Buggy re-designers.

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Buggy re-designers.

Post by yellowdatsun »

There are some seriously gifted individuals out there, on this forum, who *really* should be in their own business making RC cars. There's a few people with the knowledge, skills, and most importantly, the equipment, to build these one-offs. The Nix10M and RCC are 2 that come to mind. What I REALLY think you guys need to do is not limit yourselves to making a 30+ year old car work a *little* bit better, or in some case not even better, just different, ......but instead take said skills/equipment and make new competitive RC cars. You guys have the knowledge of how to make a 30 year old car competitive, surely you could make a world class car without the limitations of using 30 year old parts as the basis of the design. No?

For me, I like the RC10, the way it came from the factory, whether that be A-stamp gold tub, or black re-re Worlds. Those cars just do it for me. The fact that my RC10T buggy conversion can keep pace with a lot of guy at the track says a lot about that original design, it's REALLY good as is. So my thought it this, and I know some of you will kill me for it, it seems like you're wasting your talent modding something that's just never gonna pan out realistically. Start fresh, maybe use the RC10 as a "mold" to build from, but don't let it be your limiter.

As for making custom parts, what's the deal with remaking parts that are no longer in production? I have an A&L front shock tower I'd like reproduced. I'd take at least 3 so I can have indefinite spares. If they no longer make them, or sell them, can someone else reproduce them?

In addition, for you guys churning out graphite and CF parts, why not just do a run of replacement CF/graphite chassis's? Maybe alter them just enough that there's no copyright infringement? I'd think you could sell a fair share of them, and being slightly altered, it's not going to piss off the original-parts-only crowd.

Just my thought for the day...., carry on.

teman
Approved Member

Re: Buggy re-designers.

Post by teman »

Ask Mr. Lane if you want more of those towers, he may have some still.
http://vintageteamaandl.com/
-Kevin

pumpkinfish
Approved Member

Post by pumpkinfish »

yellowdatsun,

While I may agree with you and your assessments, ask yourself this...when is the last time you saw an X-Factory car at the track? They use very few associated parts in their "conversions" and yet they are rare at tracks. If you look at mass produced cars, how many Yokomo's do you see? Great car, excellent quality but largely an exotic buggy here in America. If the guys here want to do a ground up car designed by talent on this board I would support them and purchase the buggy.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I understand what you're saying, and I feel it's a pretty simple answer. This is a vintage centric place. That's what the passion is of the members who post here. There is an abundance of R/C forums out there that cater to the modern models with members who possess the same skills. If you want to see a modern model made entirely from scratch, there are other websites suited for just the thing.

Daryl Lane
Approved Member

Post by Daryl Lane »

yellowdatson your question was the basis for Chris and I starting A&L mfg. Just as it was for some of the R/C after market companies of the day, but going from parts to a complete car is all about the $$$$$$$$$$.

Chris and I designed 3 or 4 complete cars and a couple of trucks we just ran short of that one thing. I think some of the issue with the your younger gens is the plug and play world we now live in, when I was growing up it was all about kit bashing ans making your own thing out of a store bought product. Radio shack was about buying parts to make your own radio.. Today people buy things, if they do not work they trash it and buy something else. Look at how people have to have a new cell phone ever 6 months..

Ok I'll stop.
Old is more FUN

Team A&L know it all - really :)

LINK TO TALK A&L Off topic/Chit Chat http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=31149

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Lowgear wrote:I understand what you're saying, and I feel it's a pretty simple answer. This is a vintage centric place. That's what the passion is of the members who post here. There is an abundance of R/C forums out there that cater to the modern models with members who possess the same skills. If you want to see a modern model made entirely from scratch, there are other websites suited for just the thing.
That's basically my answer as well. It's a vintage based r/c forum, why would guys not be messing with 30 year old cars?

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

scr8p wrote:
Lowgear wrote:I understand what you're saying, and I feel it's a pretty simple answer. This is a vintage centric place. That's what the passion is of the members who post here. There is an abundance of R/C forums out there that cater to the modern models with members who possess the same skills. If you want to see a modern model made entirely from scratch, there are other websites suited for just the thing.
That's basically my answer as well. It's a vintage based r/c forum, why would guys not be messing with 30 year old cars?
Cause we're old farts now :lol:
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

durb69
Approved Member

Post by durb69 »

scr8p wrote:
Ok I feel the same boys. I have guys ask me all the time if I would make parts for new cars. Basically the answer is no because I have zero interest in modern RC. These old cars do it for me. Kind of like a guy who likes older women :lol: I just don't care to go for the younger ones :shock: Could I step out of 30 years ago and make a full time job building exotic new cars. I don't know, maybe. But in the mean time i'm just going to do my thing. Thanks you for your thoughts. Ill entertain some of you ideas in the future. :D

With that said. here is some of my latest builds based on the old stuff 8)

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

I think some of you kinda missed the point, or I explained it wrong. Those select few people who have these abilities could have a good shot at making their own company a reality. Maybe they aren't interested in that, and only want to play with the old cars, and I'm *totally* fine with that. I just thought it's be a good business opportunity for them to start something new. If they have no interest in new cars, so be it, that's fine.

If not a new style car, what about a Mid RC10 "kit" that accepts shorty stick packs?

I *DO* appreciate the guys making new parts for these old buggies. QWhile I don't have any of them (currently), I still appreciate that they are going through the trouble to make new things for a 30+ year old car.

As for my A&L shock towers, I had already contacted one of the guys from A&L, and they no longer carry any of the shock towers I want. I assume they sold out years back.

But what about making the CF chassis, similar to the "Carbon Graphite" associated cars that used to be sold? RCC has already made his own version, which is awesome, but for guys like me who run Lipo stick packs (stock and shorty's) it doesn't work too well.

Anyways, it was just an idea...............

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Carbon mid with shorty sticks :D
Attachments
nix10m_graphite_016_zps2asllu6g.jpg
nix10m_graphite_016_zps2asllu6g.jpg (41.42 KiB) Viewed 1575 times
nix10m_graphite_016_zps2asllu6g.jpg
nix10m_graphite_016_zps2asllu6g.jpg (41.42 KiB) Viewed 1575 times
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

yellowdatsun wrote: As for my A&L shock towers, I had already contacted one of the guys from A&L, and they no longer carry any of the shock towers I want. I assume they sold out years back
I have several drawn up, which are you looking for?
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

That shorty setup is sweet. I've just never cared for the big brick packs.

This is the shock tower I'm after. For the buggies, running truck front shocks. I bought a blank of 3mm black fiberglass to duplicate my own, but obviously it'd be easier to just buy a set of two. I REALLY love this shock tower, as it works the best with the truck arms and shocks, while still allowing me to run the buggy body.

Looks like this guy has the same shock tower:
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14009

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

Some of you guys kinda already have, but maybe you should all put together packages so people can do conversions if they so desired? Personally, I don't have the money to purchase any of this beautiful stuff at the moment, maybe next year I can do an RC10-Mid.

GoMachV
Approved Member

Post by GoMachV »

I have that one already drawn up and ready to cnc.
Ill post up a pic of the car drawing to verify
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

Daryl Lane wrote:Radio shack was about buying parts to make your own radio.. Today people buy things, if they do not work they trash it and buy something else. Look at how people have to have a new cell phone ever 6 months..
YES. One of the reasons I got into RC was my youngest son was curious about it. So we sat down and I showed him how it works. That led to us buying one online, tearing it down and rebuilding it. He did everything himself (with my guidance) and now in his high school electrical / tech class, the teacher asks HIM for help with the class! lol

My point is, the skills we have in building / designing / troubleshooting etc are a lost art and a dying breed. Quite frankly, the imagination and skill that many of you have is astounding to me. I certainly don't have the fabrication skills or imagination (or patience) to do what so many of you guys do.

But, it would be cool to see someone design a ground up new buggy, but have it based on the best of the vintage stuff. For example, you could take the best of AE, and the other vintage buggies and design something totally new and groundbreaking.

I'd also love to see an 'official' Ten4 kit or a Nix10 kit from AE for example - but have it based on the stuff made here.
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars