YellowDatsun's lucky find of the century.

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...
yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Re: YellowDatsun's lucky find of the century.

Post by yellowdatsun »

Sorry again for the bad quality pics. I always hated how the stock aluminum screws stripped the phillips head. Plus, now that I have aluminum hinge blocks, the next thing to break was the aluminum bolts. So I got enough 8/32 stainless bolts to do the whole car. The heads were a little bigger than stock, so I had to angle ream out the rear holes in the chassis so they'd sit closer to flush.

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

Installed a new carbon fiber shock tower, which accepts B5 style wing mounts.

It may not be as pretty or fancy as many of your guy's cars, but it's a runner, and gets used. As you can see from the butchered chassis protector in one of the previous pics. The front wing does indeed work, it helps keep the nose on the ground on the straights. Otherwise it wheelies constantly.

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

Been running the car for some time now, and that plastic-geared stealth with the B4 slipper STILL hasn't stripped any gears. So my expensive all-metal stealth still sits on the shelf. The only workout it gets is me turning the slipper nut by hand to roll the gears because it's sooo sweet.

Been playing with that front wing, on and off the car, and it does indeed make a difference in keeping the front end down helping to prevent wheelies, and also allows me to take high speed corners quicker. So it may look dumb, but it works, and doesn't look nearly as stupid as the cab forward bodies of newer cars :-)

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

I shoulda started threads for each car, but by now they're so inter-mingled I'll just leave it alone.

Anyways, on to the black car with the ripped paint body. I got my period correct rear wheels in, and period look rear tires. That era being around 1990-1992, I believe, actually it's hard to say since it was so long ago now. Regardless, I came here to say, My God, are those tires hard to get on the wheels! Jeezus. Do I just not remember it not being that hard years back, or what? As or late I've grown so accustomed to putting on very soft tires for the clay track, and semi-soft for our outside dirt track. I'm sure there's tricks to soften them for assembly, but man, I don't remember that either.

The front wheels are on their way. Not sure what to do about front 2.0 tires yet though, spikes or ribs. I know I ran both. From a look standpoint, this re-re will look nearly identical to my car way back when.

Now I need to find a nice Slot Machine motor. It's the only one that stands out in my memory.

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

My re-re is finally the way my car was way back in the early 90's. Sam,e wheels, paint, etc. Makes me happy to see it on the shelf with the right wheels.

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

So I have "finished" the childhood replica. I got the electronics as close as I could. Airtronics receiver, Novak speedo, Sanyo batteries, and a Slot Machine motor. It may not me perfect, but it's darn close. I do have a period correct servo that I need to find and install, but this one is servo taped to the chassis like we used to do. The one thing that's wrong with it, is the Deans connectors, these are the two blade type, and not the 4 pin we used to use. I also have an Airtronics XL-2P radio for it.

I want to find a way to lift the body above the chassis, like the way hot rodders do, with the hood level on 4 posts. So everyone can see the stuff underneath. Then I'll park it next to my restored Edinger car in the display case.