WILL IT WORK?? my offset oval rc10

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

longboardnj
Approved Member

WILL IT WORK?? my offset oval rc10

Post by longboardnj »

I love mixing rc10 parts and making my own rc10s. (like my 15 inch wide rc10 http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=32513) . a trip to my old dirt oval rc track got me thinking of the offset oval rc10 i always wanted to build . so i said what the heck get the parts bin out and do a mock up/ test build. its got short arm on left front, world car wide arm on right front,stock buggy left rear arm and rc10t right rear arm. anyone try a setup like this? wanted some opinions before i go nuts putting on another chassis, stealth trans and giving it a race ready set up.
Attachments
.01 offset oval rc10.jpg

harvey
Approved Member

Re: WILL IT WORK?? my offset oval rc10

Post by harvey »

Looks like you're close, why not wire up and let us know how you like it?
I have heard die hard oval guys (which I'm not) say that different length arms left to right leads inevitably to different spring rates and a host of handling quirks, which makes sense to me. Maybe doing some maths re: leverage ratios could diminish the discrepancy.

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I made an oval car with an offset chassis, DS suspension on the left and B2/3 on the right. I drove it in the street a couple of times but not on a track so I couldn't tell you how well it went :lol:
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

twisted
Approved Member

Post by twisted »

i raced dirt oval for many years. back in the day these type of cars were the norm on the east coast but todays cars are vastly different and faster.

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

twisted wrote:i raced dirt oval for many years. back in the day these type of cars were the norm on the east coast but todays cars are vastly different and faster.
new stuff is faster but i dont like any new rcs with fat shocks and can only run shorty lipo packs.

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

RC10th wrote:I made an oval car with an offset chassis, DS suspension on the left and B2/3 on the right. I drove it in the street a couple of times but not on a track so I couldn't tell you how well it went :lol:
sounds cool wish i didnt sell my ds

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

harvey wrote:Looks like you're close, why not wire up and let us know how you like it?
I have heard die hard oval guys (which I'm not) say that different length arms left to right leads inevitably to different spring rates and a host of handling quirks, which makes sense to me. Maybe doing some maths re: leverage ratios could diminish the discrepancy.
yea looks like ill be testing it but its far from done . needs alot more then it looks . kinda just wanted to see if anyone had pics of an oval set up like this for more ideas.

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

So now you have me interested in performing this modification to an oval truck or two of my own. However, I'm not really interested in figuring out turnbuckle lengths and building them up if this won't be much of an improvement. So give yours a try and report back ASAP :!: :lol:
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

I personally don't like different length arms. The change on roll center is vastly different for each side of the car. It is for a camber link change too though but a longer arm has less angular change through travel as a short arm does. The means that the shocks on different sides will have different amounts of leverage on the arms at the same corresponding ride heights. Remember, that every corner is connected by a straight. Initial acceleration and straight line performance may suffer a bit. I prefer a car that has a suspension geometry that is symmetrical from side to side but varies the weight location to one side and then re-balances spring rates to compensate. That allows for good cornering but also good straight line performance and acceleration.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store