on as well. Plus, I read where the Buffalo chassis was half an inch longer than stock and this one is definitely not any longer.

What do you guys think, 6 gear or stealth? I have a NOS A&L steering set or a nice Houge one as well. Kind of wanting to go with all black anodized hardware. Maybe change the socket heads over to flat heads with silver countersunk washers....

Racerx336

Post by Racerx336 »

aeiou wrote:Welcome!

I'm not familiar with Buffalo Composites, but it sure looks like a Fusion Speed tub to me. The repair is looking good. I tried PC-7 epoxy paste on the one that I'm attempting to restore, but I couldn't get it to bond well with the CF. It looks like you've had much better results with the stuff you used, so I may have to give that a try.

All black parts with the World's towers would looks great. Perhaps a MIP SP1 transmission, too. 8)
Was looking at an SP1. I'd like to get my hands on one.

Spoon
Approved Member

Post by Spoon »

If it's got the holes for a stealth then I say go for it. If not then a 6 gear will do but personally would go with a MIP SP1.

Bottom Feeder
Approved Member

Post by Bottom Feeder »

That repair looks good but it probably won't be that strong. Is this for a runner or shelfer?

Bottom Feeder
Approved Member

Post by Bottom Feeder »

Spoon wrote:If it's got the holes for a stealth then I say go for it. If not then a 6 gear will do but personally would go with a MIP SP1.
Or he could just drill the Stealth mounting holes.

Racerx336

Post by Racerx336 »

Bottom Feeder wrote:That repair looks good but it probably won't be that strong. Is this for a runner or shelfer?
Strictly a shelfer. I have a plethora of XX and XXT's that I am going through and I may build a runner out of one of those. I am plenty busy enough running my current race rigs though and we don't really have a dedicated 1/10 track in DFW now that Mike's closed so building runners is on hold for the moment.

Racerx336

Post by Racerx336 »

Got some more stuff in the mail today. Glad I made it home before the wife!

And maybe the beginning of another roller...

aeiou
Approved Member

Post by aeiou »

Racerx336 wrote:And maybe the beginning of another roller...

You'll fit in just fine here! One is never enough. :lol:

You actually ended up with a really good Fusion chassis for restoring. Most of the ones I've seen with screw damage, it's been the rear suspension mounts that have torn away. That's a much harder area to repair IMO, especially for a runner. I know yours will be a shelfer, but even if you were to run it, your repair should hold up just fine as there are basically 6 screws supporting the front suspension.

Racerx336

Post by Racerx336 »

aeiou wrote:
Racerx336 wrote:And maybe the beginning of another roller...

You'll fit in just fine here! One is never enough. :lol:

You actually ended up with a really good Fusion chassis for restoring. Most of the ones I've seen with screw damage, it's been the rear suspension mounts that have torn away. That's a much harder area to repair IMO, especially for a runner. I know yours will be a shelfer, but even if you were to run it, your repair should hold up just fine as there are basically 6 screws supporting the front suspension.
Yea I'm not too worried about it as far as durability. I cranked down on it pretty hard when I was mocking everything up last night and it didn't budge so the repair should be pretty strong. Hell, it is structural adhesive, parts of full size vehicles are glued together with it.... haha.

As far as one never being enough, you are absolutely correct. I just got a super clean B stamp stealth roller today. Not a scratch on the pan and only a couple scuffs on the front plate. Going to make a really nice period correct club race shelfer out of that one probably. I have a couple other pans that have some really nice custom milling on them as well so I don't want those to go to waste.....

Racerx336

Post by Racerx336 »

Aaaaand it is together. Need to source a couple things like Tires/Wheels, shock tower wing mounts, smaller spur, body, etc. Pretty happy though!

TRX-1-3
Approved Member

Post by TRX-1-3 »

Got some more stuff in the mail today. Glad I made it home before the wife!
Ha! So true. We have a PO BOX and there are a lot of strategic interceptions on my part. Looking good.

Mark
Hope you're doin' something fun.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Lookin' good! 8) I have a powder coated DS about the same color as your chassis. Kind of a weird pic, but it was the first one in my photobucket I ran across of my DS.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken